Carrot and coriander is a classic flavour combination and they make a delicious soup together. A warming, healthy and low in fat and calories soup that is also quick and easy to make. Carrot and Coriander Soup is a hearty budget friendly meal - perfect served with some crusty bread.
We love a warming healthy soup and this is one of our favourites. This soup is a great way to use up a big bag of carrots and have a tasty and nutrient dense meal. This is a vibrant and flavour packed soup, that you can vary the herbs and spices used to mix it up each time.
If you have grown an abundance of carrots, got lots in your vegetable box, or just picked up some cheap in the supermarket, then this soup is a great way to use them up.
Looking for some other ways to use carrots? Why not try our Air Fryer Carrots, Carrot and Lentil Soup, Roasted Carrot Hummus or Carrot and Coriander Side Salad.
Why you will love it
- A delicious way to use carrots - If you have lots of carrots to use up, this is a great way to do it. Even if they are a little past their best, they will still be fine in this soup.
- Easy to adapt with different flavours - If you don't love coriander, then you could use parsley. You could even make a curry version of this soup.
- Just 73 calories per portion - This is a low calorie light lunch.
- Low in fat - It is also a great low fat option, but still really filling.
- Olive oil - You could use vegetable oil, but we prefer the flavour of olive oil.
- Onion - This is the base of the soup. You could swap it for shallots, which would give a sweeter taste.
- Carrots - The star of this soup. We have used basic supermarket carrots to make this a really budget friendly meal.
- Potato - This helps to thicken the soup and make it a little bit creamy.
- Stock - Always use homemade stock if you can. If not, use the best quality stock you can buy. We used vegetable stock to keep this soup vegetarian. If making this for young kids, then use a low salt stock.
- Coriander - We used ground coriander and fresh.
- Creme fraiche - This is dolloped on top before serving to make it a little bit creamy. You can leave this out if you prefer.
A full ingredients list with measurements is in the recipe card below.
Step by step
One: Heat some oil in a large pan and add the onion and cook on a low heat for 2 minutes.
Two: Add the carrots and potato and cook for 2 minutes.
Three: Add the stock, some salt and pepper, and ground coriander and bring to the boil and then gently simmer for 20 minutes. Add a little more water if it looks too thick.
Four: Add the fresh coriander and using a hand blender or putting it in a jug blender, blend until smooth.
Health benefits of carrots
Carrots are a good source of beta carotene, which is a compound your body changes into vitamin A, which helps keep your eyes healthy. Beta-carotene helps protect your eyes from the sun and lowers your chances of cataracts and other eye problems.
They are also a good source of fibre, which will help to keep you fuller for longer, as well as vitamin K1, potassium, and antioxidants. So this is a nutrient dense soup.
What to serve with carrot and coriander soup
We topped ours with some creme fraiche and sprinkled over some more coriander and chilli flakes. This is a really low calorie soup, so we always serve it with some kind of bread.
A couple of slices of buttered crusty bread go down well. But, why not do something a little different and serve with some some warm pita bread or even our Easy Homemade Flatbreads?
If you want to take the flavours in this soup to another level, then roast the carrots before adding them to the pan. Chop them up, toss with some olive oil, salt and pepper and roast for about 30 minutes. Roasting them will really bring out the flavour.
We love coriander - it's one of our favourite herbs. But, I know not everyone is a fan and some people think it tastes like soap. I would be surprised if there are any coriander hating people reading this recipe, seeing as it's an integral ingredient, but if there is you can make a swap.
You can swap the coriander for fresh parsley, or even another chives for an oniony flavour. I wouldn't recommend swapping it for a woody herb though.
You can freeze it, however it might change the texture a little. When reheating, add a little extra water to the pan, as it will be a little thick. This is a pretty quick and easy soup to make though, so I would recommend making it from fresh.
This soup is naturally vegan anyway. Winner! We have added some creme fraiche at the end for serving, but you could either leave that out or add some oat creme fraiche instead.
If you leave our the creme fraiche then this is a vegan soup. Oatly do a plant based creme fraiche too though.
• Coriander is pretty much the main flavour in this soup, but you could swap it for parsley if you wanted a carrot soup without coriander.
• If blending this in a jug blender, allow to mostly cool first, so the heat doesn't crack the blender.
• Add some croutons on top for some extra crunch.
• If you want to take the flavours in this to another level, roast the carrots before adding them to the pan.
• Spice this soup up a little with a sprinkling of red chilli flakes before serving.
• You can make this more of a filling soup by stirring in a can of chickpeas.
• If you are making this soup for young children, then use a low salt stock.
More soup recipe
If you’ve tried this Carrot and Coriander Soup recipe, let us know how you got on in the comments below.
Tag us in your creations on Instagram @hungryhealthyhappy - Use the hashtag #hungryhealthyhappy too.
Carrot and Coriander Soup
- 1 teaspoon Olive oil
- 1 Onion - diced
- 500 g (1.1 lb) Carrot - peeled and diced
- 1 Potato - peeled and diced
- 1.5 litres (6 cups) Vegetable stock
- 0.5 teaspoon Ground coriander
- 15 g Fresh coriander (cilantro) - plus extra for garnish
- 2 tablespoon Creme fraiche - (to serve, optional)
- Heat some oil in a large pan and add the onion and cook on a low heat for 2 minutes.1 teaspoon Olive oil, 1 Onion
- Add the carrots and potato and cook for 2 minutes.500 g Carrot, 1 Potato
- Add the stock, some salt and pepper, and ground coriander and bring to the boil and then gently simmer for 20 minutes. Add a little more water if it looks too thick.1.5 litres Vegetable stock, 0.5 teaspoon Ground coriander
- Add the fresh coriander and using a hand blender or putting it in a jug blender, blend until smooth and pour in bowls, top with some creme fraiche and sprinkle over some more coriander and serve.15 g Fresh coriander (cilantro), 2 tablespoon Creme fraiche
- Coriander is pretty much the main flavour in this soup, but you could swap it for parsley if you wanted a carrot soup without coriander.
- If blending this in a jug blender, allow to mostly cool first, so the heat doesn't crack the blender.
- Add some croutons on top for some extra crunch.
- If you want to take the flavours in this to another level, roast the carrots before adding them to the pan.
- Spice this soup up a little with a sprinkling of red chilli flakes before serving.
- You can make this more of a filling soup by stirring in a can of chickpeas.
- If you are making this soup for young children, then use a low salt stock.
Carrot and coriander soup is always a favourite in our house. So much flavour and such a bonnie colour. Yours looks fab.
This looks so delicious and flavorful! My hubby and I are going to love this recipe! I can't wait!
Your carrot and coriander soup looks delicious. I like the sound of adding some chilli flakes at the end, my kind of soup. Thanks for sharing.
Thank you for the recipe, it was absolutely delicious and we all loved it!
I've never combined coriander and carrot before but this was delicious! And loved that the potato made it creamy without adding actual cream. YUM.. great recipe :)
Nart at Cooking with Nart
This looks delicious. I love cilantro but have never used it in any Western-style soups. Adding this to my to-try list!
I'd never thought of adding coriander in carrot soup, it sounds delicious!
It adds so much flavour. I hope you enjoy it!
Lauren Vavala | DeliciousLittleBites
I always forget that some people call cilantro coriander (and vice versa!). What a delicious combination of flavors for soup! It sounds so healthy and immune boosting!
Yum. I haven't had this kind of soup in a long, LONG time!
Charlie @ The Kitchen Shed
This looks great! I love carrot and coriander soup. We are having carrot, coconut and ginger soup tonight for a change. Carrots are delish!
Miss Kitty Kaos
I love soup and this looks so delicious and I think with your instructions even I could make this!
Maria @ runningcupcake
I love soup like this- so simple but so tasty.