This Carrot and Coriander Side Salad is a light and sweet salad that is delicious with a curry or noodle dish. A great way to add some extra vegetables to your meal and bursting with flavour from all the herbs and an incredible soy and sesame dressing. This carrot salad has it all!
This is a very simple side salad and that's the way they should be. If you love our Asian Slaw, then you are going to love this carrot salad! Something you can make in under 5 minutes whilst the main meal is cooking away.
You wouldn't usually think to put a salad with a curry, but this isn't your normal lettuce salad, but instead it is packed full of carrots and herbs.
Why you will love it
- Ready in less than 5 minutes
- A great way to enjoy carrots
- Perfect with a curry or noodle dish
- Good for batch making
- Carrots - the star of this salad, and a really cheap ingredient to buy making it a budget side dish. We just used standard supermarket orange carrots, however you could use some yellow and purple carrots too.
- Shallots - these add some extra sweetness to the carrot salad, as well as some extra crunch. You could use a yellow onion instead.
- Coriander (cilantro) - this adds SO much flavour to the salad. I know that not everyone is a fan of coriander, so you could swap it for parsley.
- Lime - an easy way to add some freshness to the salad and lime and coriander go so well together. You could use lemon instead.
- Sesame oil - the base of the Asian style dressing. You could use olive oil instead, but sesame oil has such a great flavour.
- Sesame seeds
- Soy sauce - the saltiness from the soy sauce helps to balance out the sweetness of the carrots. Use a reduced salt soy sauce if you want to lower the salt levels.
A full ingredients list with measurements is in the recipe card below.
Step by step
One: Put the grated carrots into a large bowl.
Two: Add the shallots.
Three: Add the chopped coriander (cilantro).
Four: Mix together the lime juice, olive oil, soy sauce, cumin and salt and pepper and pour over the carrot mixture. Add the sesame seeds.
Five: Mix together and serve.
What is a carrot salad?
Salads aren't just about lettuce! Sweet and crunchy carrots make up the base of this salad, making is a side salad that you can serve with a curry or noodle dish. Whilst a carrot salad is something you would usually find on the menu at a French restaurant, this is our Asian twist on it.
A base of shredded carrot mixed with chunky shallots, loads of fresh lime and coriander and an incredibly simple soy and sesame dressing.
What carrots to use
We used just standard supermarket orange carrots. However, you could add a variety of colour to this carrot salad with some yellow and purple carrots too.
We have grated the carrots, but you could finely dice them instead. If you want even more flavour from the carrots, roast them first and keep this as a diced carrot salad.
You don't even just have to use carrots. Why not change this recipe up a bit and add grated parsnip, beetroot and squash too - they will add lots of colour.
This is a really simple dressing of sesame oil, soy sauce, lime and cumin mixed with some fresh coriander.
I know this is going to divide people, as not everyone is a fan of of coriander. But we LOVE it and think it pairs beautifully with carrots. If you don't love it and think it tastes like soap (a common opinion it seems), then swap it for some fresh parsley instead.
You could even use chives or some basil. But give the coriander a go, as it really works.
When it comes to side dishes, this is a super healthy one. Carrots are rich in beta-carotene, which is a compound your body changes into vitamin A. Vitamin A helps to keep your eyes healthy and beta-carotene helps protect your eyes from the sun and lowers your chances of cataracts and other eye problems. Carrots are a super food for your eyes. If you use yellow carrots in this recipe, they contain lutein, which is also good for your eyes.
We just used a box grater to grate up the carrots for this carrot salad, however you could throw them in a food processor that has a grater attachment to save your a few minutes.
You might not usually think to have a salad with a curry, but this crunchy carrot salad goes really well with it. Why not try it with our Slow Cooker Thai Chicken Curry, Easy Mushroom Curry, Slow Cooker Beef Curry, 10 Minute Chickpea and Spinach Curry, or Easy Three Bean Curry.
Unlike a green garden salad which can go limp and soggy in the fridge, this salad actually tastes even better the next day as it has time to take on all the flavour of the dressing. Store it in an air tight container in the fridge and it will be fine for 48 hours.
• I know not everyone is a fan of coriander, so you could swap it for fresh chopped parsley instead.
• Try not to over dress the salad, as it will make it soggy. You still want a little bit of crunch from the carrots.
• Let the salad rest for 30 minutes before serving.
• If you want to make this more of a filling salad, then add some cooked brown rice or some quinoa.
• Make this side salad in to a full meal by following the above and then topping it with some grilled chicken breast or some cooked halloumi.
• Add a little bit of spice by sprinkling some red chilli flakes on top before serving.
• This salad is already fairly sweet from the carrots (even more so if they are freshly grown), but you could make it even sweeter by adding a drizzle of honey.
• Carrot salad with raisins - raisins are a great addition to this and it then goes really well with a chicken korma.
More salad recipes
If you’ve tried this carrot salad recipe, let us know how you got on in the comments below.
Tag us in your creations on Instagram @hungryhealthyhappy - Use the hashtag #hungryhealthyhappy too.
Carrot and Coriander Salad
- 8 Carrot - peeled and grated
- 3 Shallots - diced
- 30 g (2 cups) Fresh coriander (cilantro) - chopped
- 1 Lime - (juice only)
- 1 tablespoon Sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon Soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon Sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 1 pinch Sea salt and black pepper
- Put 8 Carrot (grated) into a large bowl.
- Add 3 Shallots and 30 g Fresh coriander (cilantro).
- Mix together the juice of 1 Lime, 1 tablespoon Sesame oil, 1 tablespoon Soy sauce, 1 teaspoon Cumin and 1 pinch Sea salt and black pepperour over the carrot mixture.
- Add 2 tablespoon Sesame seeds. Mix together and serve.
- If you're not a fan of coriander, you could swap it for fresh chopped parsley instead.
- If you want to make this more of a filling salad, then add some cooked brown rice or some quinoa.
- Make this side salad in to a full meal by following the above and then topping it with some grilled chicken breast or some cooked halloumi.
- Add a little bit of spice by sprinkling some red chilli flakes on top before serving.
- This salad is already fairly sweet from the carrots (even more so if they are freshly grown), but you could make it even sweeter by adding a drizzle of honey.
- Carrot salad with raisins - raisins (or even sultanas) are a great addition to this and it then goes really well with a chicken korma.
Kezia @ Super Naturally Healthy
Simple is often the best:) I love salad with as an dishes - especially onions salads - although my husband might not agree!!
David @ Spiced
What a fun and easy side dish...I'm totally digging this! And good luck with that last photo shoot...you can do it! :-)
This would be good with an Asian glazed chicken breast. Looks good Dannii!
Renee @ Two in the Kitchen
What a perfect fresh little salad! This would be perfect for a light lunch any day! :)
This salad looks so pretty! Never had anything similar, but will be trying this one for sure! Pinned!
I have never had a coriander salad before but this looks really good! I'll have to give it a try! :)
Kelly - Life Made Sweeter
Yay for the photoshoot! So exciting! Love coriander and it sounds so refreshing and delicious in this salad!
I would love some more side dish recipes please. Something that is low in carbs too.
Alice @ Hip Foodie Mom
I love this salad!!! In Korean food, we often make a ton of vegetable side dishes . . I love this and love a good carrot salad!! and congrats to you!!! Wow, starting on the next set of HHH book photo shoots. so happy for you, Dannii!
Gayle @ Pumpkin 'N Spice
Oh what a pretty salad, Dannii! I love the green and orange colors. And the flavors sound just perfect!
Oooh this looks yum! I used to hate carrots AND coriander but now i love them both :)
I think my favourite side dish of all time has to be macaroni cheese but if we're talking healthy then I love some sauteed kale with loads of garlic and a tiny bit of sesame oil - delish!
Wow, that sounds exciting, starting to shoot the book!
This salad looks lovely. I'm sure it goes with everything, but I can see it being amazing with Thai!
Erin @ Miss Scrambled Egg
So healthy and fresh! This would go really well on a hummus wrap. :)
I can't wait to try this with your Thai curry. Also, I didn't know you had a book coming out. How exciting!
Ceara @ Ceara's Kitchen
Sometimes the simplest recipes like this are the absolute best!! :) Love coriander this time of year! I've been putting it on everything! Pinned!
So simple that even I could make it :-)
Oooo, I've never added sesame seeds to meals before, but this has made me add them to my shopping list for tomorrow.
Ooh you've made a simple carrot salad look so pretty. I bet it tastes delicious with the lime and cilantro.
I've recently started a diet so a dish like this, seeing how low in calories it is would be ideal as a side dish to fill me up more!
Bintu @ Recipes From A Pantry
I adore adding sesame seeds to salads. Try adding them to spinach Dannii.