* This is a sponsored post for [yellow tail] *
Liven up chicken breasts with this Easy Italian Chicken. It features all your favourite Italian ingredients like tomatoes, olives, red wine and basil, all mixed together in a beautiful sauce that brings baked chicken breasts to life. A great dish to feed a crowd, for date night or a special occasion like Valentine's Day. Perfect served with a glass of [yellow tail] Rosé.
You can never have too many delicious chicken recipes, right? We eat chicken a lot as it's easy and nutritious, but we often get stuck in a rut with how we eat it. This Italian Chicken recipe is our new favourite way to eat chicken breasts, as it has all our favourite Italian flavours and it's cooked in one pan too.
We love to serve this up for a romantic meal, alongside a glass of [yellow tail] rosé, as it's the perfect accompaniment to a meal with friends, family or your partner.
Why you will love it
- Under 300 calories per portion
- A new and easy way to use chicken breasts
- Easy to adapt and use up whatever vegetables you have
- Freezes well
Step by step
One: Firstly, heat the oil in a large pan and then add the chicken. Cook for 6-7 minutes, turning every couple of minutes. Take the chicken out and put to one side.
Two: Add to the pan the shallots, courgette, asparagus and cherry tomatoes and cook for 3 minutes.
Three: Add the tomatoes, herbs, balsamic and seasoning. Mix well.
Four: Put the chicken and vegetables into an oven dish.
Five: Mix well so that the chicken is covered.
Six: Cook in a preheated oven at 200°C/390°F/Gas 6 for 30-35 minutes, making sure the chicken is cooked through.
Seven: Sprinkle with basil and Parmesan before serving.
What is Italian chicken?
Italian Chicken is pretty much what it says on the tin (or dish), it's chicken with delicious Italian flavours. There is chicken breasts mixed with shallots, peppers, garlic, asparagus and courgette, covered in a simple sauce made of canned tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, oregano and basil.
What chicken to use
We used boneless and skinless chicken breasts to keep this dish as lean as possible, but you could use chicken thighs or legs instead. The cooking time could vary, and the nutritional values will change as well.
Chicken breasts can sometimes get a little dry, but this Italian Chicken is moist and juicy, so there is no need to worry about dry chicken here.
We think a glass of rosé goes perfectly with Italian Chicken, and we love [yellow tail] rosé which is why we have teamed up with them as one of their Partners in Wine.[yellow tail] are all about bringing happiness to the table and they share our passion for vibrant, flavoursome and approachable, which is how we try to make all of our recipes.
We like them to be colourful, full of flavour and without any fancy ingredients - just like this Easy Italian Chicken, which was inspired by [yellow tail] rosé.
We believe that wine should be used as you like it, with the food you like. No need for traditional pairing rules. And [yellow tail] agree too. The only thing they are serious about is quality, and you can taste the quality in every glass.[yellow tail] wine helps to make the every day moments more enjoyable and this Italian Chicken dish is one of our favourites to share.
What vegetables to use
We love a dish that is easy to adapt, and this is just that! No need to go out and buy new vegetables when you already have some in the fridge that need using.
You could add mushrooms, green beans, carrots, aubergine, broccoli, celery or leek in to this dish. Try to only use quick cooking vegetables, to keep this a quick and easy chicken dish.
What to serve it with
You have lots of options when it comes to what to serve with Italian Chicken. When we want a light and low carb meal, we will just have a big green salad with this. But it also goes well with Garlic Baked Potato Wedges or Italian Parmesan Potatoes.
It is also a really good topping for spaghetti, mashed potato or rice, or just serve it with a big chunk of crusty bread to mop up all the sauce.
Make this dish even easier by cooking it in the slow cooker. Simply put all the ingredients in to the slow cooker and cook on high for 3 hours or low for 7 hours.
This chicken dish will keep in the fridge for 2 days, or you can freeze it for up to 2 months. To reheat, make sure that it is thoroughly defrosted and then heat through in a pan with a little oil.
• Pound the chicken breasts first, as this makes them a little thinner and they cook a bit quicker and more evenly.
• Feel free to use whatever vegetables you have in your fridge. Try to only use quick cooking vegetables.
• Add some extra greens by stirring in some spinach about 5 minutes before it is ready.
• Add a little sprinkling of Parmesan cheese on top at the end to make this an extra special chicken dish.
• Serve with homemade potato wedges, on top or spaghetti, mashed potato or rice or just with some crusty bread.
• This dish will stay fresh in the fridge for 2 days, or in the freezer for 2 months.
More chicken recipes
If you’ve tried this Italian Chicken recipe, let us know how you got on in the comments below.
Tag us in your creations on Instagram @hungryhealthyhappy - Use the hashtag #hungryhealthyhappy too.
Easy Italian Chicken
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 600 g (1.25 lb) Chicken breast
- 4 Shallots - diced
- 1 Courgette (zucchini) - diced
- 10 Asparagus spears - cut in to chunks
- 10 Cherry tomatoes - halved
- 2 Garlic clove - crushed
- 400 g (2.5 cups) Chopped tomatoes - canned
- 4 tablespoon Balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoon Fresh basil - chopped
- 2 tablespoon Fresh oregano - chopped
- 1 pinch Sea salt and black pepper
- 20 Olives - mixed
- Preheat your oven to 200°C/180°C(fan)/400°F/Gas 6.
- Heat 1 tablespoon Olive oil in a large pan and then add 600 g Chicken breast. Cook for 6-7 minutes, turning every couple of minutes. Take the chicken out and put to one side.
- Add to the pan 2 Garlic clove, 4 Shallots, 1 Courgette (zucchini), 10 Asparagus spears20 Olives and 10 Cherry tomatoes and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add 400 g Chopped tomatoes, 2 tablespoon Fresh basil, 2 tablespoon Fresh oregano, 4 tablespoon Balsamic vinegar and 1 pinch Sea salt and black pepper. Mix well.
- Put the chicken and vegetables into an oven dish.
- Mix well so that the chicken is covered.
- Cook in the oven for 30-35 minutes, making sure the chicken is cooked through.
- Sprinkle with basil and parmesan before serving (optional).
- Pound the chicken breasts first, as this makes them a little thinner and they cook a bit quicker and more evenly.
- Feel free to use whatever vegetables you have in your fridge. Try to only use quick cooking vegetables.
- Add some extra greens by stirring in some spinach about 5 minutes before it is ready.
- Add a little sprinkling of parmesan cheese on top at the end to make this an extra special chicken dish.
- Serve with homemade potato wedges, on top or spaghetti, mashed potato or rice or just with some crusty bread
- This dish will stay fresh in the fridge for 2 days, or in the freezer for 2 months.
Love this, especially with all the delicious herbs - oregano and basil make any dish sing, in my opinion! I know I for one can never have too many ways to prep chicken, so keep those recipes coming. :)
I love how colorful this Italian chicken is and how it will make a great dinner for friends and family.
I've been craving olives lately so I can't wait to make this chicken dish!
This is one for the books! So delicious! Thanks for sharing!
Cathleen @ A Taste of Madness
Whenever I don't know what to make for dinner, I make chicken. But my rotation is starting to get boring, so I am going to have to bring something new in. This looks perfect for me!!
I love all of the fresh veggies! Especially the addition of olives. Gives it a nice rich flavor.