A rotisserie style seasoned chicken that is all cooked in the slow cooker. Only 2 minutes of prep as you just rub the chicken with the seasoned oil and then put it in the slow cooker for 4 hours. A Slow Cooker Whole Chicken makes a roast dinner so much easier and leaves your oven free for those crispy roasted veggies. Shred this chicken up and use in meals throughout the week.
We always used to buy a whole rotisserie chicken when we went shopping, and shredded it up for meals throughout the week, because we couldn't be bothered to roast a chicken in the oven. But there is literally no effort required here for slow cooker roast chicken. Just a glug of oil, a raid of your spice rack and let the slow cooker do the work. Perfectly cooked, juicy chicken that has so many ways to use it.
Why you will love it
- No effort "roast" chicken - There is minimal prep that goes in to slow cooker rotisserie chicken. Just mix together the seasonings and pour over the chicken and then cook.
- Cheaper - Using the slow cooker is cheaper than using the oven, so this a budget friendly way to cook a chicken.
- Loads of options for seasoning - Whatever your favourite chicken seasoning is, you can put it on this whole chicken in slow cooker.
- Versatile - This slow cooker roast chicken can be shredded up and used for meals throughout the week. We have given lots of ways to use it below.
- Perfectly cooked juicy chicken - If you have never cooked a whole chicken in a slow cooker before, then you are missing out as the chicken is perfect every time.
- Chicken - A whole chicken is what is needed for this recipe. Choose the size of your chicken based on the size of your slow cooker.
- Oil - We extra olive oil for slow cooking a roast chicken.
- Herbs/seasoning - There are so many options. For a classic roast chicken flavour, we used dried oregano and basil and then added some paprika and garlic granules too.
- Lemon - This helps to add moisture and really lightens up the slow cooker roast chicken.
A full ingredients list with measurements is in the recipe card below.
How to make Slow Cooker Whole Chicken -Step by step
One: Roll up three pieces of aluminium foil into balls and place them at the bottom of the slow cooker pot.
Two: Place the whole chicken on top of the foil balls.
Three: Mix together the dressing ingredients.
Four: Cover the chicken with the dressing.
Five: Cook for 7-8 hours on low or 4 hours on high.
What size chicken to use
We used a 1.6kg (3.5lb) chicken which will provide around eight servings. Of course you can use a larger chicken, but it depends on the size of your slow cooker. The slow cooker we used is a 4.5lt Crockpot DuraCeramic, which is perfect for this size chicken.
What to serve with Slow Cooker Whole Chicken
This chicken can be served with pretty much anything you like! Serve it with roast vegetables and potatoes for a great Sunday lunch, or just slice the chicken up for sandwiches.
If you are looking for lots of delicious roast dinner side dish recipes, then take a look at our post on How To Have a Healthy Roast Dinner.
You could add it to a salad, tacos or a curry - the options are only restricted by your imagination. Why not try it in our Chicken Caesar Salad?
You can adapt this to have a totally different flavoured chicken. Add your favourite spice blends like Fajita or Cajun and mix it with the oil and use in the same way. You could even use Chinese five spice for an Asian twist, or even curry powder.
Store: Once you have allowed the chicken to fully cool down, you can portion it out and put it in the fridge in an air tight containers and it will be good for up to 2 days.
Freeze: To freeze, allow it to cool fully and then put it in a freezable container and it will be good in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Defrost: You can defrost it in the freezer overnight.
Reheat: You can reheat it on the hob in other dishes (like pasta sauces or a curry) or on its own in the microwave, until piping hot throughout.
You might think you can skip this step, and whilst you technically could, you won't get the same results. The balls of foil act as a rack, and when the chicken releases all the juices when cooking, the foil stops it from steaming in the juices. You could put chunks of carrot and onion at the bottom and put the chicken on top of that too.
Whilst this slow cooker whole chicken is totally fuss free, it doesn't give you that crispy skin that you would get from roasting it. If you want that after slow cooking, then transfer the whole chicken to a baking tray and then put it under the grill (broiler) for 5 minutes, or until golden.
Don't waste the juices that come out of the chicken when cooking - save them to make a gravy. Add a little stock and then a cornflour slurry to thicken it up. You could use some gravy granules too to make it easier.
We have tested it both ways a few times and we find that having the chicken breasts facing up gives the best results.
The best way to ensure that it is cooked through is to use a meat thermometer. Chicken is cooked when it has an internal temperature of 75°C/167°F at the thickest part and not touching bone.
• Make different flavoured chicken with your favourite spice blend, like fajita of Cajun.
• This recipe is for a medium sized chicken, however that might be too big for your slow cooker, so check the size.
• Shred the chicken up and us it in meals for the rest of the week.
• Don't skip the foil ball step, as it stops the chicken from steaming in its juices
• If you want crispy skin, put the whole chicken under the grill for 5 minutes after it has finished cooking.
• Save the juices to make a gravy with.
• Be careful when lifting the chicken out of the slow cooker as it will try to fall apart. Try to get someone to help you and using spatulas all around it, slowly lift it out.
More slow cooker chicken recipes
Slow Cooker Whole Chicken
- 1.6 kg (3.5 lb) Whole chicken
- 3 tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 pinch Sea salt and black pepper
- 0.5 teaspoon Garlic granules
- 1 teaspoon Smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon Dried oregano
- 0.5 teaspoon Dried basil
- 0.5 Lemon - (juice only)
- Roll up three pieces of aluminium foil into balls and place them at the bottom of the slow cooker pot.
- Place the whole chicken on top of the foil balls.
- Mix together the dressing ingredients.
- Cover the chicken with the dressing.
- Cook for 7-8 hours on low or 4 hours on high.
- Make different flavoured chicken with your favourite spice blend, like fajita of Cajun.
- This recipe is for a medium sized chicken, however that might be too big for your slow cooker, so check the size.
- Shred the chicken up and us it in meals for the rest of the week.
- Don't skip the foil ball step, as it stops the chicken from steaming in its juices
- If you want crispy skin, put the whole chicken under the grill for 5 minutes after it has finished cooking.
- Save the juices to make a gravy with.
- Be careful when lifting the chicken out of the slow cooker as it will try to fall apart. Try to get someone to help you and using spatulas all around it, slowly lift it out.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and is calculated using online tools. Information can vary depending on various factors, but we have endeavoured to be as accurate as possible.