This juicy and full of flavour Honey Lime Chicken is just what you need for a winning BBQ this summer. A super easy marinade that is a perfect balance of sweet and salty, with plenty of zest from the lime. We have cooked this lime chicken recipe on the BBQ, but you can do it all in the oven too.
This honey with lime chicken has such an incredible flavour and with a perfectly crispy skin. Honey + Lime + Coriander is one of my favourite flavour combinations. We love the combination of sweet and salty, and then this has some freshness from the lime and herbs that just balances it all out.
A new summer BBQ chicken recipe for you to try, that the whole family will love. It's so simple, and you probably already have all the ingredients for the marinade.
Why you will love it
- A new way to make chicken more exciting - If you are bored of having chicken the same was all the time this honey lime chicken recipe is a good way to change things up.
- A super simple marinade - This is so easy to make, with no fancy ingredients.
- Family friendly - Leave the red chilli out and this is perfect for the whole family.
- Great on the BBQ - You can't go wrong with some chicken on the BBQ and this honey lime chicken recipe always goes down well.
- Chicken - We have used chicken drumsticks, as they are really budget friendly and juicy. However, you could uses chicken thighs instead. We wouldn't recommend using chicken breast as that tends to dry out. You want to use chicken that still has its skin on, as when it goes on the BBQ it gets nice and crispy.
- Lime - This is the star of the recipe. Depending on how juicy your lime is, you might need to only use half. We used juice and zest.
- Oil - We used a good quality olive oil.
- Ginger and garlic - We saved time and used a garlic and ginger paste. You could crush and grate your own though.
- Honey - This is a key flavour, so use the best quality runny honey you can.
- Soy sauce - This helps to balance out the sweet flavours. Because we have added this, we haven't added any extra salt.
- Coriander - Fresh coriander (cilantro) really adds some freshness to the chicken.
- Pepper - A generous pinch.
- Red chilli - This is optional, but we find the red chilli gives the honey lime chicken a nice kick.
How to make honey lime chicken - Step by step
Prep: Preheat your oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6.
One: Mix together all the ingredients for the marinade.
Two: Coat the chicken with the marinade and leave in the fridge for at least an hour.
Three: Put the chicken on a baking tray and cook in the oven for 25 minutes.
Four: Transfer to the BBQ to finish it off for a further 10 minutes.
BBQ or oven baked?
We have done both, to ensure that it is fully cooked on the inside, but still has that perfectly crispy skin without getting burnt. We pre-cooked the lime chicken in the oven for 25 minutes and then finished it on the BBQ for 10 minutes. If you want that smoky, charred taste then don't skip this step.
What to serve with honey lime chicken
This is a must at any BBQ, so you want to serve it up with all the usual delicious BBQ sides. Why not try our Greek Pasta Salad, No Mayo Potato Salad, Sweetcorn Salsa, Grilled Corn with Herb Butter, or Roasted Sweet Potato Salad.
Leftovers are great shredded up and put on a salad or stirred through your favourite pasta and sauce. Why not try our Leftover Chicken Pasta.
The internal temperature of cooked chicken should be at least 75°C (167°F). To get an accurate reading, we'd definitely recommend using a meat thermometer like a Thermapen.
If you don't have a meat thermometer, when cooked the chicken should have no pinkness to the meat and the juices should run clear. For more information, you can read some information form the Food Standards Agency.
For safety and for the quality of cooked chicken, refrigerate the chicken in shallow airtight containers or wrap tightly with heavy-duty aluminium foil or cling-film (Saran wrap). Stored this way, cooked chicken will keep for 3 to 4 days in fridge.
To freeze cooked chicken put in an airtight container or wrap the food well or put in freezer bags before freezing. Label it with a freezing date so you know how long it has been frozen for. Frozen chicken will be good in the freezer for 4 to 6 months.
Defrost on a plate on the bottom shelf of your fridge for at least 5 hours, but ideally overnight.
More chicken recipes
Honey Lime Chicken
- 8 Chicken drumsticks
- 1 Lime - (juice and zest only)
- 3 tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Fresh ginger - grated
- 4 Garlic clove
- 4 tablespoon Honey
- 2 tablespoon Soy sauce
- 5 g (0.33 cups) Fresh coriander (cilantro)
- 1 pinch Black pepper
- 1 Red chilli - (optional if you want some spice to it)
- Preheat your oven to 200°C/180°C(fan)/400°F/Gas 6.
- Mix together all the ingredients for the marinade.
- Coat the chicken with the marinade and leave in the fridge for at least an hour.
- Put the chicken on a baking tray and cook in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Transfer to the BBQ to finish it off for a further 10 minutes.
- You can make this spicy by adding a splash of your favourite chilli sauce to the marinade.
- If you don't have a BBQ, then you can cook this chicken just in the oven for 30 minutes, or until cooked through.
- You don't have to use chicken drumsticks, you could swap them for boneless chicken thighs.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and is calculated using online tools. Information can vary depending on various factors, but we have endeavoured to be as accurate as possible.