If you are looking for a lean burger this BBQ season, then chicken burgers are the way to go! Don't stick with a plain chicken burger when you can have this Cajun Chicken Burger. It's smoky, zesty and has a little bit of a kick to it. Pair is with some creamy slaw for a burger that will go down a storm at any BBQ.
This is not just any chicken burger, this is a juicy, Cajun spiced chicken burger. It doesn't stop there either. This burger is topped with a creamy lime coleslaw that compliments it perfectly.
Serve this spicy chicken burger with some homemade (cajun spiced) fries and you have yourself an epic burger and fries combo.
Why you will love it
- A new way to eat lean chicken - If you are looking for new ways to use chicken breast, then this chicken breast burger is a great place to start.
- Low in fat - These a grilled chicken burgers, rather than fried in oil so they are lower in fat.
- Low in calories - Just 400 calories per burger, including bun and slaw.
- Easy to adapt - You can change the seasoning and the toppings for this spicy chicken burger.
- Chicken - We used a chicken breast to keep this lean, however you could use boneless and skinless chicken thighs instead.
- Cajun spices - It's so easy to make your own spice blend. But, if you wanted to save time then you can use a good quality store bought one.
- Coleslaw - A creamy slaw cuts through the spiciness and makes this a really epic burger.
- Burger buns - We used ciabatta rolls for these cajun chicken burgers, but a brioche roll works well too.
A full ingredients list with measurements is in the recipe card below.
How to make Cajun Chicken Burger - Step by step
One: Pound the chicken breasts so they are an even thickness.
Two: Mix the spices and salt and pepper together and roll the chicken breast in them so they are evenly coated.
Three: With a paper towel, oil the BBQ or grill and place the chicken on it. Cook for 4 minutes each side making sure the chicken gets to 75°C.
Four Meanwhile, put all of the ingredients for the coleslaw into a large bowl and mix well.
Five: When the burgers are cooked, put them in the ciabatta rolls and top with coleslaw.
Sauce - We just had the sauce from the slaw, but you could also add our Homemade Burger Sauce, but pretty much any sauce goes. Why not try our Homemade Ketchup or Healthy BBQ Sauce? We also love our Chipotle Southwest Sauce.
Cheese - Anything that melts well will work here. Cheddar, mozzarella, blue cheese, goat's cheese, Swiss.
Bacon - Everything is better with bacon, right? You can do that in the air fryer too. Try our Air Fryer Bacon recipe.
Salad - I know, I know! But it does have a place in a burger. You could add some butterhead lettuce, but chopped little gem or iceberg would work. You could also add slices of tomato, onions or avocado. For a kick of heat, add some jalapenos.
These cajun chicken burgers really are the main event and they are pretty filling once you have all the toppings. However, if you wanted to make it into a bigger meal, then we have lots of suggestions for you.
We love hosting burger nights and to bulk it all out a bit we serve them with some of these sides that go down very well:
- Baked Jalapeno Poppers
- Air Fryer Corn on the Cob
- Cheesy Cauliflower Nuggets
- Parmesan Truffle Fries
- Baked Halloumi Fries
- Oven Baked Onion Rings
If you want to eat these burgers but don't fancy getting the BBQ out to make them, then you don't have to! You can cook the chicken breasts under the grill or even fry them for a super quick burger.
That is a Friday night winning dinner to me! These Cajun Chicken Burgers would be ready quicker than it would take for a takeaway to arrive.
Yes, you can season the chicken breast and then leave it in the fridge until you are ready to cook it.
Once the burgers are made up with the buns, sauces and toppings, they need to be eaten straight away. However, you can make extra of the burger patties themselves and store those. You can wrap them up and store them in an air tight container in the fridge for 2 days.
The same goes for freezing. You can't freeze the made up burger, but you can freeze the cajun chicken breasts. Wrap them in cling film and then put them in a freezer bag and they will keep for up to 3 months.
The burgers should be cooked after 4 minutes each side. However, we always like to use a food thermometer to check. The cooked temperature of chicken is 75°C/165°F. However, if you don't have a food thermometer, then it is best to use your judgement and stick a knife in it. It shouldn't be pink inside.
More burger recipes
Cajun Chicken Burger
For the chicken:
- 500 g (1 lb) Chicken breast - halved
- 1 tablespoon Ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon Smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon Ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch Sea salt
- 1 pinch Black pepper
For the coleslaw:
- 1 Carrot - shredded
- 0.25 Red cabbage - small; shredded
- 1 Little gem lettuce - shredded
- 3 tablespoon Greek yogurt
- 1 Garlic clove - crushed
- 1 pinch Sea salt
- 1 pinch Black pepper
- 1 Lime - (juice and zest)
- 4 Ciabatta rolls - to serve
- Pound the chicken breasts so they are an even thickness.500 g Chicken breast
- Mix the spices and salt and pepper together and roll the chicken in it so each piece is evenly coated.1 tablespoon Ground cumin, 1 tablespoon Smoked paprika, 1 tablespoon Ground coriander, 1 teaspoon Cayenne pepper, 1 pinch Sea salt, 1 pinch Black pepper
- With a paper towel, oil the grill of the BBQ and place the chicken on it. Cook for 4 minutes each side, making sure the chicken gets to 75°C/165°F.
- Meanwhile, put all of the coleslaw ingredients into a bowl and mix well.1 Carrot, 0.25 Red cabbage, 1 Little gem lettuce, 3 tablespoon Greek yogurt, 1 Garlic clove, 1 pinch Sea salt, 1 pinch Black pepper, 1 Lime
- Put the burgers into the ciabatta rolls and top with the coleslaw.4 Ciabatta rolls
- Want some cheese on this? Grilled halloumi would go very well on it.
- You can grill or fry these burgers instead if it isn't BBQ season.
- Use this cajun seasoning to sprinkle on salmon too and put it under the grill.
- These burgers are best eaten right away.
- You could make a low carb version of these by skipping the bun and using a giant lettuce leaf to hold the burger and toppings together.
- If you want this to cook quicker, then you could butterfly the chicken breast.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and is calculated using online tools. Information can vary depending on various factors, but we have endeavoured to be as accurate as possible.