If you are looking for a lean burger this BBQ season, then chicken burgers are the way to go! Don't stick with a plain chicken burger when you can have this Cajun Chicken Burger. It's smoky, zesty and has a little bit of a kick to it. Pair is with some creamy slaw for a burger that will go down a storm at any BBQ.
This is not just any chicken burger, this is a juicy, Cajun spiced chicken burger. It doesn't stop there either. This burger is topped with a creamy lime coleslaw that compliments it perfectly. Serve it with some homemade (cajun spiced) fries and you have yourself an epic burger and fries combo.
Why you will love it
- A new way to eat lean chicken
- Low in fat
- Just 400 calories per burger
- Easy to adapt with other spices
Step by step
One: Pound the chicken breasts so they are an even thickness.
Two: Mix the spices and salt and pepper together and roll the chicken breast in them so they are evenly coated.
Three: With a paper towel, oil the BBQ or grill and place the chicken on it. Cook for 4 minutes each side making sure the chicken gets to 75° Celsius.
Four Meanwhile, put all of the ingredients for the coleslaw in to a large bowl and mix well.
Five: When the burgers are cooked, put them in the ciabatta rolls and top with coleslaw.
Is it easy to make?
This is a really simple chicken burger, as you just mix some spices together, roll the chicken breasts in it and throw them on the barbecue grill.
You could always use a ready made Cajun mix, but it is just 5 ingredients to make your own, and I bet you already have them in your cupboard. This is a great way to make chicken breasts a little more exciting.
We use this Cajun mix to put on salmon and then put it under the grill for 12 minutes. Add that to a salad with a sprinkling of goats cheese and pine nuts. It's one of our favourite quick and simple salads. See, burgers and salads - that's what I call a balanced diet!
If you want to eat these burgers but don't fancy getting the BBQ out to make them, then you don't have to! You can cook the chicken breasts under the grill or even fry them for a super quick burger.
That is a Friday night winning dinner to me! These Cajun Chicken Burgers would be ready quicker than it would take for a takeaway to arrive.
Yes, they are much lighter than the average burger. You don't even need to have these as a burger at all. You can just cook up the chicken breasts and slice them up for a light summer salad, or even put them in tacos. Have you tried our Grilled Chicken Tacos?
If you want to make these Cajun Chicken Burgers even lighter, swap out the bread bun for a giant lettuce leaf.
• Want some cheese on this? Grilled halloumi would go very well on it.
• You can grill or fry these burgers instead if it isn't BBQ season.
• Use this cajun seasoning to sprinkle on salmon too and put it under the grill.
More burger recipes
If you’ve tried this Cajun Chicken Burgers or any other recipe on the blog then let us know how you got on in the comments below, we love hearing from you!
Tag us in your creations on Instagram @hungryhealthyhappy - we love sharing photos when people make our recipes. You can use the hashtag #hungryhealthyhappy too.
Cajun Chicken Burger
For the chicken:
- 500 g Chicken breast - halved
- 1 tablespoon Ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon Smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon Ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch Sea salt and black pepper
For the coleslaw:
- 1 Carrot - shredded
- 0.25 Red cabbage - small; shredded
- 1 Little gem lettuce - shredded
- 3 tablespoon Greek yogurt
- 1 Garlic clove - crushed
- 1 pinch Sea salt and black pepper
- 1 Lime - (juice and zest)
- 4 Ciabatta rolls - to serve
- Pound the chicken breasts so they are an even thickness.
- Mix the spices and salt and pepper together and roll the chicken in it so each piece is evenly coated.
- With a paper towel, oil the grill of the BBQ and place the chicken on it. Cook for 4 minutes each side, making sure the chicken gets to 75 Celsius (165 Fahrenheit)
- Meanwhile, put all of the coleslaw ingredients in to a bowl and mix well.
- Put the burgers into the ciabatta rolls and top with the coleslaw.
- Add some extra greens to this burger by topping it with Broccoli Slaw instead.
- Want some cheese on this? Grilled halloumi would go very well on it.
- You can grill or fry these burgers instead if it isn't BBQ season.
- Use this cajun seasoning to sprinkle on salmon too and put it under the grill.