Our homemade burger sauce couldn't be easier to make. Just 1 minute to make and you probably already have all the ingredients to make it. This is the BEST burger sauce and it will take homemade burger night to the next level.
What is burger sauce?
Well, it's sauce that you put on a burger. Although, we would happily dip homemade chips into this, so make extra! Basically, our homemade burger sauce is a mixture of mayonnaise, ketchup, hot dog mustard and then a little juice from a jar of pickles to thin it out. SO simple, but the flavour is incredible and just the kind of sauce you would get at a top burger restaurant.
If you love Big Mac sauce, then you are going to LOVE this. Our burger sauce recipe is smooth and creamy, with a slight tang to it.
If you are looking for some more sauce recipes, why not try our Homemade Ketchup, Healthy BBQ Sauce or Chipotle Southwest Sauce?
Why you will love it
- Minimal ingredients - Just 4 ingredients is all you need to make this homemade burger sauce, and you probably already have them in your kitchen.
- Quick and easy - It takes just 1 minute to make and it's as easy as mixing everything in a bowl.
- Adaptable - Although this recipe is simple, there are a few ways to adapt it in the extra tips section below.
- Versatile - Not just for burgers, this makes an incredible dipping sauce.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Mayonnaise - For the best flavour, go with full fat mayo. You could use reduced fat, or even replace half with yogurt, but it will totally change the flavour.
- Ketchup - We always go with Heinz as it's the best store bought one. It also isn't overly vinegary, which you don't want because you are adding the juice from a pickle jar. You could, of course, use our Homemade Ketchup.
- Mustard - You want hot dog mustard here. But if Dijon is all you have, then than would work too. English mustard is very strong and will overpower the other flavours.
- Pickle juice - This is the "secret" (not so secret now) ingredient for homemade burger sauce. Not only does it add the acidity that the sauce needs to balance out the creaminess, but it gives that pickle flavour that you need in a burger. If you don't have this, you can add white wine vinegar instead. You could also use lemon juice, which would add some freshness.
A full ingredients list with measurements is in the recipe card below.
How to make burger sauce - Step by step
One: Add all the ingredients to a bowl.
Two: Mix well.
How to use burger sauce
Well, the most obvious answer here is on a burger. We smothered this sauce on our Air Fryer Burgers, but it would also go well on our Baked Chicken Burgers, Hidden Vegetable Burgers or Lamb Burgers. It makes a good hot dog sauce too, when you can't decide between mustard and ketchup.
But, this is SO much more than just a burger sauce. It's a really good dipping sauce for potatoes. Whether it's our Paprika Chips, Air Fryer Chips, Baked Sweet Potato Fries or Air Fryer Potato Wedges.
We also think it makes a pretty amazing dip for our Baked Halloumi Fries too.
Frequently Asked Questions
Try to only make as much as you need, as it doesn't keep for too long. But any leftovers will keep in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
To make a vegan version of this, use a plant based mayo and serve it on your favourite vegan burger.
No, we wouldn't recommend freezing this as the texture isn't right when defrosted.
• For a little extra texture in your burger sauce, you could finely dice some shallots and mix them in. You could also add in diced pickles.
• Try to leave the sauce in the fridge for 30 minutes before serving. This allows all the flavours to really come together.
• You could add a pinch of onion powder for extra flavour.
• We don't season it with any salt, as there is already some in the ingredients used to make the sauce.
• Add a pinch of paprika to give the burger sauce a smoky flavour.
More sauce recipes
If you’ve tried this burger sauce recipe, let us know how you got on in the comments below.
Tag us in your creations on Instagram @hungryhealthyhappy - Use the hashtag #hungryhealthyhappy too.
The Best Burger Sauce
- 8 tablespoon Mayonnaise
- 6 tablespoon Ketchup
- 2 tablespoon Yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon Pickle vinegar
- Add all the ingredients to a bowl.
- Mix well.
- For a little extra texture in your burger sauce, you could finely dice some shallots and mix them in. You could also add in diced pickles.
- Try to leave the sauce in the fridge for 30 minutes before serving. This allows all the flavours to really come together.
- You could add a pinch of onion powder for extra flavour.
- We don't season it with any salt, as there is already some in the ingredients used to make the sauce.
- Add a pinch of paprika to give the burger sauce a smoky flavour.
Homemade condiments are the best. Perfect for burgers and sandwiches. I would even use it as a dip.
Loved loved loved this sauce! I used it for my chickpea burgers and it was terrific!
Josh and Erin
You weren't kidding when you said this was the best!
Thanks for this delicious sauce recipe. Pinned to try this soon.
Alison Saalbach Corey
Full of flavor and easy to make. My kid's will surely love this sauce!
Such a fantastic burger sauce. I'm putting it on everything going forward! I used white vinegar instead of pickle vinegar since I didn't have that at hand. Worked great.
I made this sauce for burger night last night and it was wonderful! Won't have a burger without it!
Oh yum! Definitely the perfect way to elevate burgers. I love how this sauce comes together in only a minute with four ingredients.
This sauce is incredible! We have a sauce called fry sauce where I live that is super popular. It is similar. I loved the addition of mustard to your sauce! Thank you!
Yum! The pickle brine was the secret ingredient! Love this sauce. We also dunked our oven fries into it.
Super easy and flavorful. We loved it!
Omg this sauce was so flavorful and easy to make! Adding the pickle vinegar was genius!