Sweet potato chips are high up on the list of the best side dish there is. They are simple to make, you can season them with anything and you can get them perfectly crispy without frying (by following our tips). These Baked Sweet Potato chips are a must for your next burger or pizza night.
If you love oven chips, then you need to try this recipe. These sweet potato chips will change your life. If sweet potato chips are a big part of your life that is. They are crispy on the outside, fluffy on the inside, and haven't been anywhere near a fryer. You can still get crispy sweet potato chips without frying - we have ALL the tips for you.
Why you will love it
- Great alternative to potato chips - If you love homemade chips, then this makes a nice change.
- Easy to adapt with different seasonings - You never have to have the same chips twice with all the different seasoning options out there.
- Crispy, without being fried - Follow all our tips and you can have crispy sweet potato chips without having to fry them.
- Sweet potatoes - Make sure to follow the tips below for soaking and drying the potatoes.
- Oil - We used a good quality olive oil, but vegetable oil or sunflower oil will work too.
- Cornstarch - Also known as corn flour. This is the secret ingredient to getting crispy sweet potato oven chips.
- Seasoning - We went with garlic, parsley, sea salt and black pepper
A full ingredients list with measurements is in the recipe card below.
How To Make Sweet Potato Chips - Step by Step
One: Preheat your oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6. Cut the sweet potatoes into fries about 1.5cm thick.
Two: Soak the fries in a bowl of water for 10 minutes. Dry with a towel.
Three: Place the dried sweet potatoes in a large bowl and add the oil, cornstarch, garlic and parsley and mix well.
Four: Place them on to a baking tray and spread out so there is enough space between the fries. Put them into the oven for 15 minutes. Flip the fries and then cook for a further 20 minutes, or until crispy.
Health benefits of sweet potato
Whilst there is nothing wrong with white potatoes (we love them), sweet potatoes make a nice change to regular fries and they have lots of nutritional benefits. Not only a good source of fibre, but packed with B vitamins and vitamin C too. They are also high in beta-carotene.
We could eat fries every day of the week, but having them the same way would get boring. An easy way to change them up each time is to use a different seasoning. Have you tried our French Fry Seasoning?
This recipe uses garlic granules, dried parsley and some salt and pepper. But you really could use anything you like. A Cajun or Fajita blend seasoning would work well, or just some chilli powder.
What to serve with Sweet Potato Chips
The great thing about these sweet potato chips are that there are so many different dishes that you can serve them with. Anything that you would serve potatoes with, you can serve with this potato dish. Why not try one of these:
- Oven Cooked Sausages
- Crispy Chicken Goujons
- Lamb Shish Kebabs
- Salmon Fishcakes
- Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
- Easy Hunters Chicken
- Pesto Salmon
- Caprese Chicken
Some kind of dip is a must with these too. We made a Sriracha mayo, but we have lots of other options. Why not try our Homemade BBQ Sauce, Jalapeno Sauce or Healthy Tomato Ketchup. We also love dipping potatoes into our Easy Tartare Sauce.
You can use this exact recipe to make air fryer sweet potato fries too and they will get just as crisp. You can even use a little less oil if you like, as that's one of the great things about an air fryer.
Nobody wants a soggy floppy sweet potato fry - it's all about the crispiness. When you get them in a restaurant, they are always perfectly crispy, but usually fried. We wanted to keep them baked, but still with some crispiness.
The key to getting them crispy in the oven is to firstly make sure they are thinly cut. Then, rinse them in cold water to get off any extra starch and then making sure they are dried of any water, so they crisp rather than steam. Cornstarch is also essential to a crispy baked fry, and you can mix it with the other seasonings before coating.
It's also important to make sure that you don't put too many fries in one pan and overcrowd them. They like their space, so use two pans if needed. Also, cook them at a high temperature. Following these simple steps will help you get that crispy baked fry that you want.
• To get crispy fries, soak them in water first and make sure they are dried well.
• Mix cornstarch with your seasoning for extra crispy fries.
• It's important to make sure you don't put too many chips in one pan, so space them out. Other wise they will steam and not get crispy.
• Make sure that they are all cut evenly so they cook at the same rate.
• Get creative with the seasoning. A Cajun or Mexican blend seasoning would work well.
More chip recipes
Baked Sweet Potato Chips
- 400 g Sweet potato
- 2 tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 pinch Sea salt and black pepper
- 2 tablespoon Cornflour (corn starch)
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon Garlic granules
- Preheat your oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6. Cut the sweet potatoes into fries about 1.5cm thick.
- Soak the fries in a bowl of water for 10 minutes. Dry with a towel.
- Place the dried sweet potatoes in a large bowl and add the oil, cornstarch, garlic and parsley and mix well.
- Place them on to a baking tray and spread out so there is enough space between the fries.
- Place them on to a baking tray and spread out so there is enough space between the fries. Put them into the oven for 15 minutes. Flip the fries and then cook for a further 20 minutes, or until crispy.
- To get crispy fries, soak them in water first and make sure they are dried well.
- Mix cornstarch with your seasoning for extra crispy fries.
- It's important to make sure you don't put too many chips in one pan, so space them out. Other wise they will steam and not get crispy.
- Make sure that they are all cut evenly so they cook at the same rate.
- Get creative with the seasoning. A Cajun or Mexican blend seasoning would work well.