These Oven Cooked Sausages are so quick and easy to make and they are healthier too because you don't need lots of oil. No oil splatter to clean up either and you get perfectly cooked sausages every time. You can use fresh or frozen sausages for this hands-off cooking method and it takes just 20-25 minutes. Follow all our tips for how to cook sausages in the oven.
Perfectly cooked sausages, all done in the oven! If your family love sausages, then these sausages cooked in the oven are going to make your life so much easier!
No standing over the frying pan, minimal clean up and you can use any sausages. You won't get the crispiness that you would from frying, but this method is healthier and easier.
Why you will love it
- Healthier - Unlike frying, you don't need to use lots of oil to cook these sausages in the oven. In fact, you don't need any oil for this recipe, although a little would help them to get crispy. This recipe is a much lighter option.
- Easy - You don't have to stand over the pan, turning them every couple of minutes to stop them burning. You just turn them once and you have perfectly cooked sausages.
- Minimal clean up - No oily pan and oil splattered walls to clean up. Just the oven dish the sausages are cooked in and that's super easy.
- Sausages - This is the only ingredient you need. The best thing about this recipe is that you can use any sausages. We have used thick Cumberland sausages, but we have given the cooking times for other options below.
A full ingredients list with measurements is in the recipe card below.
How to cook sausages in the oven - Step by step
One: Preheat your oven to 190°C/170°C(fan)/375°F/Gas 5. Put the sausages on a baking tray.
Two: Cook for 20-25 minutes, turning over half way through cooking.
The only ingredient is sausages, so there isn't much that you can change up. However, you can cook any sausages you want to in the oven, but the cooking time will vary. Here is our time guide for different sausages:
- Cocktail sausages (already cooked) - 8 minutes
- Chipolatas (breakfast sausages) - 15-18 minutes
- Thick Cumberland sausages (what we have used here)- 20-25 minutes
- Bratwurst - 25-27 minutes
- Frozen sausages - 40 minutes
What to serve with oven cooked sausages
To make this into a full meal, we like to serve it with some kind of potato. Here are some of our favourites: The BEST Mashed Potatoes, Garlic Potato Wedges, Hassleback Potatoes or Crispy Garlic Smashed Potatoes.
And then smother it in our amazing Onion Gravy!
Store: You can store cooked sausages in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Freeze: Once they are fully cooled, you can wrap them up and put them in a freezer bag and they will keep for up to a month.
Defrost: Defrost in the fridge overnight.
Reheat: You can reheat them in the air fryer. Put them in at 180°C for about 4 minutes until they are heated through. Or you can heat them through in the oven for 5-8 minutes. You can also reheat them in the microwave.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you don't want the skins to split and are worried about presentation, then you can pierce them a couple of times each. But for ease, but don't and we haven't had any problems with exploding sausages. We find that piercing them loses some of the flavour, but it does let some of the fat drain out too.
They will take around 20-25 minutes in the oven, depending on how you like your sausages cooked, the type of sausages you use and your oven. Every oven varies, so make sure to check them after 20 minutes. If you want your sausages really crispy, then you can cook them for 30 minutes.
The best way to ensure that meat is cooked is to use a meat thermometer. Sausages should be cooked to 74°C/165°F.
Yes, you can, as long as your baking tray is big enough. You need to make sure that the sausages are in a single layer and not overlapping otherwise they won't cook evenly.
Yes, you can, although it doesn't get the best results. If you want to use frozen sausages, then they should be ready frozen ones you can buy in the supermarket. If they are uncooked sausages you have frozen yourself then you need to defrost them beforehand.
No, there is no need to cover the sausages once they are in the pan.
More sausage recipes
How to Cook Sausages in the Oven
- 6 Sausages
- Oil - optional
- Preheat your oven to 190°C/170°C(fan)/375°F/Gas 5.
- Put the sausages on a baking tray.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes, turning over half way through cooking.
- You don't have to use pork sausages for this - you can use chicken and beef sausages too.
- Put foil in the baking tray if you want to make the clean up easier.
- Make sure you don't leave the sausages in the oven after baking. The heat will keep cooking them and they will become dry.
- Let the sausages rest for a couple of minutes before serving.
- Turn the sausages half way through. This will give more browning on two sides.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and is calculated using online tools. Information can vary depending on various factors, but we have endeavoured to be as accurate as possible.