Roasted Garlic Green Beans are an easy and delicious side dish that will go with pretty much anything. Just 5 ingredients (including seasoning) and ready in under 30 minutes - you will want to eat these straight off the pan.
These crispy green beans are the perfect side dish for all our your favourite meals. Bursting with garlic flavour, these roasted green beans are so simple to make and a delicious way to get some extra greens in your life. You can even make them a little more indulgent with a sprinkle of Parmesan if you like.
If you are looking for some other green bean recipes to try, then why not try our Slow Cooker Green Beans.
Why you will love it
- An easy side dish - These cooked green beans are so easy to make and most of the cooking time is them being in the oven, so it is very hands off.
- Just 5 ingredients - Minimal ingredients are needed to cook green beans and get the maximum flavour.
- Great for batch cooking - Easy to double or triple the recipe if you need to make extra.
- Just 154 calories per serving - Garlic Green Beans are a great low calorie side dish.
- Can be made more indulgent with some Parmesan - Cheese makes everything better and that definitely applies to this green beans recipe.
- Green beans - When it comes to buying green beans, pick only the ones that feel firm and crisp. Avoid green beans with bruises or discolouration, they should be green, as the name suggested. Good beans will snap easily and cleanly when fresh. Don't pick green beans with swollen or large pods.
- Oil - We used a really good quality olive oil.
- Garlic - Fresh is always best, but you could use ready chopped garlic in a jar to save you some time.
- Flaked almonds (optional)
A full ingredients list with measurements is in the recipe card below.
How to make garlic green beans - Step by step
One: Chop the ends off the green beans.
Two: Put them in a bowl with the olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper and mix well.
Three: Put them on a baking try and in the oven at 200°C/400°F/Gas 6 for 25 minutes (turning half way), until crispy.
Health benefits of green beans
Green beans are a great healthy side dish, especially as they are baked in olive oil. Plus, any opportunity to get some extra greens in your diet is a good thing I think.
Green beans are not only a good source of iron, but also fibre, folate, zinc and potassium.
We love a recipe that you can adapt and make your own, and this one is just that! One of our favourite ways to adapt it when we want something a little more indulgent, is to mix some grated Parmesan in to the bowl with all the other ingredients - it makes these beans lovely and crispy.
We let the garlic flavour shine through, but you can mix it up with some other flavours. Paprika and chilli work well if you want something smokey and spicy. You can also use your favourite spice blends like Mexican or Cajun.
Other ways to add extra flavour include a squeeze of lemon juice just before serving, or a sprinkling of crispy chopped bacon. We served ours with some flaked almonds for some crunch.
What to serve with garlic green beans
These garlic green beans pretty much go with anything, but our favourite dishes to serve it with are Slow Cooker Moroccan Chicken, Roasted Harissa Chicken, Stuffed Chicken Breast and Lemon and Rosemary Salmon.
Frequently asked questions
Any leftovers can be stored in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 2 days. You can reheat them in a frying pan in a little butter.
No, there is no need to boil them first, as they are roasted in the oven.
Yes, you can cook them on the hob instead if you prefer. You will need to par boil them for 2 minutes and then drain. You can then fry them in some butter and garlic.
Either they haven't been cooked for long enough, or they were past their prime. Try to use the freshest beans you can.
• You can make this easy side dish a little more indulgent by mixing some grated Parmesan in to it before it goes in the oven.
• Add some extra flavour with paprika and chilli, or your favourite spice blend.
• A little squeeze of lemon juice before serving adds some freshness to the dish
More side dish recipes
If you’ve tried this green bean recipe, recipe or any other recipe on the blog, then let us know how you got on in the comments below, we love hearing from you!
Tag us in your creations on Instagram @hungryhealthyhappy - we love sharing photos when people make our recipes. You can use the hashtag #hungryhealthyhappy too.
Easy Garlic Green Beans
- 250 g green beans
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves crushed
- 1 pinch sea salt and black pepper
- Flaked almonds for serving optional
- Trim the ends off the green beans.
- Put them in a bowl with the olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Put them on a baking try and in the oven at 200°C/400°F/Gas 6 for 25 minutes (turning half way), until crispy.
- You can make this easy side dish a little more indulgent by mixing some grated Parmesan in to it before it goes in the oven.
- Add some extra flavour with paprika and chilli, or your favourite spice blend.
- A little squeeze of lemon juice before serving adds some freshness to the dish.