Sautéed cabbage with garlic is a really simple and nutritious side dish that will go with almost anything. A low carb side dish, and ready in just 15 minutes. If you think cabbage is boring, you need to give this a try!
We LOVE cabbage and think it is seriously under-rated. Shredded green cabbage cooked low in butter and garlic until it starts to caramelise. This sautéed cabbage is a really budget friendly side dish that is nutritious and has plenty of flavour.
If you are looking for more ways to use cabbage, then why not try our Best Homemade Coleslaw, Cabbage with Cumin, Healthy Coleslaw (No Mayo), Slow Cooker Red Cabbage, or Crunchy Asian Slaw?
Why you will love it
- A new way to use cabbage - If you are not sure what to do with cabbage, then this sautéed cabbage recipe is a great place to start. So simple, but lots of flavour.
- Versatile - There are so many different ways you can serve this recipe. It goes great with a roast dinner or even with some grilled chicken or fish.
- Can be made in advance - You can make this in advance and then serve it when you make the main part of the meal fresh.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Cabbage - We used a savoy green cabbage for this, however there is no reason that you couldn't use a white cabbage or even a red cabbage.
- Oil - Use a good quality extra virgin olive oil.
- Butter - We used unsalted butter. If you use salted, then use less salt to season the dish.
- Garlic - This is used to flavour the oil and butter. Make sure to cook it slowly so it doesn't burn.
- Vinegar - This is added to flavour the cabbage.
- Salt and pepper - Generously season.
A full ingredients list with measurements is in the recipe card below.
How to make sautéed cabbage - Step by step
One: Finely shred the cabbage.
Two: Heat the oil and butter over a low heat.
Three: Add the cabbage.
Four: Cook over a low heat for 12-15 minutes, until the cabbage softens and starts to brown.
Five: Add the garlic, vinegar and salt and pepper. Mix well and continue to cook for further 1 minute.
What to serve with sautéed cabbage
We love cabbage as a side dish with a roast dinner, so it will go with any roast meat like our Slow Cooker Roast Beef or Best Roast Chicken. As well as some Air Fryer Roasted Potatoes or Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes.
We also love it with Slow Cooker Balsamic Chicken, Roasted Harissa Chicken, and Honey and Lime Chicken.
Store: This will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days, but your fridge might start to smell after a day or so! We tend to only make what we know we are going to eat straight away.
Freeze: We wouldn't recommend freezing this cabbage recipe.
Reheat: You can reheat it in a pan with butter for 2-3 minutes.
Frequently Asked Questions
You slice it in half all the way through and then lay on the cut side down and then thinly shred it.
Cabbage can give you excess gas, like other vegetables such as asparagus, broccoli, brussels sprouts and cauliflower.
This version isn't, but if you use a vegan butter alternative, this can be a delicious vegan side dish.
Yes, cabbage is a great source of fibre and vitamin C, as well as antioxidants that can help reduce inflammation.
• Make sure to finely shred the cabbage so that it cooks quickly and gets nice and soft.
• The key to perfectly cooked cabbage is cooking it low and slow.
• For extra flavour you could add some grated Parmesan before serving.
• You could also drizzle it with a tahini dressing when serving it up for more flavour.
• Any easy way of adding a lot of extra flavour is by sprinkling some everything bagel seasoning on top before serving.
More vegetarian side dish recipes
If you’ve tried this sautéed cabbage recipe, let us know how you got on in the comments below.
Tag us in your creations on Instagram @hungryhealthyhappy - Use the hashtag #hungryhealthyhappy too.
Easy Sautéed Cabbage
- 1 Savoy cabbage
- 30 g (1 oz) Butter
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 2 Garlic clove - crushed
- 2 tablespoon Apple cider vinegar
- 1 pinch Sea salt and black pepper
- Finely shred 1 Savoy cabbage.
- Heat 1 tablespoon Olive oil and 30 g Butter over a low heat.
- Add the cabbage.
- Cook over a low heat for 12-15 minutes, until the cabbage softens and starts to brown.
- Add 2 Garlic clove, 2 tablespoon Apple cider vinegar and 1 pinch Sea salt and black pepper. Mix well and continue to cook for further 1 minute.
- Make sure to finely shred the cabbage so that it cooks quickly and gets nice and soft.
- The key to perfectly cooked cabbage is cooking it low and slow.
- For extra flavour you could add some grated Parmesan before serving.
- You could also drizzle it with a tahini dressing when serving it up for more flavour.
- Any easy way of adding a lot of extra flavour is by sprinkling some Everything Bagel Seasoning on top before serving.
I made this cabbage with dinner last night and it was fantastic! So flavorful and the perfect side for our meal.
I love how easy this is!! My family loved it!
I love this! Such a healthy and easy to make side dish!
Such a simple and delicious recipe! My family just loves this cabbage. Thanks for the great recipe!
Such a simple, tasty way to make the most of cabbage!