Cabbage pasta is a 15 minute pasta dish that is seriously budget friendly. Just a few simple ingredients and you have yourself a really comforting bowl of pasta that is easy to adapt too. The perfect week night meal.
This cabbage pasta recipe was a staple in my student days. It was filling, comforting, super cheap to make and it was probably the most vegetables I would eat in a week! If you have a lot of mouths to feed on a budget, this pasta with cabbage needs to be on your meal plan.
If you are looking for more cabbage recipes, then why not try our tasty Cabbage with Cumin, easy Sautéed Cabbage, our simple Slow Cooker Red Cabbage or, for something different, our Cavolo Nero Pasta?
Ingredients and substitutions
- Pasta - Any pasta works here, which is why it makes it even more budget friendly. No need to buy a special pasta, just use what you have. Pasta shapes or spaghetti are fine.
- Cabbage - We used savoy cabbage for this, and it's one of our favourite green cabbage recipes. You could use a sweetheart cabbage or red cabbage for a different colour.
- Onion - You can swap it for shallots which will give a sweeter flavour.
- Garlic - Make sure it is finely crushed so it is evenly distributed in the pasta.
- Lemon - Juice and zest adds a lovely fresh flavour to this.
- Oil - Good quality extra virgin olive oil.
- Creme fraiche - Use reduced fat to make this lighter. You could use cream cheese if you prefer, but it would need loosening up with some milk.
- Parmesan - Grate this yourself rather than using pre-grated, as it won't melt very well.
A full ingredients list with measurements is in the recipe card below.
How to make cabbage pasta - Step by step
One: Cook the pasta according to the packet instructions, around 12 minutes.
Two: Heat the oil and add the onion. Cook over a low heat for 4 minutes.
Three: Add the garlic and cabbage. Continue to cook for 4 minutes.
Four: Add the creme fraiche, lemon juice and zest, Parmesan, salt and pepper. Mix well and continue cooking for 2 minutes.
Five: Drain the pasta, reserving 50ml/0.25cups of pasta water. Add the pasta and pasta water to the pan. Mix it all together.
Six: Serve topped with more pepper and Parmesan shavings.
This is a hearty and filling meal on its own, however if you wanted some sides or even some added protein then we have some great suggestions for you.
If you want to make this more filling, then some bread on the side is a good option. Garlic bread and pasta is the perfect match and either our Air Fryer Garlic Bread or Cheesy Garlic Bread go really well with this.
One of our favourite ways to change this recipe up is by adding bacon. Bacon makes everything better, right? A little bit goes a long way, as it has such a strong flavour, so it's also good for keeping it on a budget.
The creme fraiche is the sauce here, however if you wanted a tomato based sauce, then why not try our Easy Tomato Pasta Sauce recipe?
For a bit of crunch when serving this cabbage pasta, make up a mixture of breadcrumbs, lemon zest, olive oil and fresh herbs and sprinkle it on top. It really gives something extra to the recipe.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, whilst cabbage is the star of the dish, there are lots of other vegetables you can add. Why not try adding some leeks at the same time as the cabbage or stirring in some spinach just before serving?
Because it's an easy way to make the sauce really silky smooth, with no extra effort.
If you have any leftovers, then they can be stored in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 2 days. You can reheat it in a pan with a little oil. We don't recommend freezing this.
More vegetarian pasta recipes
- 140 g (5 oz) Pasta shapes
- 1 Onion - medium; diced
- 2 Garlic cloves - crushed
- 0.5 Lemon - juice and zest only
- 1 teaspoon Olive oil
- 170 g (2.5 cups) Savoy cabbage - shredded
- 120 g (0.5 cups) Reduced fat creme fraiche
- 40 g (0.33 cups) Parmesan - grated
- 1 pinch Sea salt
- 1 pinch Black pepper
- Cook 140 g Pasta shapes according to the packet instructions, around 12 minutes.
- Heat 1 teaspoon Olive oil and add 1 Onion. Cook over a low heat for 4 minutes.
- Add 2 Garlic cloves and 170 g Savoy cabbage. Continue to cook for 4 minutes.
- Add 120 g Reduced fat creme fraiche, juice and zest of 0.5 Lemon, 40 g Parmesan, 1 pinch Sea salt and 1 pinch Black pepper. Mix well and continue cooking for 2 minutes.
- Drain the pasta, reserving 50ml/0.25cups of pasta water. Add the pasta and pasta water to the pan. Mix it all together.
- Serve topped with more pepper and Parmesan shavings.
- Depending on how you like your cabbage cooked, this may take a little longer to cook. We still like a little bit of bite to it, but if you want it really soft, then cook it for a bit longer.
- A splash of white wine added before the creme fraiche adds a lovely richness to this.
- Add a little bit of Dijon or wholegrain mustard for a flavour boost.
- If you like spicy food, then add a sprinkle of red chilli flakes before serving.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and is calculated using online tools. Information can vary depending on various factors, but we have endeavoured to be as accurate as possible.