The best side dishes are the simplest ones and this sautéed cabbage with cumin is simple, just delicious and full of flavour. White cabbage softened in butter infused with cumin seeds and garlic and generously seasoned. Easy to make, ready in under 15 minutes and so versatile.
We LOVE cabbage and think that it is totally underrated. Not only is it nutritious, but there is so much that you can do with it too. When I was in Morocco, our hotel often served this incredible cabbage dish that was full of cumin, and this is my take on it.
Perfect with a roast dinner, this cabbage with cumin is a great way to use up a lot of cabbage and bulk out a meal with a big vegetable side dish.
Why you will love it
- A new way to use cabbage - If you are not sure what to do with cabbage, or if you are just getting a bit bored of having it the same way all the time, this is a great recipe to make cabbage more exciting.
- Delicious cumin flavour - This cabbage recipe is for cumin lovers. It's a very distinct flavour and one used the world over and we love it! You can use a little less if you don't love it, or even use more if you really love it.
- Versatile - There are so many different ways you can serve this recipe. It goes great with a roast dinner or even with some grilled chicken or fish.
- Can be made in advance - You can make this in advance and then serve it when you make the main part of the meal fresh.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Cabbage - We used a white cabbage for this, however there is no reason that you couldn't use a savoy cabbage or even a red cabbage.
- Garlic - This is used to flavour the oil and butter. Make sure to cook it slowly so it doesn't burn.
- Oil - Use a good quality extra virgin olive oil.
- Butter - We used unsalted butter. If you use salted, then use less salt to season the dish.
- Salt and pepper - Generously season.
- Cumin - The star of the dish. We used cumin seeds so they cook in the oil and butter and it releases all the flavour ready for the cabbage to be cooked in it.
A full ingredients list with measurements is in the recipe card below.
How to make cabbage with cumin - Step by step
One: Finely slice the cabbage.
Two: Heat the oil and butter in a large pan.
Three: Add the sliced garlic and cumin seeds to the pan.
Four: Cook on a low heat for 2 minutes.
Five: Once the cumin seeds start to pop, add the cabbage, salt and pepper.
Six: Continue to heat on low until the cabbage has softened, about 8-10 minutes.
What to serve with Cabbage with Cumin
We love cabbage as a side dish with a roast dinner, so it will go with any roast meat like our Slow Cooker Roast Beef or Best Roast Chicken. As well as some Air Fryer Roasted Potatoes or Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes.
Store: This will keep in the fridge for 3-4 days, but your fridge might start to smell after a day or so. We tend to only make what we know we are going to eat straight away.
Freeze: We wouldn't recommend freezing this cabbage recipe.
Reheat: You can reheat it in a pan with butter for 2-3 minutes.
Frequently Asked Questions
You slice it in half all the way through and then lay on the cut side down and then thinly shred it.
Cabbage can give you excess gas, like other vegetables such as asparagus, broccoli, brussels sprouts and cauliflower.
This version isn't, but if you use a vegan butter alternative, this can be a delicious vegan side dish.
• Finely shred the cabbage so that it cooks quickly and gets nice and soft.
• Cook the garlic and cumin on low so that it doesn't burn.
• The key to getting perfectly cooked cabbage is cooking it low and slow.
• For extra flavour, you could add some grated Parmesan before serving.
More side dish recipes
Cabbage with Cumin
- 600 g white cabbage - shredded
- 2 tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 0.5 teaspoon Sea salt
- 2 Garlic clove - thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 pinch black pepper
- Finely slice the cabbage.600 g white cabbage
- Heat the oil and butter in a large pan.2 tablespoon Olive oil, 1 tablespoon Butter
- Add the sliced garlic and cumin seeds to the pan.1 teaspoon cumin seeds, 2 Garlic clove
- Cook on a low heat for 2 minutes.
- Once the cumin seeds start to pop, add the cabbage, salt and pepper.600 g white cabbage, 0.5 teaspoon Sea salt, 1 pinch black pepper
- Continue to heat on low until the cabbage has softened, about 8-10 minutes.
- Finely shred the cabbage so that it cooks quickly and gets nice and soft.
- Cook the garlic and cumin on low so that it doesn't burn.
- The key to getting perfectly cooked cabbage is cooking it low and slow.
- For extra flavour, you could add some grated Parmesan before serving.