Hasselback Potatoes are SO easy to make in the air fryer, and much quicker too. Perfectly crispy little potatoes and they look really impressive too. Air Fryer Hasselback Potatoes are a simple and delicious side dish that go with so many meals.
These are just perfectly crispy little potatoes. Little slices are cut through them, to make them deliciously crispy on the outside and light and fluffy on the inside in just 20 minutes. If you love potatoes, you are going to LOVE these.
If you are looking for some other ways to use your air fryer, then why not try our Air Fryer Parsnips, Air Fryer Jacket Potatoes, Air Fryer Steak or Air Fryer Bacon?
Why you will love them
- A great way to cook potatoes - If you are getting bored of cooking potatoes the same way, then mix it up and give these hasselback potatoes a try.
- A new way to use the air fryer - If you have only used your air fryer to make chips, then you are seriously missing out. This is one of our favourite ways to use it.
- Adaptable - We have kept the seasonings simple with just some garlic powder, but there are lots of different options.
- Versatile - There are so many ways you can serve these air fryer hasselback potatoes, or you could just snack on them straight out of the basket.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Baby potatoes - We used baby (new) potatoes for this, as we find that the smaller ones get even crispier. You could use larger potatoes for this, but cooking times will vary.
- Oil - A good quality olive oil.
- Garlic - Garlic powder is our seasoning of choice, but you could use something like paprika or cumin too.
- Salt and pepper - Generously season.
A full ingredients list with measurements is in the recipe card below.
How to make air fryer hasselback potatoes - Step by step
One: Using a thin, sharp knife (or a hasselback cutter), make slices three quarters of the way through each potato. Try to get them as close together as possible (about 2-3mm) and make sure you don't cut all the way through.
Two: Mix together the oil, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
Three: Brush the potatoes all over with the oil mixture.
Four: Place the potatoes into the air fryer.
Five: Cook at 180°C for 20 minutes, turning halfway through.
Health benefits of potatoes
White potatoes have so many nutrients in them, they really shouldn't get a bad reputation. They are low in fat, sodium and cholesterol, they have nearly half of your daily vitamin C and they are a great source of potassium - even more than a banana.
They are full of fibre and magnesium, and they are filling too. On top of this, they are also suitable for almost any diet, from vegan to gluten free. I am not sure what more you could want?
How to cut hasselback potatoes
This recipe might take a little bit of practise, but don't let that put you off. Even if you don't cut them perfectly the first time (or second or third), they will still be delicious, just maybe not as crispy.
The key to the perfect hasselback potatoes is using a very sharp knife, and cutting them very fine. It is a preference thing, however the thiner the slices are, the crispier the edges are.
You want to slice in to the potato, from one side to the other, but not all the way through. Cut about three-quarters of the way through and stop just before you would slice through. To help with this, you can put the potato on a slotted spoon or a wooden spoon, so the knife would hit the spoon and stop it going all the way through.
You could also put a skewer all the way through the potato, toward the bottom, and the knife would hit that instead of cutting all the way through the potato.
We kept this simple with just some garlic powder, however we have a few other suggestions on how to flavour it.
If you want a cheesy version of it, then sprinkle some grated parmesan cheese on when you flip them over.
Dried herbs like basil, oregano and parsley would well to give it a boost of herby flavour. You can also use your favourite seasoning blend, like Mexican seasoning or Cajun seasoning.
What to serve with air fryer hassleback potatoes
Crispy potatoes are a must with any roast dinner, and these make a nice change from the usual Roast Potatoes. If you are looking for some sides and mains that will compliment these air fryer hasselback potatoes perfectly, then here are our favourites:
Frequently Asked Questions
Hasselback Potatoes are a type of baked potato that was first created in a little restaurant in Sweden called Hasselbacken. Since then, they have become popular all over the world with various toppings and add-ins.
We can't rate highly enough the Power Air Fryer XL. The 5 litre capacity is big enough for cooking for the whole family and it can fry, grill, bake, sauté, roast and steam. There are simple touch screen controls and it heats up quickly and can cook your food up to 70% faster than a conventional oven. Also, it's dishwasher safe.
Leftover hasselback potatoes can be kept in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. To reheat them, just put them in a pan with a little oil and heat through, or you can heat them up in the air fryer for 4-5 minutes.
• There is no need to spray the basket with oil first, as these potatoes won't stick to the basket because they are coated in oil.
• You can cut the slices as thick or as thin as you like, but if they are thick they won't get very crispy.
• Cooking times will vary, so you might need an extra couple of minutes to get these air fryer hasselback potatoes crispy.
• Whether you peel the potatoes or not is a total preference thing. We like how crispy the skin gets, and there is also lots of nutrition in it.
• Make sure you don't overcrowd the air fryer basket, otherwise your potatoes won't get crispy.
More potato recipes
If you’ve tried this air fryer potato recipe, let us know how you got on in the comments below.
Tag us in your creations on Instagram @hungryhealthyhappy - Use the hashtag #hungryhealthyhappy too.
Air Fryer Hasselback Potatoes
- 400 g (14 oz) Baby potatoes
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 0.5 teaspoon Garlic powder
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Using a thin, sharp knife, make slices three quarters of the way through each potato. Try to get them as close together as possible (about 2-3mm) and make sure you don't cut all the way through.
- Mix together the oil, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Brush the potatoes all over with the oil mixture.
- Place the potatoes into the air fryer.
- Cook at 180°C for 20 minutes, turning halfway through.
- There is no need to spray the basket with oil first, as these potatoes won't stick to the basket because they are coated in oil.
- You can cut the slices as thick or as thin as you like, but if they are thick they won't get very crispy.
- Cooking times will vary, so you might need an extra couple of minutes to get these air fryer hasselback potatoes crispy.
- Whether you peel the potatoes or not is a total preference thing. We like how crispy the skin gets, and there is also lots of nutrition in it.
- Make sure you don't overcrowd the air fryer basket, otherwise your potatoes won't get crispy.
To ensure you dont cut the potatoes right through, put them on a wooden spoon to slice. Perfect.
There is a whole section in the post about how to cut hassleback potatoes that mentions that too. But thanks for sharing!
Perfect for holiday dinner, loved how easy it is to make and that too in air fryer.
I make hasselback potatoes often in my air fryer. They are so delicious and good.
To ensure you dont cut through the whole potatoe put them on a wooden spoon when you cut them. Perfect.
Once again, another recipe I've never thought to try in the air fryer! Now I can't wait to try these. Your recipe is so easy and comprehensive.
These are so GOOD in the airfryer. I love how each one is like a little bunch of potato chips. So yummy.
These hasselback potatoes were delicious! So good to know how to make them in the air fryer.
Just made these potatoes for dinner tonight and they turned out great! The flavor is amazing and they look fantastic.
I never thought of making hasselback potatoes in the air fryer. This is a really smart idea and these turned out so tender and tasty.
I cook all my potatoes in the air fryer now. So crispy and delicious. These hasselback potatoes are next to try!
I love the way the oil and spices seep into all the cracks. It makes every single bite so delicious!