This is such an easy recipe, and perfect for throwing together when you have unexpected guests. The whole family will love this 2 Minute Nacho Cheese Sauce that is made with cheese slices. Smother over tortilla chips for a super comforting snack. This is so simple, even the most novice cooks can master this!
This is a super budget friendly recipe, that uses just 3 ingredients - and one of those is optional. A rich, smooth and indulgent cheese sauce can be made with just cheese slices and milk and then a little chilli sauce for flavour.
All made in the microwave, this takes just 2 minutes to make. You don't even have to use it for nachos, as it is a great dip for vegetables or you can even used it for a quick and easy mac and cheese recipe.
If you are looking for some other cheesy recipes to try, then why not try our Air Fryer Baked Camembert, Cheese and Onion Rolls, Epic Cheese Sandwich, Cheese Straws, 10 Minute Cream Cheese Pasta or Chorizo Mac and Cheese.
Why you will love it
- Quick - This is ready in just 2 minutes and all done in the microwave.
- Comfort food - A smooth cheese sauce smothered over tortilla chips is total comfort food.
- Serves a crowd - You can easily double or triple this recipe if you are serving a crowd.
- Adaptable - Feel free to adapt it to make it as spicy or as mild as you like.
- Cheap - Using cheese slices makes this a budget friendly recipe.
- Cheese singles - I will say that this is by far from the healthiest recipe in the world! This recipe uses processed cheese singles, as that gives the smoothest nacho cheese sauce. We wanted the kind that you get in the cinema and this recipe is exactly that. You can use slices of cheddar, but you won't get the same results.
- Milk - This helps to thin the nacho cheese sauce out a little and make it nice and smooth and creamy.
- Chilli sauce - This is optional, but we love the flavour it adds. We used Sriracha, but you can use your favourite chilli sauce.
A full ingredients list with measurements is in the recipe card below.
How to make nacho cheese sauce - Step by step
One: Shred the cheese and put into a microwave safe bowl.
Two: Add the sriracha.
Three: Add the milk.
Four: Microwave for one minute. Stir and then microwave for a further 30 seconds, until melted.
What to put nacho cheese sauce on
We love eating this as a snack or a starter, however, it also goes well as part of a bigger Mexican feast. Here are some of our favourite Mexican recipes that this goes perfectly with:
- Chicken Burrito Bowl
- Vegetable Fajitas
- Slow Cooker Beef Barbacoa
- Chipotle Black Bean Stew
- Sweet Potato and Black Bean Tacos
- Chicken Quesadillas
- Bean and Vegetable Enchiladas
- Easy Chilli Con Carne
Another way we love to serve this is on burgers. Make an epic beef burger, load it with chilli and then pour some of this nacho cheese sauce on it. Totally indulgent, but amazing. Try it on our Mexican Burger. It's also pretty good drizzled over fries.
This nacho cheese sauce does not store well, so it is best eaten fresh and try to only make as much as you will be eating. However, if you want to keep this warm whilst your guests are eating it, then you can put it into a fondue pot or slow cooker to keep it warm and melted.
You can reheat it in the microwave a couple of times to get it back to a melty consistency too.
Frequently Asked Questions
We used processed American cheese singles. We wanted to make this a budget friendly and easy recipe. Cheese singles are cheap to buy, and they last a long time in the fridge. You can use freshly grated cheddar instead if you prefer.
Yes, as long as you make sure there is no cross contamination, this sauce is gluten free.
No, we wouldn't recommend freezing this sauce. It is best eaten right away.
More sauce recipes
If you’ve tried this cheese sauce for nachos, then let us know how you got on in the comments below.
Tag us in your creations on Instagram @hungryhealthyhappy - You can use the hashtag #hungryhealthyhappy too.
2 Minute Nacho Cheese Sauce
- 10 Cheese slices
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha sauce
- 2 tablespoon Whole milk
- Shred 10 Cheese slices and put into a microwave safe bowl.
- Add 2 tablespoon Whole milk and 1 tablespoon Sriracha sauce.
- Microwave for one minute. Stir and then microwave for a further 30 seconds, until melted.
- If you want some extra spicy flavour, add some chopped pickled jalapenoes.
- A dash of paprika adds a nice smokiness to the sauce, or why not try adding a spoonful of our Fajita Seasoning?
- You can add in a couple of tablespoons of salsa for some added flavour too.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and is calculated using online tools. Information can vary depending on various factors, but we have endeavoured to be as accurate as possible.