This Fajita Seasoning is a quick and easy way to give your meals some Mexican flavour. Never buy a packet of fajita seasoning again, as this is so easy to make by just mixing together 7 herbs and spices you probably already have in your kitchen. No additives like store bought seasoning, but still all the flavour.
This Fajita Seasoning takes just a couple of minutes to make and you can make up a big batch of it to keep ready to make delicious Mexican meals without having to buy ready made seasoning. It's much healthier too, as it doesn't have added salt and sugar and no preservatives.
We also have a delicious French Fry Seasoning that you might like to try.
- Garlic powder
- Onion granules
- Paprika - Both sweet and smoked paprika work for this recipe.
- Cayenne - Feel free to adjust the amount of this depending on how spicy you like it.
- Oregano - Try to find Mexican oregano if you can.
- Chilli flakes - If you like a real kick of heat to your food, then add extra of this. You can also leave it out if you don't want it spicy.
A full ingredients list with measurements is in the recipe card below.
How to make fajita seasoning - Step by step
One: Add all the ingredients to a bowl.
Two: Mix well so that everything is combined.
Why should you try it?
- Quick and easy - This takes just a couple of minutes to put together and it's as simple as mixing everything together.
- Cheap - Considering what store bought seasoning mixes have in them, they are quite expensive to buy. Making them yourself is much cheaper.
- Adaptable - The great thing about making your own seasoning mixes is that you can control exactly what goes in to it. You can control how spicy or mild it is.
- Stores well - This will keep for up to 6 months if it is stored properly, so make a big batch and keep it to add lots of flavour to meals.
What is fajita seasoning?
This is the seasoning that will take your fajitas to the next level. A blend on garlic, onion, paprika, cayenne, cumin, oregano and chilli will give an authentic Mexican flavour that brings all the ingredients to life. It's colourful and vibrant and it's so easy to put together.
This homemade Mexican seasoning can go on almost anything and it certainly isn't just reserved for fajitas - we love it on a salad too.
Recipe tips and variations
• Make sure that all the spices you use are fresh and no old and out of date. If they are old, then they won't have much flavour and you won't get the best results.
• For a real rich flavour, you can add half a teaspoon of cocoa powder.
For a different chilli flavour, add some chipotle powder instead of cayenne.
• You can easily double or triple this recipe.
You can swap dried oregano for dried parsley.
What to use this seasoning with
This is SO versatile and there is so many different ways that you can use use it. Here are some of our favourite recipes that use Mexican/Fajita seasoning:
- Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas
- Chicken Burrito Bowl
- Fajita Burger
- Oven Baked Chicken Fajitas
- Grilled Chicken Tacos
- Halloumi Fajitas
- Mexican Beef and Potato Bake
Fajita seasoning will last up to 6 months stored in a cool dry place in an air tight container. We like to make a big batch of this and keep it with the rest of our herbs and spices for quick and easy Mexican meals.
Frequently Asked Questions
The two seasonings are very similar in ingredients and can be used interchangeably. However, taco seasoning tends to have more chilli and paprika in it.
Yes, as long as you make sure there is no cross contamination, then this is gluten free.
Yes, this is vegan.
This won't taste exactly the same, because we left out the sugar and used a small amount of salt. If you wanted to add a pinch of each, then it would be closer to the flavour of a store bought fajita seasoning.
No, you don't need to. Some seasonings contain it to balance out the acidity, but as you are making it from scratch there isn't a need for that.
Yes, you can double or triple it and then store it for future meals.
More Mexican recipes
If you’ve tried this homemade fajita seasoning recipe, then let us know how you got on in the comments below.
Tag us in your creations on Instagram @hungryhealthyhappy - Use the hashtag #hungryhealthyhappy too.
- 0.5 tablespoon garlic powder
- 0.5 tablespoon onion granules
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 0.5 tablespoon cayenne
- 0.5 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 0.5 tablespoon chilli flakes
- Add all the ingredients to a bowl.
- Mix well so that everything is combined.
- Make sure that all the spices you use are fresh and no old and out of date. If they are old, then they won't have much flavour and you won't get the best results.
- For a real rich flavour, you can add half a teaspoon of cocoa powder.
- For a different chilli flavour, add some chipotle powder instead of cayenne.
- You can easily double or triple this recipe.
- You can swap dried oregano for dried parsley.