Ever wondered how to season burgers? This is the BEST burger seasoning and it is going to take your homemade burgers to the next level. A blend of paprika, garlic and onion with a little kick of heat, this burger seasoning adds lots of flavour to your burgers whilst still keeping them moist and juicy.
Just a few simple ingredients, that you probably already have in your spice rack, and you have the most incredible seasoning for burgers. Make up a big batch and then you can use it any time. A must make at the beginning of summer for BBQ season to upgrade your burgers.
A little bit sweet, a little bit smoky and a little bit of spice, this is the perfect blend of spices for seasoning a burger. You will never buy store bought seasoning again.
Looking for some other homemade seasoning blends? Why not try our Peri Peri Seasoning, Fajita Seasoning or French Fry Seasoning?
Why you will love it
- Burger enhancer - This burger seasoning will take homemade burgers to the next level. A must for BBQ season. How to season a burger can cause great debate amongst burger connoisseurs. Some say just salt and pepper, but we think this blend is the way forward.
- Adaptable - The great thing about putting together burger spices yourself is that you can control the ratios. Adding more or less spice if you want.
- Quick and easy - It's as simple as mixing everything together and storing in a jar.
- Versatile - You don't just have to use this seasoning blend for burgers, as it's great on homemade chips or chicken breast too.
- Stores well - You can make a big batch of this and as long as it is stored well in an air tight container, then it will keep well to add as and when you make burgers.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Paprika - We used smoked paprika because it adds a lovely smokiness to the burgers. Make sure it hasn't been opened for more than 6 months, as it will lose a lot of flavour.
- Salt and pepper - Generously season.
- Garlic and onion powder - These give real flavour boosts to the seasoning.
- Sugar - We used a little brown to add a touch of sweetness to the burger seasoning. It helps to balance out the smoky and spicy and using brown sugar adds a caramel flavour.
- Cayenne pepper - We love a kick of heat in our seasoning. Feel free to adapt it depending on how spicy or mild you like it.
A full ingredients list with measurements is in the recipe card below.
How to make burger seasoning - Step by step
One: Add all the ingredients to a small bowl.
Two: Mix well and transfer to an air-tight jar.
Everyone has their favourite burger recipe, but for us it is Air Fryer Burgers. A healthier way to cook them and they are perfect every time. This seasoning works perfectly in our burger recipe, but feel free to add it to your own. You could add it to our Hidden Vegetable Beef Burgers too.
Although these spices go really well with beef burgers, you can definitely use this burger seasoning recipe in veggie burgers too. It's an easy way to add a lot of flavour to bean burgers. You can season halloumi with it for halloumi burgers too.
Not just for burgers, this seasoning works well on Air Fryer Chicken Breasts and Air Fryer Steak too, as well as coating Air Fryer Jacket Potatoes.
When to add burger seasoning
Some people like to coat each side of the burger with seasoning, but we like to add the burger seasoning into the mixture of ground beef, so you can taste all the spices in every bite. However, over working the burgers can make them really tough. Handling them gently is key.
Try to add the seasoning just before you are cooking the burgers, because the salt draws out the moisture and can make the burgers dry if you make them too far in advance. If you want to make them ahead of time, then leave the seasoning out and then coat the burgers with it just before cooking.
The great thing about a homemade burger seasoning is that it is easy to adapt. Store-bought seasoning is full of salt and sugar, as well as being really expensive for what it is. Although salt and sugar are two of the ingredients in this recipe, you get to control exactly how much goes in.
We added a little pinch of cayenne pepper for a kick of spice. However, if you don't like any spice then you can leave it out. Equally, you can add more if you love spicy food.
Add a little freshness with some dried parsley or oregano to the mix.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can double, triple or multiply this recipe as many times as you like. Just make sure you have an air tight jar big enough to store it.
We recommend using about 0.5 tablespoon per burger.
This will keep in an air tight container in a dry and cool place for about a year.
• The best time to season a burger is right before you are about to cook them. Seasoning them well in advance will cause them to be dry and tough, as the salt draws out the moisture.
More burger recipes
If you’ve tried this homemade burger seasoning, let us know how you got on in the comments below.
Tag us in your creations on Instagram @hungryhealthyhappy - Use the hashtag #hungryhealthyhappy too.
- 1 teaspoon Smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoon Sea salt
- 1 teaspoon Black pepper
- 2 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Onion granules
- 0.5 teaspoon Brown sugar
- 0.5 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- Add all the ingredients to a small bowl.
- Mix well and transfer to an air-tight jar.
- The best time to season a burger is right before you are about to cook them. Seasoning them well in advance will cause them to be dry and tough, as the salt draws out the moisture.
I am looking forward to making some delicious, juicy burgers with this seasoning blend.
Most of these were expected, but I didn't think I'd find brown sugar in here. That's an interesting twist. It sounds like a great combo!
Tried this in our burgers last night and they were incredible! Very flavorful!
Outstanding recipe thanks so much! tasted so much good!
This burger seasoning is a 5 star recipe for sure! I will never go without an unseasoned burger again with this amazing seasoning!
I agree 100% with mixing the seasoning throughout the burger. That way you know that it's in every bite! So yummy!
Possibly the best burger seasoning I've ever tried. The brown sugar made all the difference!
We made burgers last night and I seasoned them with this and OMG! So delicious- I'll never season burgers any other way!
Oooh, definitely the perfect burger enhancer! The combination of flavors sound fantastic and so easy too. I bet my family will love it.
This sounds like a great burger seasoning to have on hand! Just in time for grilling season. Bet it's awesome on any grilled meat!