Take fries to the next level with our Homemade French Fry Seasoning. Season freshly made fries or frozen fries with our easy homemade herb and spice blend that packs some serious flavour. Made with ingredients you probably already have in your spice cupboard, this seasoning is a little salty, a little spicy and seriously herby and makes the best crispy and golden fries.
Once you have tried this French Fry Seasoning, you will never have fries plain again. Just like fries you get a burger restaurant, but because you are making them yourself you can control the balance of flavours. This all-purpose seasoning isn't just for fries though, as it is a delicious way to liven up vegetables, salad dressings or grilled chicken/salmon.
If you're looking for more seasonings, try our Nando's Peri Peri Seasoning, Burger Seasoning or Fajita Seasoning.
Why you will love it
- The best fries you will ever have
- Can store the seasoning for up to 3 years
- Easy to adapt and change the flavours
- Can be used on homemade fries or frozen fries.
- Ready in less than 5 minutes.
How to make French fry seasoning
Put all of the ingredients into a jar and mix well.
To use with frozen fries, put the fries in a large bowl, drizzle with oil and sprinkle with seasoning. Use your hands to mix well. Spread the fries over a baking tray and put in a preheated oven at 200°C/180°C(fan)/400°F/Gas 6 and cook for 20-25 minutes until crispy and golden.
What's in French fry seasoning?
This easy French fry seasoning really has it all. It has a base of salt and pepper, without being too salty. If you like really salty fries, then you can always add more, but we try to keep the amount of salt we consume to a minimum.
We then go heavy on the garlic and paprika, and we used smoky paprika as we love the smokiness of this seasoning. There is then plenty of dried herbs which not only add lots of colour to the fries, but also so much of the flavour.
If you want some heat to these fries, then add a little extra cayenne than we have used.
What fries to use
We always recommend going the homemade route, so why not try using this seasoning on our Easy Skin on Fries, Baked Potato Wedges or Air Fryer Fries?
But, if you are looking to save yourself some time, then why not use them on some frozen fries. This seasoning is a great way to take frozen fries to the next level. Make sure you use the best quality fries you can find and that they are seasoning free.
What to serve them with
What are fries without a dip? Whilst there is plenty of flavour on these fries already from the seasoning, we have plenty of options for you when it comes to dip. Why not try one of these:
This recipe makes 3 tablespoon worth of seasoning, which is the perfect amount for fries for 4 people. However you can easily double or triple the recipe. After the fries are finished cooking, we taste them and then add a sprinkling more if needed.
If you are using frozen fries, then drizzle them in a little oil in a bowl and sprinkle with the seasoning. Use your hands and mix well. Spread them on to a baking sheet and then cook in a preheated oven at 200C for 20-25 minutes until crispy.
The great thing about this seasoning is that you can make a huge batch of it and keep it to use over and over again.
To store the seasoning, put it in an air tight container and store away from sunlight in a dark, dry space. It will keep for up to 3 years, but for the best flavour it is best consumed within 6 months. We usually make enough for 3 months, as we find that is when the flavour is best.
Well, apart from the obvious (being French fries), there is a lot that you can do with this all-purpose seasoning. We love it mixed in to Homemade Beef Burgers, sprinkled on grilled salmon and chicken, mixed in to olive oil and balsamic vinegar for a simple but tasty salad dressing or even sprinkled on top of a homemade pizza.
Why not make some savoury popcorn with this seasoning too. It basically goes well on anything that can be barbecued.
• If you don't want a smoky flavour, then you can use regular paprika instead.
• Want a real kick of heat to this? Swap the cayenne for red chilli flakes.
• This recipe is really easy to adapt with your favourite herbs, or weighted more to less towards one flavour if you prefer. You can even leave the salt out if your prefer.
• If you are seasoning deep fried fries, then you don't need to season them first. Instead, when they are out of the oil, season them straight away whilst they are steaming hot. The instructions in this recipe are for baked frozen fries.
More side dish recipes
If you’ve tried this chip seasoning recipe, let us know how you got on in the comments below.
Tag us in your creations on Instagram @hungryhealthyhappy - Use the hashtag #hungryhealthyhappy too.
French Fry Seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Sea salt
- 0.5 teaspoon Black pepper
- 2 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 2 teaspoon Onion powder
- 1.5 teaspoon Smoked paprika
- 0.25 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon Dried parsley
- 0.5 teaspoon Dried thyme
- 0.5 teaspoon Dried oregano
- Put all of the ingredients into a jar and mix well.
- To use with frozen fries, put the fries in a large bowl, drizzle with oil and sprinkle with seasoning. Use your hands to mix well. Spread the fries over a baking tray and put in a preheated oven at 200°C/180°C(fan)/400°F/Gas 6 and cook for 20-25 minutes until crispy and golden.
- If you don't want a smoky flavour, then you can use regular paprika instead.
- Want a real kick of heat to this? Swap the cayenne for red chilli flakes.
- This recipe is really easy to adapt with your favourite herbs, or weighted more to less towards one flavour if you prefer. You can even leave the salt out if your prefer.
- If you are seasoning deep fried fries, then you don't need to season them first. Instead, when they are out of the oil, season them straight away whilst they are steaming hot. The instructions in this recipe are for baked frozen fries.
Such a tasty seasoning for french fries! Love that you can sprinkle it on store-bought frozen fries to make them taste that little bit better!
This fry seasoning was so yummy! Made our french fries that much better.
Thanks a lot for sharing your very helpful french fry seasoning! It's very tasty!
This is the perfect seasoning for when I make French fries! I've been making my own lately but just using salt - can't wait to try this!
Oh good idea! I usually stick to salt but this would be much tastier!