We have lightened this usually calorific dressing by using Greek yogurt, but it still packs plenty of flavour. It's so easy to make and stores in the fridge for a couple of days. Ranch dressing is one of those things that I could, and would, put on everything. It's creamy, it is full of flavour, what's not to love? Our Healthy Ranch Dressing has all the flavour you know and love, but a little bit lighter.
This creamy Greek yogurt based dressing feels far more indulgent than it actually is, and it is going to totally change your salads. It's so easy to make - just mix everything together in a bowl. It's far more than a dressing too, as it's amazing as a dip. Skip the bottles of dressing and make this healthy ranch dressing yourself with just a few ingredients.
Why you will love it
- Low in calories and fat - We have used fat free Greek yoghurt to keep this low in fat and it is just 22 calories a portion too.
- Easy - There is no cooking involved, you just have to mix everything together in a bowl.
- Quick - Less than 5 minutes is all you need to put this together.
- Greek yogurt - We used 0% to keep it very low fat, but you could use full fat if you wanted a creamier dressing.
- Dill - Fresh dill is always best, however you could use dried if that is all you have.
- Vinegar - We used apple cider vinegar.
- Milk - We used skimmed, but you could use semi-skimmed or whole if you prefer. You could also use buttermilk (and leave out the lemon) and it would make it feel a bit more indulgent.
- Lemon - We have used just the juice of half a lemon, but you could add some lemon zest if you want some extra lemon flavour.
- Dijon mustard - This adds a real boost of flavour and the Dijon adds some creaminess.
- Garlic - We think ranch should be pretty garlicy, so feel free to add more if you want.
- Sea salt and black pepper - Season to taste.
A full ingredients list with measurements is in the recipe card below.
How to make ranch dressing - Step by step
One: Put all of the ingredients into a bowl.
Two: Mix well.
We try to make our own dressings as often as we can (when time permits), because they really do only take a few minutes and they need minimal ingredients, compared to the long list of ingredients that you find in store bought dressings. Next time you are in a supermarket, look at the label of a salad dressing bottle. It's really long, and it really doesn't need to be. Just a few fresh ingredients and you have yourself a delicious and light salad dressing.
We have used Greek yogurt which makes this a protein packed dressing, and making it yourself means you can also control how much salt goes in to it. We always add salt, as it really does intensify all the other flavours, but you only need a little pinch.
How did we lighten up this ranch dressing? We used Greek yogurt of course. Ranch dressing is usually made with sour cream and mayo, which obviously tastes amazing, but can really make a salad high in calories.
If you really don't like the taste of Greek yogurt (bear in mind that this dressing tastes different from just plain Greek yogurt), then feel free to use a mixture of yogurt, mayo and sour cream, but remember it will change the nutritional value a lot.
Want a vegan version of this? Swap the Greek yogurt for a soya yogurt and use oat milk instead of skimmed. It won't quite have the same flavour, but it's a great vegan alternative.
What to serve with Healthy Ranch Dressing
We love this dressing on a simple green salad, but it can be used as a dressing on any of your favourite salad like our Roasted Butternut Squash Salad.
It's not just good on salads though. It works really well as a dip and we love dipping our Baked BBQ Chicken Wings in this dressing. You can also dip some cucumber and carrot sticks in to it for a healthy snack.
If you store this dressing in an air tight container, then it will keep fresh in the fridge for 2-3 days. However, it is best fresh and because it is so easy to make, we usually just make as much as we need for that day.
Frequently Asked Questions
As long as you make sure everything is labelled gluten free and there is no cross contamination then this can be gluten free.
This recipe isn't vegan because of the Greek yogurt and milk, however you can use plant based alternatives.
Yes, you can make this in advance and then store it in the fridge until you are ready to serve it.
Yes, you can and should make double of this, as you will want to put it on everything!
• If you find this dressing a little thick, you can thin it out with more milk.
• Store in an air tight jar and it will keep for about 4 days in the fridge.
• You can make this vegan by using soya yogurt and oat milk.
• Add a little onion flavour by mixing in some fresh chives.
• This dressing makes a great dip for chicken wings.
More sauce recipes
If you’ve tried this homemade ranch dressing recipe, then let us know how you got on in the comments below.
Tag us in your creations on Instagram @hungryhealthyhappy - Use the hashtag #hungryhealthyhappy too.
Healthy Ranch Dressing
- 8 tablespoon 0% Greek yogurt
- 10 g Fresh dill - chopped
- 1 tablespoon Apple cider vinegar
- 100 ml Skimmed milk
- 1 Lemon - (juice only)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 Garlic clove - crushed
- 1 pinch Sea salt and black pepper
- Put all of the ingredients in to a bowl.
- Mix well.
- Serve in a dressing bottle.
- Store in an air tight jar and it will keep for about 4 days in the fridge.
- You can make this vegan by using soya yogurt and oat milk.
- Add a little onion flavour by mixing in some fresh chives.
- This dressing makes a great dip for chicken wings.