Chicken wings are the ultimate game/match day food and we have given them a healthier twist by oven baking them and smothering them in homemade healthier BBQ sauce (SO easy to make). These BBQ Baked Chicken Wings are a must at the next party you plan, and don't forget the homemade ranch dressing on the side.
The flavour on these chicken wings is amazing. It's sweet and smokey and a lighter version of fried chicken wings that you would usually find at a bar. They are so simple to make, but a real crowd pleaser. You still get that crispy skin from roasting them, so you have all the flavour but lower in fat. Also they are a lot less messy to make than deep frying.
Why you will love them
- Baked not fried - We have lightened up a classic by baking it and you still get all the delicious flavour.
- Crispy - You don't have to fry them to get them nice and crispy. Baking them in the oven still gives the skin that delicious crunch that you know and love.
- 5 minute prep time - These are as simple as rubbing with spices, baking and then smothering with BBQ sauce.
- Perfect game day or party food - Invite everyone round for the game and serve these up. Everyone will love them!
- Chicken wings - You can buy the full wings like we have, or you can buy the ones labelled "party wings" which are separated into flats and drumettes.
- Spices - We used garlic powder, onion granules and paprika. Add a little chilli powder if you want a kick of heat.
- Baking powder - This helps to get the wings nice and crispy.
- Salt and pepper - Generously season.
- BBQ sauce - We used our homemade BBQ sauce
- Oil - This helps the spices stick to the wings and prevent them from burning.
A full ingredients list with measurements is in the recipe card below.
How to make baked chicken wings - Step by Step
One: Preheat your oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas 5. Put the chicken wings in a large bowl with the oil, seasonings and baking powder. Mix well so that the wings are coated.
Two: Put on a lined baking sheet. Put in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
Three: Put the cooked wings into a new bowl and add the BBQ sauce. Toss until they are covered in sauce.
Four: Put them back in the oven and cook for a further 20 minutes until crispy.
Healthy chicken wings
You know that you can get all that delicious crispiness from chicken wings without having to fry them. These baked chicken wings have a nice crunch to them after cooking for 40 minutes and they won't last long around party guests.
We haven't dipped ours in flour either, so we have saved some calories there, as they really didn't need it. The garlic and herb seasoning that goes on before the BBQ sauce gives it a bit more crispiness.
But, what we have done to give it even more crispiness is using some baking powder. Seriously - it works, as it dries out the skin of the chicken when combined with the salt.
Homemade BBQ sauce
To be honest, these baked chicken wings are all about the BBQ sauce. We made our own healthier bbq sauce that has a lovely sweet and smokey flavour, but without all the crazy ingredients you will find in a store bought sauce.
Not a fan of BBQ sauce or want something with a bit of a kick to it? Try tossing these wings in a buffalo sauce instead - that will go really well with a ranch dressing for the dip.
Talking about ranch dip - we make that too. We make ours with Greek yogurt so that it is lower in a calories and fat. Take a look at our Healthy Ranch Dressing Recipe.
We usually just serve these as they are, however if you wanted to serve them as a meal then we have some delicious side dishes that would go perfectly with these:
- Roasted New Potatoes
- Oven Cooked Rice
- Paprika Chips
- Cheesy Cauliflower Nuggets
- Easy Skin on Fries
- Air Fryer Potato Wedges
- Grilled Corn with Herb Butter
- Broccoli Slaw
Store: Leftovers will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Freeze: You can freeze these by placing them in a freezer bag and they will store for up to 2 months.
Defrost: Defrost them in the fridge overnight.
Reheat: Reheat them gently in the oven on low.
Frequently asked question
They take around 40 minutes in the oven. First they need 20 minutes with just the spice rub on them, and then smother them in BBQ sauce and put them back in the oven for 20 minutes.
We always like to use a food thermometer to check (make sure it is not touching a bone). The cooked temperature of chicken is 75°C/165°F. However, if you don't have a food thermometer, then it is best to use your judgement and stick a knife in it. It shouldn't be pink inside.
You can put them on a rack in the oven and this will help them to get extra crispy because it allows the air to fully circulate and any releasing liquid will drip down so that the wings roast rather than steam. Make sure you dry the wings before coating them too.
• Not a huge fan of BBQ sauce or want something spicier? Use buffalo sauce instead.
• Make some homemade ranch dressing to dip these in.
• Using baking powder dried the skin of the chicken out, making them extra crispy.
• If you want to make them extra crispy, then add a little flour to the rub mixture.
More chicken recipes
Baked BBQ Chicken Wings
- 15 Chicken wings
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Onion granules
- 0.5 teaspoon paprika
- 0.5 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1 pinch Sea salt and black pepper
- 8 tablespoon homemade BBQ sauce
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 190°C/375°F/Gas 5. Put the chicken wings in a large bowl with the oil, seasonings and baking powder. Mix well so that the wings are coated.
- Put on a lined baking sheet. Put in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- Put the cooked wings into a new bowl and add the BBQ sauce. Toss until they are covered in sauce.
- Put them back in the oven and cook for a further 20 minutes until crispy.
- Not a huge fan of BBQ sauce or want something spicier? Use buffalo sauce instead.
- Make some homemade ranch dressing to dip these in.
- Using baking powder dried the skin of the chicken out, making them extra crispy.
- If you want to make them extra crispy, then add a little flour to the rub mixture.