These Paprika Chicken Skewers are smoky, a little bit spicy, and a delicious way to make a chicken dinner a little bit more exciting. Served with a smoky aioli dip, they are a must at a tapas dinner party, or BBQs and picnics. If you don't include the marinating time, these are ready in just 10 minutes!
Chunks of chicken breast marinated in smoky paprika, garlic, lemon and a little bit of chilli and then threaded on wooden skewers and griddled.
This paprika chicken recipe is a really easy dish to make in a big batch to feed a crowd and along with the smoky aioli, these will be very popular. Perfect for a chicken tapas recipe or a light lunch.
Why you will love it
- A new way to enjoy chicken - If you are bored of cooking chicken breasts the same way all the time, this is a great new recipe to try.
- Ready in just 10 minutes (not including marinating time) - This is a super quick and easy recipe.
- High in protein - If you are trying to increase the protein in your diet, then these are a delicious little protein filled snack.
- Great for BBQs and picnics - Whack these on the BBQ and they will be a real crowd pleaser.
- Lots of ways to serve it - You can snack on these, or add to salads and sandwiches.
- Just 218 calories per serving - Healthy and delicious!
- Chicken - We have used chicken breast for this paprika chicken to keep it nice and lean. However, you could swap it for boneless and skinless chicken thighs which would be juicer and have more flavour.
- Oil - A good quality olive oil.
- Paprika - This is the star flavour here. We used smoked paprika, as we love the smoky flavour it gives these chicken skewers. Make sure the paprika you are using hasn't been open more than 6 months otherwise it will lose its flavour.
- Garlic - A little fresh garlic adds a lot of flavour. Make sure it is crushed in to a fine paste.
- Vinegar - We used red wine vinegar and not only does it add flavour, but it tenderises the chicken too.
- Chilli powder - This is optional, but we love the kick of heat it adds.
A full ingredients list with measurements is in the recipe card below.
How to make Paprika Chicken Skewers - Step by step
One: Put the chicken in a bowl.
Two: Add the olive oil, paprika, lemon juice, garlic, red wine vinegar and chilli powder. Mix and put in the fridge for at least 4 hours.
Three: Thread the chicken on to mini skewers (that have been pre-soaked).
Four: Heat some oil in a griddle pan and cook the skewers for 4 minutes each side, until cooked through.
Five: Mix together the aioli ingredients. Serve the chicken and aioli together.
These paprika chicken skewers can be served with almost anything. If you would serve it with chicken, then these skewers are perfect with it. We love it with creamy mashed potatoes, rice, flatbreads and salad or on our Winter Vegetable Salad.
If we are putting together a little tapas dinner, then these are a must. They are really filling and healthy, so it adds a nice lighter element to the meal.
This is also a great picnic kebab. So make extra and then use leftovers the next day to take to work or out on a picnic.
One thing that is a must to serve with this dish is a smoky aioli. It's so simple to put together by just mixing store bought aioli, paprika and lemon juice, but it intensifies the paprika flavour. You will want to dip everything in to this.
Frequently asked questions
We used a tablespoon. You want a generous amount, as it is the main flavour here.
Yes, you definitely can and I would recommend it as it gives the chicken time to marinate. These are perfect for a tapas dinner party, so you want to be able to make as much as you can ahead of time and then just cook these fresh as you are setting everything else on the table.
These chicken will keep in the fridge for about 24 hours before they will need to be cooked. Put the marinated chicken in an air tight container and then thread it before you are ready to cook it.
We cooked ours on the stove in a griddle pan, as they are only mini skewers and they took no time at all to cook. However, you could cook them under the grill, in the oven or on the BBQ too.
Any leftover skewers will keep fresh in an air tight container for around 3 days. We wouldn't recommend reheating them, as the chicken can get a little dry. So we use leftovers cold in things like salads and sandwiches.
• We made these as mini skewers, as they are great for sharing at a dinner party or on a party food table. But you could cut the chicken in to larger chunks and thread on to bigger skewers.
• Make sure you choose smoked paprika and buy the best quality that you can. You really will taste the difference.
• This has a little kick of heat from the chilli powder, however you could leave it out.
• These are best when marinated for at least 4 hours. However, they can be made ahead of time and kept in the fridge for 24 hours.
• We cooked ours on a griddle pan, as it was rally quick. However these can also be cooked under the grill, in the oven or on the BBQ. Cooking times will vary though.
More Spanish recipes
Paprika Chicken Skewers
For the chicken
- 300 g Chicken breast - cut into 1 inch chunks
- 2 tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Smoked paprika
- 2 Garlic clove - crushed
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 0.5 teaspoon Chilli powder
For the dip
- 50 g Aioli
- 1 tablespoon Lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Smoked paprika
- Put the chunks of chicken in a bowl
- Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Put in the refrigerator for 2 hours
- Thread the marinated chicken onto pre-soaked wooden skewers
- Heat some oil in a griddle pan and cook the chicken skewers for 4 minutes on each side
- Mix the dip ingredients together and serve in a bowl with the cooked chicken skewers
- We made these as mini skewers, as they are great for sharing at a dinner party or on a party food table. But you could cut the chicken in to larger chunks and thread on to bigger skewers.
- Make sure you choose smoked paprika and buy the best quality that you can. You really will taste the difference.
- This has a little kick of heat from the chilli powder, however you could leave it out.
- These are best when marinated for at least 4 hours. However, they can be made ahead of time and kept in the fridge for 24 hours.
- We cooked ours on a griddle pan, as it was rally quick. However these can also be cooked under the grill, in the oven or on the BBQ. Cooking times will vary though.