This homemade Peri Peri Seasoning has a real kick of heat and it's going to help you make your own authentic tasting Nando's recipes at home. This flavour packed peri peri spice mix is perfect on chicken, fish and fries and it's easy to adapt to suit your own taste.
What is Peri Peri Seasoning?
If you are a fan of Nando's (and I mean, who isn't?) then you will know exactly what peri peri tastes like, but you might not know where it comes from. A sweet, smoky and spicy seasoning mix that is a fusion of Portuguese and East African flavours.
The name comes from the fact that traditionally it would be made from dried Peri Peri chillies (a type of bird's eye chilli), however these are hard to find so you can use any hot chilli powder like cayenne.
If you are looking for more spice blend recipes, try our Fajita Seasoning, French Fry Seasoning or Burger seasoning.
Why you will love it
- Simple - It may look like a lot of ingredients to make your own Nando's seasoning, but they are ingredients that you probably already have if you have a well stocked spice rack. Make a big batch and then it's on hand whenever you need it.
- No preservatives - Making your own means that you can control exactly what goes into it with no hidden nasties.
- Stores well - Once you have your big batch of Nando's peri peri seasoning, it should keep in an air tight container for up to a year.
- Adaptable - The great thing about a homemade seasoning blend is that it's easy to adapt. Make it as spicy or as mild as you want.
- Versatile - As you will see below, there is so many ways to use this peri peri rub. Chicken, fish, fries, it goes on literally anything.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Paprika - This is actually ground roasted red peppers, which a lot of people don't know. We used smoked paprika, as it has a really incredible flavour.
- Salt and pepper - Generously season.
- Sugar - A little brown sugar adds a touch of sweetness which balances out the spiciness.
- Herbs - A little dried parsley and oregano add some freshness to the peri peri seasoning. Thyme would also work too. Only used dried herbs though, not fresh.
- Garlic and onion powder - These add a real flavour boost.
- Chilli power - Ideally this would be dried peri peri chillies, but as they are hard to find, you can use any chilli powder. We used cayenne.
- Ground coriander
- Ground cardamom - This is optional, but we find it adds an amazing flavour.
A full ingredients list with measurements is in the recipe card below.
How to make peri peri seasoning - Step by step
One: Add all of the herbs and spices to a bowl or large plate.
Two: Mix well to combine everything. Transfer to an air-tight jar.
These are SO many ways to use this peri peri seasoning (also know as piri piri seasoning), which is one of the many reasons we love it.
You can use it to make your own Nando's Chicken recipe, or even Nando's Fries or Nando's Rice. Or make a Nando's dip by mixing it into some mayo.
We also love it on some grilled fish or vegetables to add a lot of extra flavour. Why not try it on our Air Fryer Steak?
Frequently Asked Questions
As long as this is stored in a cool dark place, in an air tight container, then it should keep for up to a year. Although make sure all the herbs and spices used to make the seasoning have a long shelf life, otherwise this will only stay fresh as long as the shortest date. The longer it is stored the more mild the flavour will be.
Yes, as long as there is no cross contamination, then this is gluten free.
Well, this depends on how much spice you can handle and whether you added any extra chilli powder. Maybe add a little bit first, taste it and then adjust it. You can always add more, but can't take it out.
• For best results, buy ready ground spices. You can use a pestle and mortar to finely grind them, but a blender wouldn't work very well.
• Make sure you have a jar big enough to store the seasoning blend.
• It's best to mix everything in a bowl and then transfer it to a jar rather than trying to shake it in a jar. Whilst that might save on washing up, if the jar is very full there will not be enough room in it to get everything mixed together.
More spicy recipes
If you’ve tried this peri peri seasoning recipe, let us know how you got on in the comments below.
Tag us in your creations on Instagram @hungryhealthyhappy - Use the hashtag #hungryhealthyhappy too.
Peri Peri Seasoning
- 2 tablespoon Smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon Sea salt
- 1 tablespoon Black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon Dried parsley
- 2 teaspoon Garlic granules
- 2 teaspoon Onion granules
- 2 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoon Ground coriander
- 0.5 teaspoon Ground cardamom
- Add all of the herbs and spices to a bowl or large plate.
- Mix well to combine everything.
- Transfer to an air-tight jar.
- For best results, buy ready ground spices. You can use a pestle and mortar to finely grind them, but a blender wouldn't work very well.
- Make sure you have a jar big enough to store the seasoning blend.
- It's best to mix everything in a bowl and then transfer it to a jar rather than trying to shake it in a jar. Whilst that might save on washing up, if the jar is very full there will not be enough room in it to get everything mixed together.
I loved this seasoning! it was the perfect amount of each spice. So tasty!
I like to make all of my own seasoning blends, but I've never considered making peri peri seasoning before. Great idea!
I actually do have all of these in my cabinet right now! I'm excited to try this blend!
I'm intrigued by the kicked up flavors in this peri peri seasoning. I can't wait to use it on chicken or fries. Yum!
Oooh, such a fantastic combination of spices blended in this seasoning mix. So much flavor and I especially appreciate the extra tips to make it perfect.
We love making our own seasonings at home, so this is definitely going on my to-make list. Thank you!
This is a perfect, flavor packed seasoning. Will definitely be using a lot of this during grilling season.
Love this flavorful seasoning mix! It's SO tasty on chicken and grilled meats.
I adore homemade seasonings! I added this peri peri seasoning to some chicken last night and it was delicious!