Adding some homemade peri peri seasoning to fries is an easy way to give them a flavour boost. These Peri Peri Fries have a serious kick to them, and it's an easy way to make your own Nando's at home. Serve these Nando's fries with some homemade Nando's chicken for a real fakeaway treat.
What are Peri Peri Chips?
If you have been to Nando's before, then you have most likely experienced the taste sensation that is peri salted chips. Hot chunky chips/fries covered in peri peri seasoning and we have our own seasoning recipe that will take these to the next level - it almost feels wrong calling this a recipe because it is THAT simple!
A sweet, smoky and spicy seasoning mix with paprika, chilli, herbs and garlic that coat chips for a delicious side dish.
If you are looking for some more fries recipes, then why not try our smoky Paprika Chips, delicious Celeriac Chips or our spicy Masala Chips?
Why you will love them
- Makes chips more exciting - We love chips and would happily eat them every day, but they can get a bit boring the same way all the time. These peri chips have loads of flavour.
- Quick and easy - This is as simple as cooking chips and then mixing them with seasoning. Use frozen chips to make this recipe even easier.
- Adaptable - Feel free to adjust the seasoning to suit your own tastes.
- Versatile - There is pretty much nothing that these peri peri fries won't go with. We have lots of serving suggestions below.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Chips - To make this a really easy recipe, we "cheated" and used frozen chips cooked in the air fryer. But why not follow our recipe for Air Fryer Chips?
- Peri Peri Seasoning - We have used our homemade Peri Peri Seasoning, but you can use a store bought one if you prefer.
A full ingredients list with measurements is in the recipe card below.
How to make peri peri chips - Step by step
One: Cook the frozen chips according to the packet instructions. We cooked ours in an air fryer to make it quicker and we think it gives the best results.
Two: Put the cooked chips into a large bowl and sprinkle over the seasoning. Toss to coat the chips and serve immediately.
Chips and dip are a must, right? Why not make your own peri peri dip by mixing some peri peri sauce in to some mayo or yoghurt and then dipping these chips in. For something cooling, why not dip them in our Healthy Ranch Dressing?
Chips make a great side dish to almost anything. You can serve these with our Nando's Chicken recipe or they go well with any grilled chicken or fish or a side to a big salad. Basically, anything you would serve chips with, add these peri peri fries. Here are some suggestions:
You can adjust the seasoning itself to change how spicy or mild it it. Personally we like a really spicy peri peri. You can also change the type of chips you use. Make your life easier by using frozen, or make them yourself for something more impressive.
To take these Nando's fries to the next level, why not make them loaded? Put them in a baking dish with some chopped cooked chicken, some thinly sliced bell peppers and then smother them with cheese and bake. Drizzle with some peri peri sauce before serving.
Frequently Asked Questions
We wouldn't recommend this, as it can burn the seasoning. This is meant to be added like salt at the end.
These are best eaten straight after cooking, which is why we make a big batch of the seasoning and use frozen chips, so these can be thrown together last minute.
Yes, as long as you use gluten free chips and our homemade seasoning, then these are gluten free. Just make sure that there is no cross contamination.
• Toss everything together in a bowl to make sure all the chips are fully coated, so you get flavour with every bite.
• Use a warm mixing bowl to keep the fries hot.
• If you are using frozen chips, there is no need to add any oil.
• Why not try making these Nando's chips with sweet potato instead?
More chip recipes
If you’ve tried this peri peri chips recipe, let us know how you got on in the comments below.
Tag us in your creations on Instagram @hungryhealthyhappy - Use the hashtag #hungryhealthyhappy too.
Peri Peri Fries
- 250 g (9 oz) Frozen chips
- 2 tablespoon Peri peri seasoning
- Cook 250 g Frozen chips according to the packet instructions. We cooked ours in an air fryer to make it quicker and we think it gives the best results.
- Put the cooked chips into a large bowl and sprinkle over 2 tablespoon Peri peri seasoning. Toss to coat the chips and serve immediately.
- Toss everything together in a bowl to make sure all the chips are fully coated, so you get flavour with every bite.
- Use a warm mixing bowl to keep the fries hot.
- If you are using frozen chips, there is no need to add any oil.
- Why not try making these Nando's chips with sweet potato instead?
Such a great way to make frozen chips extra special!
Peri peri is one of my fav spice mixes - and these fries did not disappoint. Absolutely delicious!
Fries are our favorite side! I have never tried it with peri-peri! :-)
Lovely recipe! I already had everything in my spice cabinet to make your peri peri spice blend so it was very convenient! It's genius to use crinkle-cut chips, as they hold so much more of the flavour. My husband actually said they were better than Nandos!
These fries are SO good!! We served them alongside some veggie burgers and they brought so much flavor to the overall dish!
Fries are always a treat and this combination of Peri Peri seasoning takes it to the next level of yumminess.
dina and bruce miller
A zesty side dish! Yum!
Oooh, such a wonderful way to boost the flavor of fries! I love how easily they come together in the air fryer too.
So simple but delicious. These are going to go down well this weekend when we have chicken.
Cynthia | What A Girl Eats
Love the spice on these fries! So easy and reminds me of London.