A classic and delicious Chicken Quesadilla recipe that is also packed with vegetables. Gooey melted cheese on top of crunchy vegetables and fajita seasoned chicken. Serve with salsa, guacamole and tortilla chips for Mexican comfort food at its best!
When we are looking for a quick and filling meal, quesadillas are always our go-to as they can be ready in minutes and there is so many ways to make them. These chicken quesadillas really have it all, and they are a great way to use up leftover chicken too.
We never get bored of Mexican food, as there is just so much choice. But when it comes to quick and simple, quesadillas are where it's at. Two tortillas, chicken (use our air fryer chicken or slow cooker chicken) or beans, vegetables, fajita seasoning and cheese and then cooked in a pan for a couple of minute.
Why you will love them
- Mexican comfort food
- Easy to adapt
- A good way to use up leftover chicken
- Veggie packed
Step by step
One: Cook the peppers and onion in the oil for 5 minutes.
Two: Add the cooked chicken and the fajita seasoning and cook for a further 3 minutes.
Three: Cover two of the tortillas with a generous amount of the chicken mix.
Four: Sprinkle the grated cheese over the chicken and vegetable mix. Cover with the other tortilla and cook in a dry pan for 1 minute, one quesadilla at a time. Carefully flip the whole thing over and cook for a further minute, making sure the cheese has melted.
Five: Cut into quarters and serve.
What chicken to use
We used leftover cooked shredded chicken. We usually have a roast chicken on a Sunday, and have loads left over. So we shred it up and use it in pasta dishes, sandwiches and salads throughout the week. But we always save some to make chicken quesadillas.
You could also cook up some chicken thighs and shred them, and you will get much juicier meat, but that will of course change the nutritional information.
If you don't have any chicken cooked already, then you can dice a chicken breast up very small and put it in a hot pan with oil and gently cook for 4 minutes, then add the fajita seasoning and cook for a further minute or until the chicken is cooked through.
What to use instead of chicken
You can buy fajita seasoning in a packet, but it’s usually loaded with extra sugar and salt. It’s really easy to make yourself, and then you can make a big batch and keep it in a jar for whenever you make fajitas. We like to sprinkle it on salmon before grilling too.
We mix together 1 tablespoon each of chilli powder, smoked paprika and garlic powder with 1 teaspoon each of onion powder, cumin, ground coriander then a pinch of sea salt, black pepper and sugar.
What vegetables to add
We love any dish that we can give a little nutritional boost to with some vegetables and quesadillas are easy to do that with. We have added bell peppers and onion, but you could also add some spinach for some extra greens too.
What to serve these with
Tortilla chips, salsa and guac are a must when serving up these quesadillas. We make our Restaurant Style Salsa and Best Ever Guacamole. However, if you are looking for something a little different when it comes to the salsa, then you could try our Salsa Picante, Sweetcorn Salsa, Grilled Pineapple Salsa, or Mango Salsa.
You want to use a cheese that melts really well, so we go for a strong cheddar. Using a mature cheddar means that you can use less as it has such a strong flour. You basically want a hard cheese that melts well.
Whilst we love using corn tortilla in Mexican dishes, mainly tacos, they just won't work for quesadillas. You need to use flour tortillas, as they are much more pliable, they won't crack when cooked and they hold the cheese and filling together really well. You can also find flour tortillas in a range of sizes which is a bonus.
More Mexican recipes
- 1 Red bell pepper - sliced
- 1 Green bell pepper - sliced
- 1 Onion - sliced
- 100 g (3.5 oz) Cooked chicken
- 35 g (2.5 tablespoon) Fajita seasoning
- 4 (2) Corn tortillas
- 30 g (0.25 cups) Mature cheddar - grated
- 0.5 tablespoon Olive oil
- Heat 0.5 tablespoon Olive oil and cook 1 Red bell pepper,1 Green bell pepper and 1 Onion for 5 minutes.
- Add 100 g Cooked chicken and 35 g Fajita seasoning and cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Cover two of the4 Corn tortillas with a generous amount of the chicken mix.
- Sprinkle 30 g Mature cheddar over the chicken and vegetable mix
- Cover with the other tortilla and cook in a dry pan for 1 minute, one quesadilla at a time.
- Carefully flip the whole thing over and cook for a further minute, making sure the cheese has melted.
- Cut into quarters and serve.
- If you don't have leftover chicken, then you can fry up some small chopped chicken breasts.
- You can use store bought fajita seasoning if you don't want to make your own.
- Give these a green veggie boost by added some chopped spinach at the same time as the cheese.
- Use flour tortillas rather than corn, as there are more pliable.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and is calculated using online tools. Information can vary depending on various factors, but we have endeavoured to be as accurate as possible.