This Salsa Picante (literally spicy sauce) is quick and easy to make and can be thrown together within minutes for an easy dip when you have guests over. A fresh tomato salsa with a real kick to it, you can use it on tacos, burritos, eggs, as a salad dressing or just dig in with some tortilla chips.
This Salsa Picante lives up to its name, as it is HOT! Don't let that put you off though. You can always dial down the heat by using less chilli, or more if you really love spice.
Fresh tomatoes are blended up with garlic, coriander (cilantro), lime and chillies to make a juicy salsa that you will want to put on everything!
If you have a lot of tomatoes to use up at the end of summer, then this is a great recipe for that! Unlike our Restaurant Style Salsa, this uses fresh tomatoes - and the fresher the better, as you can really taste the difference.
Why you will love it
- Less than 40 calories a portion
- Takes just 10 minutes to make
- Takes under 5 minutes to make
- Lots of ways to use it
- Great for a party
Step by step
One: Put all of the ingredients into a food processor.
Two: Blend until smooth with a few chunks in it (or until desired consistency).
Three: Pour in to a pan and simmer for 3-4 minutes and then cool before serving.
It this the same as Pice de Gallo?
That's a good question! A salsa is more of a sauce and more blended and liquidy, where as pico de gallo is a chunkier salad. They both have very similar ingredients and can be used in the same way though.
How to use
You are going to want to make this salsa all summer long, so make sure you have lots of different ways to use it. We serve it as a dip with tortillas and guacamole at any kind of party we have, but there is so much more you can do with it. Use it as a spicy salad dressing or put it on top of your eggs for breakfast.
Other ways to use it include serving it with these Vegan Burrito Bowls, Grilled Chicken Tacos, Mexican Bean Burgers, or on these epic Breakfast Nachos.
If you store this salsa in an air tight container in the fridge then it will last for about a week. Any longer than that and it won't taste as fresh, but good luck trying to resist eating it all for a week!
• You don't have to heat the salsa, and you can just serve it straight away. But it does make it juicier and make it a nicer red colour.
• You can experiment with this salsa to adapt it to your own tastes. If you want less heat, use less chilli. If you don't love coriander, use less or leave it out. Want it more zesty? Add more lime!
• Serve with burritos, tacos, on eggs or as a salad dressing.
More dip recipes
If you’ve tried this Salsa Picante, let us know how you got on in the comments below.
Tag us in your creations on Instagram @hungryhealthyhappy - Use the hashtag #hungryhealthyhappy too.
- 8 Tomatoes
- 2 Jalapeños - (or to taste)
- 25 g (1.5 cups) Fresh coriander (cilantro)
- 1 (1) Onion
- 4 Garlic clove
- 2 (2) Limes - (juice only)
- 1 pinch Sea salt and black pepper
- Put all of the ingredients into a food processor.
- Blend until smooth with a few chunks in it (or until desired consistency).
- Pour in to a pan and simmer for 3-4 minutes and then cool before serving.
- You don't have to heat the salsa, and you can just serve it straight away. But it does make it juicier and make it a nicer red colour.
- You can experiment with this salsa to adapt it to your own tastes. If you want less heat, use less chilli. If you don't love coriander, use less or leave it out. Want it more zesty? Add more lime!
- Serve with burritos, tacos, on eggs or as a salad dressing.
Love making home made salsa!! Always looking for new versions, so excited to try this one!
Best salsa I've ever had, no joke, thank you!!!!
Heidy L. McCallum
I passed this recipe to my husband to make while I was at work and it turned out FAB!!! I told him to follow your instructions to the letter as you always have great recipes. I am so happy with his results! Another wonderful recipe that we will be making again!!
I really loved how quick and easy this is to make!
This looks like a great recipe to have on hand!! So easy and so full of flavor. I didn't realize that cooking it was a step in making this, I'll be trying that next time!!
Oh wow! I love Mexican food and this is something that my family wants me to make for some time now! Definitely making this tomorrow tex-mex might here we come.
I make a lot of my own salsas, but tried this one because I needed to use up some of the last tomatoes in the garden and the recipe was so easy! It is just delicious and I LOVE how easy it is!
So easy! And such a delicious salsa, too. :)
Ashley @ Sweetpea Lifestyle
This is definitely how salsa should be!!! Delicious!!
I'm a wuss, I's definitely have to have it on the milder side lol!
Sharing now :)
I have never has mexican food before. I am not very experimental when it comes to my cooking, but I am getting bored with plain chicken.
I have all these ingredients too :)
I put salsa on everything. Well....nearly.
Would this freeze well?
I am making your tacos tonight. I am going to make this to go with them!
I have not heard of this salsa before. I will give it a try - thanks.
This sounds amazing. I like to put salsa on my eggs in the morning with some avocado. Who says Mexican food can't be for breakfast?