Homemade Baked Tortilla Chips are so easy to make, with just 4 ingredients. Using store-bought flour tortillas, simply cut them into wedges, season them with an olive oil, salt and lime mix and bake until perfectly crispy and dip-able.
Skip the fried tortilla chips and make this delicious baked version instead. Much lighter than store bought chips, you can flavour them any way you want, and they store well for up to a week, so make a big batch of these to snack on with your favourite dip.
If you are looking for some other snack recipes to try, then why not make our Cheese Straws, Roasted Chickpeas, Healthy Flapjacks or Easy Sweetcorn Fritters.
Why should you try it?
- Baked, not fried - Tortilla chips are usually deep fried to get that crispiness. But you can get them crispy with baking too, and they are much lighter.
- Dip-able - If you love chips and dip, then make up a big batch of these and they can be eaten with your favourite dip
- Lots of different ways to season - We kept it simple with lime and salt, but there are lots of different seasonings you can add like cayenne or oregano.
- Store well - You can keep these for up to a week in an air tight container.
- Use up tortillas - This is a great way to reduce food waste and use up leftovers tortillas.
- Flour tortillas - We used flour tortillas, as that is our personal preference. But you could use corn tortillas instead if you prefer.
- Oil - This is what helps to chips get nice and crispy in the oven. We used olive oil.
- Lime - This adds a nice freshness to the baked tortilla chips.
- Salt - Season to taste.
A full ingredients list with measurements is in the recipe card below.
How to make Baked Tortilla Chips - Step by step
One: In a small dish, combine the oil and lime juice.
Two: Brush the oil mixture over the flour tortillas.
Three: Cut the flour tortillas into triangles (or any shape you like).
Four: Place the cut tortilla pieces in a single layer on a baking sheet and season with sea salt.
Five: Place in a preheated oven at 170°C/325°F/Gas 3 for 10-12 minutes, turning half way.
Tortilla Chip Flavours
The great thing about making your own tortilla chips is that you can flavour them any way you want. We just brushed them with an olive oil and lime mix and then sprinkled them with some sea salt. This is a really simple, but fresh way to flavour them, but definitely not your only option.
You could sprinkle them with a Mexican seasoning blend, or just a little smoked paprika and cayenne pepper. We also like to use a Cajun seasoning too.
What to serve with Baked Tortilla Chips
Chips need dip. It's a law or something. Thankfully we have got you covered when it comes to dip recipes to try. The dips in these photos are our Restaurant Style Salsa and Pineapple Salsa. But, you could also serve these baked tortilla chips with Salsa Picante, Jalapeno Sauce, Roasted Carrot Hummus, Tzatziki, or The Best Guacamole Recipe.
You can use corn or flour tortillas for this recipe. We used flour tortillas, as that is what we had and we find that they make bigger chips (as you can usually find flour tortillas in bigger sizes). However, if you are using corn tortillas they will get crispier faster, so keep and eye on them.
Making your own tortilla chips is a great way to reduce food waste and use up whatever tortillas that you have. You can also just make as many as you need, so you don't have a whole bag open, willing you to eat them all.
Once they have completely cooled, you can store them in an air tight container. They will stay fresh in there for up to a week - if you can keep yourself from eating them all for that long. They will get a bit soft when stores, but you can crisp them up again in the oven for a couple of minutes.
This really is a preference thing, so you need to keep an eye on them. I like my tortilla chips on the crispy side, so we put ours in the oven for around 10-12 minutes.
If you don't like them super crispy, then you might want to take them out at around 8 minutes. Keep an eye on them and take them out when they are a desired crispiness.
Dark baking sheets can cook things quicker, so check them after 6-7 minutes if you are using a dark baking sheet.
If you use gluten free tortillas and make sure that there is no cross contamination, then these are gluten free.
Yes, these are vegan.
These are baked rather than fried, so they are a lower in fat snack option.
If they are chewy, then you have probably used too much oil, or cooked them at a low temperature. What sure your oven is preheated before the tortilla chips go in.
• The easiest way to cut the tortillas is by using a pizza cutter.
• Brush the tortillas with oil before cutting them to make it easier.
• Feel free to change the seasoning. You could sprinkle them with a Mexican seasoning blend, or just a little smoked paprika and cayenne pepper.
• You can use corn or flour tortillas for this recipe.
• Cooking time depends on the tortillas you are using, and how crispy you like them. Keep an eye on them and take them out of the oven when they are your desired crispiness.
• These keep well in an air tight container for up to a week.
Dips for these chips
If you’ve tried these homemade tortilla chips, or any other recipe on the blog, then let us know how you got on in the comments below, we love hearing from you!
Tag us in your creations on Instagram @hungryhealthyhappy - we love sharing photos when people make our recipes. You can use the hashtag #hungryhealthyhappy too.
Homemade Baked Tortilla Chips
- 4 Flour tortillas
- 2 tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 Lime - juice only
- 1 pinch Sea salt
- Preheat your oven to 170°C/150°C(fan)/325°F/Gas 3.
- In a small dish, combine 2 tablespoon Olive oil and juice of 1 Lime.
- Brush the oil mixture over 4 Flour tortillas.
- Cut the flour tortillas into triangles (or any shape you like).
- Place the cut tortilla pieces in a single layer on a baking sheet and season with 1 pinch Sea salt.
- Place into the oven for 10-12 minutes, turning half way.
- The easiest way to cut the tortillas is by using a pizza cutter.
- Feel free to change the seasoning. You could sprinkle them with a Mexican seasoning blend, or just a little smoked paprika and cayenne pepper.
- You can use corn or flour tortillas for this recipe.
- Cooking time depends on the tortillas you are using, and how crispy you like them. Keep an eye on them and take them out of the oven when they are your desired crispiness.
- These keep well in an air tight container for up to a week.
Very addictive chips. Perfect side for any party. Thanks for sharing
Love the idea of adding a Mexican seasoning blend to them! Yum! Such a quick and easy snack.
Oh wow! I never knew it was so easy! Will be definitely making them at home.
I love this quick, easy and healthy chip option. My first batch disappeared so qucikly I am making another batch tomorrow.
Patricia @ Grab a Plate
So simple! And a great way to use up those tortillas that are coming up against their time in the sun :) And so great for scooping up a tasty salsa!
I've got some baking right now -- thanks for this quick and easy tortilla chip recipe!! Can't wait to pair it with melted pimento cheese dip!
This is the easiest recipe to follow. I did exactly as it says and they turned out perfect. Love making homemade chips. Thank you for the recipe!!
These tortilla chips turned out perfect! We loved them, and the lime juice really added a lovely freshness to them. Perfect!
What a good idea Dannii! Why have I never thought of this? I really just do this. I always have flour tortillas in the house. Sharing!
Just in time for the weekend! I can't believe how easy these are to make! Thanks!
I love how easy it was to make these! They came out perfectly and were so much tastier than store bought!
Usually I am too lazy to make my own tortilla chips but this recipe looks like a breeze! Bookmarking :)
Lisa | Garlic & Zest
This is just the type of healthy snack I love to munch on. I really like the idea of adding flavorings to it, too! I've got just the dip to go with them.
Love these chips! They are so easy to put together and the kids can help me too!
I just made a batch of homemade salsa, so I can't wait to make these chips to go with it!
homemade tortilla chips idea is one of my favorites. and comes out perfectly with a store-bought tortilla. Looking so crisp and crunchy.
These tortilla chips were so easy to make and delicious! Paired perfectly with homemade salsa I made.