These easy sausage rolls are made with just 3 ingredients and only take 12 minutes in the air fryer. Air Fryer Sausage Rolls are quicker than cooking them in the oven, and you get perfectly crispy sausage rolls.
I am sure that we are all looking for new ways to use your air fryer and cooking sausage rolls in the air fryer is a game changer. It's quicker, and the texture of the pastry is incredible. Yes, you CAN cook pastry in the air fryer!
Just puff pastry, sausages and an egg is all you need to make these air fryer sausage rolls, but we have given a few ways to adapt them too. An air fryer is also a great way to cook frozen sausage rolls. Perfect for picnics, packed lunches or a quick addition to a party food table.
Why you will love them
- Quick - These air fryer sausage rolls take just 12 minutes to cook, which is quicker than cooking them in the oven and there is no need to heat the oven up either.
- Minimal ingredients - Just 3 ingredients is all you need, but we have given some suggestions on how to adapt the sausage rolls.
- Freeze well - We always have a stash of these in our freezer. They defrost quickly, so we get them out for packed lunches in the morning.
- Delicious party food - It's not a party without a sausage roll, right? If your guests are hungrier than you thought or you have some unexpected visitors, then these easy sausage rolls are quick to put together.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Puff pastry - This is the best pastry to use for sausage rolls. It's delicious light and flaky. We always use store bought as it's so much easier and honestly we can't taste the difference.
- Sausages - Really anything goes here, but quality is important. We used 97% pork sausages with no other flavours. But you could use something like pork and apple or caramelised onion sausages.
- Egg - You don't have to use this, but it gives the golden colour to the pastry and helps it to crisp up.
A full ingredients list with measurements is in the recipe card below.
How to make air fryer sausage rolls - Step by step
One: Remove the sausage meat from their casings and put the meat into a bowl. Use a fork to break the meat up.
Two: Roll out the pastry and cut in half lengthways. Divide the sausage meat into two lines along the length of the pastry.
Three: Fold the pastry over the meat and gently press down (a). Use a fork to crimp the edge (b).
Four: Brush the long rolls with whisked egg (a). Cut each roll into four and pierce the top (b).
Five: Put the rolls into your air fryer basket and cook at 200°C for 12 minutes. You may have to cook in batches, depending on the size of your air fryer.
What to serve with air fryer sausage rolls
You can serve sausage rolls hot or cold. We prefer them warm from the air fryer. But be careful they are not too hot inside, especially if you are serving these to children. You could serve them with some chutney to dip them in, our even our Easy Onion Gravy, which could totally be a dip!
Our kids LOVE these and although they would happily just snack on them, then make a nice meal too when served with Air Fryer Potato Wedges and Slow Cooker Baked Beans. You also can't go wrong with some Homemade Tomato Ketchup or BBQ Sauce to dip these in.
The key to making the perfect crispy sausage roll is to not put too many wet ingredients in them so they don't get soggy. However, adding a little of something like caramelised onion chutney or apple sauce is a delicious addition.
If you wanted to make a vegetarian or vegan version of these sausage rolls, then that is definitely possible. Firstly, make sure the puff pastry is suitable for vegetarians/vegans. You can then use your favourite meat free sausage alternative. If you want these vegan, then use a plant based milk instead of egg wash.
We love anything that we can sneak vegetables into, and that's easy to do with these sausage rolls. After you have taken the sausage meat out of the casing, put it in a bowl and add a little finely grated carrot and then mix it all together. You can then follow the rest of the instructions.
Store: These will store well in the fridge in an air tight container for 3 days.
Freeze: These air fryer sausage rolls freeze really well, so we always freeze half of them and then we can just get them out of the freezer, defrost and then reheat for 20 seconds in the microwave. You can freeze them before baking too and then cook them from frozen - just add 10 minutes onto the cooking time.
Defrost: You can defrost them in the fridge.
Reheat: You can either heat them in the microwave or back in the air fryer.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you don't have an air fryer, then try our easy oven baked sausage rolls instead.
If you use a gluten free puff pastry, check your sausages are gluten free and that there is no cross contamination, then these can be gluten free.
Yes, you definitely can. You can make them up and then put them on a baking tray, covered in the fridge and they will keep until the next day when you are ready to bake them.
We can't rate highly enough the Power Air Fryer XL. The 5 litre capacity is big enough for cooking for the whole family and it can fry, grill, bake, sauté, roast and steam. There are simple touch screen controls and it heats up quickly and can cook your food up to 70% faster than a conventional oven. Also, it's dishwasher safe.
Yes, you can. They will need about 14-15 minutes at 200°C.
• We used store bought pastry, however you make your own if you wanted to save money.
• Take the pastry out of the fridge 15 minutes before you need to use it to stop it from cracking.
• You can use your favourite sausages in this recipe, and even use veggie and vegan sausages.
• Don't add too much filling, otherwise they will be hard to fold up and close.
• You could sprinkle these with sesame seeds after the egg wash.
• If you struggle to cut the sausage rolls, then put them in the fridge before cutting to firm the pastry up a bit.
• To lighten these up, you could use light puff pastry and reduced fat sausages.
More sausage recipes
If you’ve tried these sausage rolls in the air fryer, let us know how you got on in the comments below.
Tag us in your creations on Instagram @hungryhealthyhappy - Use the hashtag #hungryhealthyhappy too.
Air Fryer Sausage Rolls
- 375 g (13.25 oz) Puff pastry
- 400 g (14 oz) Pork sausages
- 1 Egg - whisked
- Remove the sausage meat from 400 g Pork sausages and put the meat into a bowl. Use a fork to break the meat up.
- Roll out 375 g Puff pastry and cut in half lengthways. Divide the sausage meat into two lines along the length of the pastry.
- Fold the pastry over the meat and gently press down. Use a fork to crimp the edge.
- Brush the long rolls with 1 Egg (whisked). Cut each roll into four and pierce the top.
- Put the rolls into your air fryer basket and cook at 200°C for 12 minutes. You may have to cook in batches, depending on the size of your air fryer.
- We used store bought pastry, however you make your own if you wanted to save money.
- Take the pastry out of the fridge 15 minutes before you need to use it to stop it from cracking.
- You can use your favourite sausages in this recipe, and even use veggie and vegan sausages.
- Don't add too much filling, otherwise they will be hard to fold up and close.
- You could sprinkle these with sesame seeds after the egg wash.
- If you struggle to cut the sausage rolls, then put them in the fridge before cutting to firm the pastry up a bit.
- To lighten these up, you could use light puff pastry and reduced fat sausages.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and is calculated using online tools. Information can vary depending on various factors, but we have endeavoured to be as accurate as possible.