Did you know that you can get perfectly cooked halloumi in the air fryer in just 10 minutes? No need to cook it in loads of oil, but the air fryer still gets this salty cheese nice and crispy. Air fryer halloumi is the perfect addition to a salad or sandwich, or enjoyed as a snack. Read on for all the tips and serving suggestions.
We love halloumi not just for its taste, but because to retains its shape whilst it is cooking and the air fryer is the best way to cook it. Quick and easy, and no need to add loads of oil, just a little brushed over each slice.
If you are looking for more easy air fryer recipes, why not try our Air Fryer Steak, Air Fryer Bacon, Air Fryer Garlic Bread or Air Fryer Potato Wedges?
Why you will love it
- Quick and easy - This is an easy hands off method of cooking halloumi.
- Perfectly cooked halloumi - This is soft in the middle, with crispy edges.
- Lighter - This isn't fried in lots of oil, so it is a lighter way to cook halloumi.
- Versatile - There are so many different ways to use this air fryer halloumi. Put it on top of a salad or sandwich, or use one of the halloumi recipes we have shared below.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Halloumi - The star of the recipe. We actually used lighter halloumi for this recipe, to save some calories and fat and it worked really well. You can use full fat halloumi if you prefer.
- Oil - You could leave this out if you wanted to, but we find that a little bit of olive oil brushed on to each slice really helps them to crisp up and give that golden brown colour.
A full ingredients list with measurements is in the recipe card below.
How to make air fryer halloumi - Step by step
One: Slice the halloumi into 6 slices. Pat dry on both sides with paper towel.
Two: Brush the slices of halloumi with olive oil on both sides.
Three: Arrange the slices in a single layer in your air fryer.
Four: Cook at 180°C for 8 minutes. Flip the slices over and cook for a further 2 minutes.
What to serve with Air Fryer Halloumi
There are SO many amazing ways to serve this air fryer halloumi. We love adding it to our Greek Meze Platter, drizzled with honey. The sweet and salty combination is insane!
We have loads of halloumi recipes that you could use this in. Why not try our Halloumi Salad, Halloumi Fajitas, Halloumi Curry, Halloumi Pasta or Greek Halloumi Wraps?
Who says halloumi isn't for breakfast? Get an English muffin, top it with cooked spinach, halloumi and a poached egg. For something a little more indulgent, we like to serve it with a full English breakfast.
Eggs, bacon, sausage, tomatoes, mushrooms and halloumi. YUM! You could leave the sausages and bacon out and put halloumi in replacement of it, as it has that salty flavour.
If you wanted to make air fryer halloumi fries like suggested below, then they are delicious as a snack with some dip. Why not try our Chipotle Southwest Dip, Healthy Ranch or Healthy BBQ Sauce?
We didn't season our air fryer halloumi with salt or pepper, because halloumi is naturally salty. However, if you wanted to add some extra flavour, then a little dried thyme or oregano would be a good addition.
You might be wondering, can I make halloumi fries in the air fryer, and the answer is YES! Follow our recipe for Baked Halloumi Fries, but cook them in the air fryer at 180°C for about 12 minutes.
Frequently Asked Questions
This will depend on the type of air fryer you are using, and how thick or thin you have cut your halloumi slices. Ours took 10 minutes, turning once. But, we would suggest checking it after about 6 minutes to see how it's going.
You will know that it is cooked when it has softened, and started to crisp up and brown around the edges.
We really can't rate our Ninja Foodi Max Dual highly enough. It has a huge 9.5 litre capacity, it allows you to cook two different things at once and it has 6 different cooking functions. It is 65% more efficient than an oven and uses 75% less fat than traditional cooking. It is also dishwasher safe.
We don't think that reheated halloumi is very good, as it will be very dry. So, try to only cook as much as you need so nothing goes to waste.
• Make sure the halloumi is in a single layer in the air fryer and not stacked, otherwise it will not cook properly.
• Because by air frying halloumi you are not cooking it in a lot of oil, it will be a little drier. But we don't mind that to save on the extra fat from the oil. That's why we like to serve it alongside something with lots of moisture, like a salad.
• You can dice the halloumi rather than slicing it and cooking it in the air fryer, which would have a shorter cooking time.
More air fryer recipes
If you’ve tried this air fryer halloumi recipe, let us know how you got on in the comments below.
Tag us in your creations on Instagram @hungryhealthyhappy - Use the hashtag #hungryhealthyhappy too.
Air Fryer Halloumi
- 225 g (8 oz) Reduced fat halloumi - sliced
- 0.5 tablespoon Olive oil
- Slice the halloumi into 6 slices. Pat dry on both sides with paper towel.
- Brush the slices of halloumi with olive oil on both sides.
- Arrange the slices in a single layer in your air fryer.
- Cook at 180°C for 8 minutes. Flip the slices over and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Make sure the halloumi is in a single layer in the air fryer and not stacked, otherwise it will not cook properly.
- Because by air frying halloumi you are not cooking it in a lot of oil, it will be a little drier. But we don't mind that to save on the extra fat from the oil. That's why we like to serve it alongside something with lots of moisture, like a salad.
- You can dice the halloumi rather than slicing it and cooking it in the air fryer, which would have a shorter cooking time.
I'm a vegetarian and halloumi is one of my FAVORITE foods!! It was so easy to make in the air fryer!
Love how crispy and salty and tasty this is! The air fryer really does a great job at making this golden and perfect.
Juicy, soft and flavorful. Came out really good and we loved everything about this recipe.
Great way to bake halloumi, super convenient!
I loved this as a side to my sandwich. Totally completed the meal and was so delicious! Thank you!
Love how quick and easy this haloumi is to make. It's perfect for salads, sandwiches or even a snack.
This was delicious! We really enjoyed both making and eating it!
I made this halloumi last night and oh my goodness was it delicious! And even better that it's made in the air fryer!
Love love love halloumi, and it turns out so well in the air fryer! This was a great little side to our dinner.
What a genius way to make (my fave) cheese ever!! I can't wait to give it a try.