This might be our most simplest recipe yet, but Air Fryer Toast gives you the most incredible texture toast and it is really handy for batch making toast, or those living in small space or renovating a kitchen.
About air fryer toast
If you can ever wondered can you do toast in an air fryer, then the answer is YES! It's super easy and convenient and the texture is totally different from using a toaster - in the best way.
You also might be wondering why. Why not just use a toaster? Well, some people don't have one (we didn't for years) but they might have an air fryer. Also, if you need to make a lot of toast and your toaster is already in use, then make toast in the air fryer.
When our kitchen was out of action because of renovations, we just set the air fryer up in our dining room and did all our cooking in that. Air fryer toast was a staple breakfast for us.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Bread - I told you it was simple! Just one ingredient and an air fryer is all you need. The great thing about this recipe is you can use any bread. White, brown, gluten free, sourdough. They all work! You can even toast our Homemade Slow Cooker Bread in it.
A full ingredients list with measurements is in the recipe card below.
How to make air fryer toast - Step by step
One: Put the bread into your air fryer.
Two: Cook at 180°C for 3 minutes. Turn over and cook for a further 2 minutes.
Nobody wants plain toast. Because air fryer toast has such an incredible crunch to it, it will be a little drier than if you were using a toaster. So you need something on it, even if it is just some butter. However, where is the fun in that? Here are some of our favourite toast toppings:
- Smashed avocado - It's a classic and my go-to for a quick and easy lunch. Add some extra protein with a poached egg on top.
- Banana and almond butter - This is my kids favourite and it's usually what I make them when they get in from school to keep them going until dinner time. Why not try making your own Almond Butter or Peanut Butter?
- Jam - Jam on toast was a childhood classic right? If you want a healthier version, then try our Strawberry Puree on top.
- Nutella - For the chocolate lovers, Nutella is always a good choice. Why not try making your own Healthy Nutella?
- Eggs - For a protein packed breakfast it has to be eggs on toast. Try our Microwave Scrambled Eggs, Air Fryer Boiled Eggs or Microwave Fried Eggs.
Frequently Asked Questions
The simple answer is you don't. This is best made fresh and eaten straight away.
Yes you can. English muffins work too and you can pretty much toast any bread product in the air fryer.
If you find the toast is flying around in your air fryer, then you can weight it down with an air fryer rack. But we haven't found this to be a problem.
More toast recipes
Air Fryer Toast
- 4 slice Bread
- Butter - (optional)
- Put the bread into your air fryer.
- Cook at 180°C for 3 minutes. Turn over and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Every air fryer cooks differently, and everyone likes their toast cooked differently, so feel free to adjust the cooking time to suit your air fryer and your preference.
- This is also a great method to make things on toast, like cheese on toast. Also, put almond butter, banana and honey on top and put it back in the air fryer for 1 minute. SO good!
- Different breads cook at different times, so it's important to keep an eye on your toast to make sure it isn't overcooked.
- Depending on the size of your air fryer and your bread, you may be able to fit 2 sliced of bread into each basket.
- Don't overlap the slices of bread in the air fryer.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and is calculated using online tools. Information can vary depending on various factors, but we have endeavoured to be as accurate as possible.