Our easy recipe for Smashed Eggs on Toast is something a little different for breakfast and gives you the perfect runny boiled eggs on toast in under 10 minutes. Cooked whites and runny yolk, all smashed up on chunky slices of bread. Much easier than dipping bread in runny eggs and a nice change from scrambled or poached eggs. A quick and easy breakfast.
This is seriously the easiest way to eat eggs on toast. We want to show you that healthy eating can be quick and easy too. These smashed eggs are perfect for a speedy breakfast, easy to adapt and protein packed. It's delicious and filling and will keep you going until your next meal.
If you are looking for some other things to serve on toast, then why not try our Tomatoes on Toast, Easy Pizza Toast, Mexican Beans on Toast, Creamy Mushrooms on Toast or Smashed Avocado on Toast?
Why you will love it
- A delicious way to eat eggs - Love eggs, but bored of serving them the same way all the time? This is a great way to mix things up.
- Quick and easy - These smashed eggs are ready in just over 5 minutes. Perfect for a healthy breakfast on those busy mornings.
- Versatile - There is so many ways you can serve these smashed eggs. We have given all our favourite serving suggestions below.
- Eggs - This is the main ingredient. Make sure to use the freshest eggs you can and bring them to room temperature before using. We used a medium sized egg. The size of the egg will vary the cooking time.
- Bread - There are so many options here and we have given lots of ways to change this up below. We have used a slice of granary bread.
- Butter - This is optional to put on the toast. You could use mayonnaise instead.
A full ingredients list with measurements is in the recipe card below.
How to make smashed eggs on toast - Step by step
One: Add the eggs to a pan of boiling water. Boil until cooked to your liking. We did ours for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, toast your bread.
Two: Remove the eggs from the hot water and put them in a bowl of cold water. Crack the shell and peel it off. Butter the toast and place the eggs on top.
Three: Using a fork, press down on the eggs, breaking them up over the toast.
What are smashed eggs?
Well, it's in the name. It is a (runny) boiled egg that is then smashed up on some toast using a fork. It has all the deliciousness of a gooey boiled egg, but served like a poached egg. It's kind of like an open egg sandwich, but without the mayonnaise. Although feel free to spread some mayonnaise on the bread before serving.
Health benefits of eggs
Eggs are delicious and nutritious, not to mention a great budget friendly ingredient for making versatile meals. They are a great source of protein, Omega-3s and "good" cholesterol. They are a good source of vitamin B12, B6, vitamin D, selenium, and other important minerals!
What to serve with smashed eggs
If you are eating them by themselves, then a pinch of good sea salt and pepper adds loads of flavour. We are also partial to a good splash of hot sauce on these too. We put cress and chives on ours, as it adds lots of flavour and some freshness. You could add any leafy herb though and swap the cress for rocket (arugula) lettuce.
Some kind of bread is a must with eggs, right? We love serving these with our Homemade Easy Bagels. Or if you want to try making your own loaf of bread, then why not try our Easy White Loaf Recipe? You could also fold them up in our Homemade Flatbreads with some beans, salsa and guacamole for a breakfast wrap/burrito.
If you want something extra with your smashed eggs, then we recommend some bacon and our Air Fryer Bacon recipe keeps it a lighter option. You could also add sausages (see how to cook sausages in the oven), smoked salmon or mushrooms.
If you want to add some greens to your breakfast, then some spinach cooked in a little butter, or even raw goes well with these eggs. It's also a good way to use up leftovers of our Lemon Roasted Asparagus and makes these feel a little more special - breakfast for a Sunday brunch.
This is best made fresh, however you can store unpeeled, soft-boiled eggs in the fridge, where they will keep for two days. You can reheat them by putting them into simmering water on the hob for a minute.
How long does it take to boil an egg?
This comes down to preference, but we think that smashed eggs should have a runny yolk. Here is a guide for how long to boil an egg for, depending on how runny you like them.
- 5 minutes: set white and runny yolk – perfect for smashed eggs in our opinion.
- 6 minutes: liquid yolk – but less runny than above.
- 7 minutes: almost set – the yolk is still a bit sticky.
- 8 minutes: just set – but not quite hard boiled.
- 10 minutes: this is a hard-boiled egg – this is what you would use for an egg sandwich.
Have you tried using our Air Fryer Boiled Eggs?
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, as long as there is no cross contamination, then this can be gluten free. Just be careful that whatever you are serving it with is gluten free too.
If your yolk is not runny, then it is over cooked. Make sure to remove the eggs from the water right away, as this will stop them continuing to cook. You can also put them into iced water to stop them cooking.
If your eggs cracked, it's because they were too cold when they went into the boiling water. Using room temperature eggs means it is less of a shock for the egg and therefore less likely to crack.
• Let refrigerated eggs reach room temperature before boiling.
• Fresh eggs are always best for smashed eggs. Place the egg in a bowl of water, and if it sinks, it is fresh. Floating eggs should be thrown away because they are too old. Although fresh eggs taste better, they are harder to peel.
• For the easiest way to peel a boiled egg, crack it on a hard surface and then put it back in to a pan of cold water and peel it under the water.
More egg recipes
If you’ve tried these smashed eggs, then let us know how you got on in the comments below.
Tag us in your creations on Instagram @hungryhealthyhappy - You can use the hashtag #hungryhealthyhappy too.
Smashed Eggs on Toast
- 4 Eggs - medium
- 2 slice Bread
- 1 teaspoon Butter - softened
- Add 4 Eggs to a pan of boiling water. Boil until cooked to your liking. We did ours for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, toast 2 slice Bread.
- Remove the eggs from the hot water and put them in a bowl of cold water. Crack the shell and peel it off. Spread 1 teaspoon Butter on the toast and place the eggs on top.
- Using a fork, press down on the eggs, breaking them up over the toast.
- Let refrigerated eggs reach room temperature before boiling.
- Fresh eggs are always best for smashed eggs. Place the egg in a bowl of water, and if it sinks, it is fresh. Floating eggs should be thrown away because they are too old. Although fresh eggs taste better, they are harder to peel.
- For the easiest way to peel a boiled egg, crack it on a hard surface and then put it back in to a pan of cold water and peel it under the water.
Made this recipe this morning terrific and the kids raved about it
Addicted to this for breakfast!! I have a little avocado on the side too!
This is a perfect breakfast for my boys before school. Only takes me a few minutes and they love it!
My kind of breakfast! Traditional breakfast ingredients but with a modern twist! Great recipe! Definitely recommend it with some chilli flakes on top! :)
I loved this recipe the first time I made it and just made it again. So good!
It's funny: you hear "smashed eggs on toast" and it sounds like a mess; you serve smashed eggs on toast and it's one of the most eye-catching brekkies out there. Not to mention easy and absolutely delicious!
Such a great idea. I love a boiled egg but it's such a faff with the shell, especially for kids. So much easier this way.
Hubby and I just loved this. Simple, delicious, and healthy.
This early in the morning to see this recipe made my mouth water! I just love the ingredients in this a must-try immediately!
Love smashed eggs on toast! Quick, simple and so satisfying!
So tempting, I am having this for breakfast tomorrow, got all m,y ingredients!
Smashed Egg on Toast is exactly like how I would love to enjoy it over the weekend. So easy!
My family absolutely loves it when I make this! It's so fun and easy to make.