A light and bright side dish that is super easy to prepare. Roasted Lemon Asparagus takes just 12 minutes in the oven and only uses 5 ingredients (including seasoning). An impressive but simple side dish that is easy to cook in bulk and can even be done on the BBQ.
Roasted vegetables are the best way to enjoy vegetables in my opinion and this is one of my favourite roasted veggie side dishes. Crispy on the outside and tender in the middle. Perfect for the warmer months to eat along side grilled salmon or chicken, this is a healthy way to have a veggie boost, and still with plenty of flavour.
If you are looking for some other asparagus recipes, why not try our 10 Minute Asparagus Salad, Asparagus Soup or Feta and Asparagus Frittata?
Why you will love it
- A delicious way to enjoy asparagus
- A one pan dish (less clean up)
- Only 81 calories a portion
- Can be prepared in advance
- A great dish for a BBQ
- Asparagus - To ensure that this is the BEST asparagus salad, make sure you are making this with in-season asparagus. Not only will it have the best flavour and texture, but it will be cheap too. Try to go with medium thickness spears - not the really thick ones. To get the perfect asparagus, look for spears that are firm and a nice bright green colour. The tips should be dry and held tightly to the stalk. Thinner asparagus spears are younger and therefore more tender.
- Lemon - An easy way to add some freshness to any dish. To make it really lemony, add lemon juice and zest.
- Oil - Try to use a good quality olive oil.
- Salt and pepper - Season generously
A full ingredients list with measurements is in the recipe card below.
Step by step
One: Chop the woody ends off the asparagus.
Two: Lay the asparagus on a baking sheet and add the rest of the ingredients and mix well. Add some slices of lemon on top.
Three: Put in a preheated oven at 190°C/375°F/Gas 5 for 12 minutes, until the asparagus is tender.
How to pick asparagus
Before you even get to making this recipe, you want to make sure that you pick the perfect asparagus.
Try to pick the thinner asparagus, as the thicker ones can be more woody and overripe. You want them to be firm, and not limp and a nice bright green colour. Make sure the spears aren't wet and mushy - you are looking for them to be closed.
How to store asparagus
You should try to use asparagus on the day that it is bought, but if that isn't possible then we have some tips on how to keep it fresh for up to 7 days in the fridge. Take a look at this post on How To Store Asparagus.
Health benefits of asparagus
Asparagus is a nutrient dense vegetable and definitely one you should be trying to include in your diet more often. It is high in fiber, vitamins A, C, E and K and packed full of antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties.
What to serve this with
This such a versatile side dish, and we have lots of suggestions of recipes that it will pair beautifully with. If you love salmon, why not try this Creamy Dill Salmon or Lemon, Garlic and Rosemary Salmon.
Is chicken more your thing? Then it goes well with these Paprika Chicken Skewers, Slow Cooker Balsamic Chicken, or Honey and Lime Chicken.
If vegetarian dishes are what you are looking for, then this side goes well with our Vegetable Halloumi Kebabs, Mushroom and Spinach Risotto, or Shakshuka.
Yes, and that's what makes it such a great dish for serving up at a dinner party. Mix everything together and lay it on your baking sheet and then keep it in the fridge until you are ready to put it in the oven. Note that it may need a few minutes extra to cook if coming out of the fridge.
Roasted asparagus is a great batch cook dish, as it will store in the fridge for 2-3 days. Roast up a big tray of it and then keep in the fridge to add to meals throughout the week. It's a good addition to salads and pasta dishes for easy work lunches. Or even just to snack on.
• Make this lemon asparagus a little more indulgent by by sprinkling over grated Parmesan just before serving.
• You could also add some fresh crushed garlic before roasting.
• You can prepare it in advance by mixing everything together, putting it on a baking tray and keeping it in the fridge until it is ready to go in the oven.
More side dish recipes
If you’ve tried this lemon asparagus recipe, let us know how you got on in the comments below.
Tag us in your creations on Instagram @hungryhealthyhappy - Use the hashtag #hungryhealthyhappy too.
Roasted Lemon Asparagus
- 24 Asparagus spears
- 2 tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 Lemon - (juice only)
- 1 pinch Sea salt and black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 190°C/170°C(fan)/375°F/Gas 5. Chop the woody ends off of 24 Asparagus spears.
- Lay the asparagus on a baking sheet and add2 tablespoon Olive oiljuice of 1 Lemon and 1 pinch Sea salt and black pepper and mix well. Add some slices of lemon on top.
- Put into the oven for 12 minutes, until the asparagus is tender.
- Make this side dish a little more indulgent by by sprinkling over grated Parmesan just before serving.
- You could also add some fresh crushed garlic before roasting.
- You can prepare it in advance by mixing everything together, putting it on a baking tray and keeping it in the fridge until it is ready to go in the oven.
Yum! Loved this recipe! It was easy and so tasty! Will definitely be making again!
What a wonderful, simple summer dish! I love the freshness of the lemon with asparagus!
Fantastic dish that is an absolutel must-have for anyone in love with asparagus. Yum!
Nart at Cooking with Nart
I was looking for an as paragus recipe and because this one looked really good and said it takes just 12 minutes, I tried it. It was really, really good!
Roasted asparagus is one of my favorite side dishes in the spring & summer! Love the addition of lemon in this recipe!
This looks so good. Roasted asparagus is the best and the addition of lemon is fabulous.
This is my favourite way to make asparagus! I love it topped with parmesan or feta.
The lemon in this adds such a bright flavor that pairs wonderfully with the asparagus! It was the perfect side to our dinner. Delicious!
I love that asparagus season is here! This recipe is simple and delicious!
This was so delicious and had great flavor. Thanks for a great recipe!