If you haven't tried avocado on toast, then you are missing out. A quick and simple nutritious breakfast and our Smashed Avocado on Toast 5 Ways will show you five delicious topping ideas that are for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
A thick slice of toasted bread, spread with perfectly seasoned smashed up avocado and then topped with a whole selection of amazing toppings. Sweet, salty, spicy, we have it all. Avocado on toast isn't just for hipsters - it should be your go-to option for a quick and nutritious meal.
If you are looking for some other things to serve on toast, then why not try our Smashed Eggs on Toast, Tomatoes on Toast, Easy Pizza Toast, Mexican Beans on Toast or Creamy Mushrooms on Toast.
Why you will love them
- Quick and easy - All of these recipes take less than 10 minutes to make.
- A great breakfast or lunch option - You can eat this at any time of day, or even as a snack!
- So many ways to enjoy avocado on toast - Why have just avocado on toast, when you can load it with toppings. We have given you 5 different ways to change it up.
How to pick the perfect avocado
The key is to pick a ripe but not over-ripe avocados. We like Hass avocados. Try to look for avocados that give a bit to a gentle squeeze. But you don't want one that it too soft, as it will be over ripe.
Don't worry if when you cut in to it there are some bruised or brown bits, as you can scoop those out and discard before smashing the rest up.
What bread to use
The bread is what holds everything together, so you want to choose the best quality possible. We love thick slices of sourdough, but some seeded bread or tiger loaf is good too. Basically, something thick and sturdy. This recipe is a great way to use your favourite bread.
The smashed avocado really is the star of this easy to adapt recipe, so you want to get it right. Once you have chosen the perfect avocado, cut it open, scoop out the flesh and then smash it up in a bowl.
You could just leave it like this, but we 100% recommend seasoning it. A generous pinch of crushed sea salt and black pepper really brings the avocado to life, and we life a squeeze of lime juice too.
Avocado on toast toppings
Bacon and Fried Egg
Bacon and eggs is such a classic breakfast combo and it goes SO WELL on top of avocado toast. The slight hint of saltiness from the bacon mixed with the creaminess of the avocado just hits the stop. Then it gets even better with a crisp fried egg with a runny yolk.
Simply fry or grill the bacon until your liking and then fry the egg to however runny or cooked you like your egg. Pile the bacon and egg on top of your avocado toast.
You wouldn't usually think to add this Italian salad option onto avocado toast, but it just works. Slices of creamy mozzarella and sweet, juicy fresh tomatoes layered on top with a drizzle of balsamic glaze. It makes a lovely and light lunch option.
Halloumi and Honey
The combination of sweet and salty here is amazing. Grilled (or dry fried) slices of halloumi piled on top and then drizzled with a generous amount of honey. So. Good. The honey really brings out the saltiness of the halloumi, in the best possible way.
This might be one of my favourite topping options, as it is just so light and fresh, but full of flavour. Grill up some corn (or you can use leftover grilled corn from a BBQ) and use a knife to slice the corn off. Mix it with some halves of cherry tomato, feta (or Cotija if you want to keep it traditionally Mexican), lime juice and coriander and then pile it all on top.
Perfect Poached Egg
This has to be the classic avocado on toast topping, so we couldn't leave it out. So simple, but it is breakfast perfection. Check out our post with all our tips on How To Make The Perfect Poached Egg.
Frequently asked questions
As long as you use gluten free bread, make sure the toppings are gluten free and there is no cross contamination, then this can be gluten free.
The basic recipe is vegan and then the Mexican topping can be vegan if you use vegan feta alternative.
Avocado is full of healthy fats, and it is very nutritious. Load the toast with some vegetables and a protein packed egg and you have yourself a healthy and filling breakfast.
• To store unused halves of avocado, wrap it tightly with plastic wrap and place in fridge - it will be good until the next day. Don't worry if it goes a little brown, as you can just scrape that bit off and you will be left with bright green avocado.
• If you don't like your avocado mashed up, or you just can't be bothered, you could slice it instead.
• Add a kick of heat to all of these with a sprinkle of red chilli flakes.
• Make sure to leave toasting the bread until the last minute. You don't want cold and chewy toast with everything loaded on top.
• Don't forget to generously season the dish before serving.
• For extra flavour, rub a garlic clove over the toast before adding the smashed avocado.
• We love a sprinkle of everything bagel seasoning to top too.
More avocado recipes
If you’ve tried these smashed avocado recipes, let us know how you got on in the comments below.
Tag us in your creations on Instagram @hungryhealthyhappy - Use the hashtag #hungryhealthyhappy too.
Smashed Avocado on Toast 5 Ways
- 1 slice Sourdough bread
- 0.5 Avocado
- 0.5 Lime - juice only
- 1 pinch Sea salt and black pepper
- Toast the bread
- Smash the avocado in a bowl and add the lime juice, salt and pepper and stir.
- Spread on the toast
- Top with toppings of choice
- To store unused halves of avocado, wrap it tightly with plastic wrap and place in fridge - it will be good until the next day. Don't worry if it goes a little brown, as you can just scrape that bit off and you will be left with bright green avocado.
- If you don't like your avocado mashed up, or you just can't be bothered, you could slice it instead.
- Add a kick of heat to all of these with a sprinkle of red chilli flakes.
Nart at Cooking with Nart
Wow, these all look great! I love avocado toast...will have to try them all!
I absolutely love it! I have it for dinner every week, its quite filling so I don't need to eat anything else. Its' easy, tasty and lets face it ... we all have an egg or two at home. Just get a nice and ready to eat avocado and it's done. I little adding some chopped fresh tomato and chilly powder of top. Delicious!
The bacon and egg combo is calling my name! I'll also have to try the cheese and honey because those are amazing together although, I've never had them with avo before so that will be something new.
Avocado toast is seriously the best! I love all the options and this is one of my favorites for breakfast.
All of these are such delicious options! The Halloumi might be my favorite :)
I’m newer to avocado toast but fell in love with it last fall. All of these options are so exciting and delicious! Thank for all your guidance too.
This smashed avocado toasts look amazing! My favorite one is with the egg, will be making it soon.
These all look so delicious! Bacon and egg for me please.
I'm loving all of these! Can't wait to try that halloumi and honey toast though, that sounds amazing!
This is fab! I am going to try every recipe for my avocado loving husband!