These super Easy Sausage Rolls have just 3 ingredients and only take 5 minutes to prepare. A sheet of puff pastry, your favourite sausages and then a whisked egg to make them all golden and crispy. Perfect for parties, packed lunches or snacks and they freeze well too.
Sausage rolls are such a childhood classic, and they are a must on any party food buffet. Kids love them as snacks too and these couldn't be easier to make, as we have used ready made puff pastry and store bought sausages for this sausage roll recipe. These are great for batch cooking and storing in the freezer too.
Why you will love them
- Kids love them - These are a great addition to a picky lunch for kids or taking out as part of a packed lunch.
- Just 3 ingredients - These sausage rolls are SO easy to make. Just puff pastry, sausage and eggs.
- Great for batch cooking and freezing - Make a big batch of these homemade sausage rolls to keep in the freezer for quick and easy snacks.
- Puff pastry - These are puff pastry sausage rolls and yes we use store bought pastry. It makes these mini sausage rolls so quick and easy to make. Feel free to make your own if you prefer.
- Sausages - You can use any sausage you like to make sausage rolls with puff pastry, but try to use the best quality ones you can. Flavoured sausages like pork and apple or chilli add a nice extra flavour. You could use vegetarian sausages too.
- Egg - This is used to brush over the pastry to make the sausage rolls nice and crispy. If you have an egg allergy, you can use a milk wash instead.
A full ingredients list with measurements is in the recipe card below.
How to make sausage rolls - Step by step
One: Take a sheet of puff pastry and slice into 4.
Two: Take the sausages out of the casing and place them in the centre of each strip of pastry.
Three: Fold one side over the sausage meat and using a fork, crimp the edge all the way down.
Four: Slice each strip in to 9 pieces.
Five: Put the individual sausage rolls on baking trays and brush with the egg wash. Put in a preheated oven at 180°C/350°F/Gas 4 for 25 minutes, until they are cooked through.
We love anything that we can sneak vegetables in to, and that's easy to do with these sausage rolls. After you have taken the sausage meat out of the casing, put it in a bowl and add a little finely grated carrot and then mix it all together. You can then follow the rest of the instructions.
You could also add a very thin layer of thick onion gravy to the pastry before adding the sausages. It needs to be very thick and a very small amount, otherwise the pastry will get soggy. But it's a nice way to take this sausage roll recipe to the next level.
What to serve with sausage rolls
These are meant as a little snack or party food, so you wouldn't really serve them with a side. However, sausage rolls need a dip and we recommend our Homemade Healthier Tomato Ketchup or Healthy BBQ Sauce.
Puff pastry is the way to go when it comes to those lovely puffy sausage rolls. We are big fans of anything that saves us time, so we used store bought pastry. We have made our own before, but it's so time consuming and we honestly can't taste the difference. Feel free to make your own though.
There are so many sausage options out there, so you can use whatever is your favourite. We used chicken sausages, to keep them lean, however you could use pork sausages, or even veggie/vegan sausages.
A good way to add lots of extra flavour for easy sausage rolls is to use flavoured sausages like pork and apple, chicken and apricot or lamb and rosemary.
Yes, these freeze really well. This recipe makes 40 sausage rolls, which is quite a lot, so we always freeze half of them and then we can just get them out of the freezer, defrost and then reheat for 20 seconds in the microwave. You can freeze them before baking too and then cook them from frozen - just add 10 minutes on to the cooking time.
These will also store well in the fridge in an air tight container for 3 days.
These mini sausage rolls have 60 calories each. Perfect for a little snack.
They definitely can. Just follow our recipe for Air Fryer Sausage Rolls.
More snack recipes
Easy Sausage Rolls
- 375 g (13.25 oz) Puff pastry
- 4 Sausages
- 1 Egg - beaten
- Preheat your oven to 180°C/160°C(fan)/350°F/Gas 4.
- Take 375 g Puff pastry and slice lengthways into 4 strips.
- Remove the meat from 4 Sausages and place them in the centre of each strip of pastry.
- Fold one side over the sausage meat and using a fork, crimp the edge all the way down.
- Slice each strip into 9 pieces.
- Put the individual sausage rolls on baking trays and brush with 1 Egg. Put in the oven for 25 minutes, until they are cooked through.
- We used store bought pastry, however you make your own if you wanted to save money.
- You can use your favourite sausages in this recipe, and even use veggie and vegan sausages.
- Add extra flavour by using sausages with plenty of herbs and seasoning.
- Don't add too much sausage meat to each strip of pastry, as you will struggle to close the roll.
- Add some extra flavour with a thin layer or chutney before you put the sausages on the pastry.
- You could sprinkle these with sesame seeds after the egg wash.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and is calculated using online tools. Information can vary depending on various factors, but we have endeavoured to be as accurate as possible.