Bagel Crisps are the perfect little crispy snack. Made in the air fryer with with just 3 ingredients in 5 minutes. A great alternative to potato crisps and perfect for dipping. If you thought bagels were amazing already, you are going to love them even more!
Did you know that if you slice a bagel up, toss it with oil and seasoning and then air fry them, they become perfect little crisp alternatives? You would think it would be toast like, but they are actually really firm and crunchy because of a bagels texture.
If you have some stale bagels that need using up, then make sure that nothing goes to waste and make bagel chips with them. We will warn you though, they are super addictive and you will want to eat them all!
Why you will love them
- So addictive - These are super moreish, so make sure you make lots of these.
- A great way to reduce food waste - Don't throw away stale bagels, as they make great bagel crisps.
- Delicious snack - We are big snackers, but can get stuck in a bit of a snack rut sometimes. This is a delicious savoury snack that will keep you full until your next meal.
- Adaptable - The great thing about these bagel chips is that there are so many different ways that you can flavour them. We have given options below, including a sweet version.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Bagels - The big question is, what bagels can you use to make these bagel crisps? We used a plain bagel, as that is what we had that needed using up. However, the best one to use is an Everything Seasoning bagel, as they are loaded with flavour. Why not try using Homemade Bagels?
- Oil - We used a good quality olive oil.
- Seasoning - We used an Italian seasoning blend, and then a little paprika, but we have lots of options below.
A full ingredients list with measurements is in the recipe card below.
How to make bagel crisps - Step by step
One: Slice the bagels into disks.
Two: Put the sliced bagels into a bowl. Add the oil and seasoning and mix well, ensuring the bagels are coated evenly.
Three: Transfer to your air fryer basket and cook for 4 minutes at 180°C.
If you are using plain bagels like we have, then you have so many choices for seasoning options:
- BBQ seasoning
- Everything bagel seasoning
- Garlic powder and parmesan
- Fajita seasoning
- Garlic and rosemary
- Cinnamon sugar
If you wanted a sweet version of this, then you could use cinnamon and raisin bagels and use melted butter instead of oil. Then, when they are cooked you can toss them in a little more melted butter and some cinnamon sugar. SO good!
What to serve with bagel crisps
But, you can also dip them into soup. Why have just bread, when you can have crispy bagel chips? We would recommend having these with our Slow Cooker Vegetable Soup, Broccoli and Stilton Soup or Easy Tomato Soup.
Why not serve these up as party food and use them to make our Smoked Salmon Canapés?
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can and following this bagel chips recipe will totally bring a stale bagel back to life.
Just like regular crisps, these need to be stored in an air tight container as you don't want them taking on other smells or going stale. They will last about 1-2 weeks this way.
Yes, you can. Lay them out on a baking tray in a single layer and then put them in a preheated oven at 170°C/340°F/Gas 3 for 10 minutes until nice and crispy. This is a better method if you are cooking a lot of them, as you don't want to overcrowd them in the air fryer.
Yes, as long as all the seasonings you use are vegan, then this can be vegan. Just make sure your bagels are vegan - which they should be.
• If you are cooking a lot of these in the air fryer, then you may want to cook them in batches to avoid overcrowding.
• It really doesn't matter how you cut these, as any shape is good.
• Try to use bagels that haven't already been pre-sliced in half.
• If you want to warm leftovers again before serving, then put them back in the air fryer for a minute.
More snack recipes
- 2 Bagel
- 2 tablespoon Oil
- Slice the bagels into disks.
- Put the sliced bagels into a bowl. Add the oil and seasoning and mix well, ensuring the bagels are coated evenly.
- Transfer to your air fryer basket and cook for 4 minutes at 180°.
- If you are cooking a lot of these in the air fryer, then you may want to cook them in batches to avoid overcrowding.
- It really doesn't matter how you cut these, as any shape is good.
- Try to use bagels that haven't already been pre-sliced in half.
- If you want to warm leftovers again before serving, then put them back in the air fryer for a minute.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and is calculated using online tools. Information can vary depending on various factors, but we have endeavoured to be as accurate as possible.