Hummus is a delicious snack when paired with some pita bread and crunchy vegetable sticks. Our Butter Bean Hummus is a little twist on a classic hummus recipe that would use chickpeas. Easy to adapt with different flavours, it's ready in minutes and one of our favourite butter bean recipes.
We eat a lot of hummus in our house as it's my favourite snack and the kids love it. However, my husband is allergic to chickpeas, so I have to use a different bean to make hummus for him. This isn't just for people allergic to chickpeas, you might just be looking for new ways to eat butter beans. Still all the classic hummus flavours of tahini, lemon and garlic, but with butter beans.
You can use it as a dip, or you can use it as a spread on a sandwich or even stirred into pasta for something a little different and it goes really well on our Grazing Platter. If you are looking for some more butter bean recipes, then why not try our Butter Bean Soup, Spanish Beans or White Bean Pasta?
Why you will love it
- A twist on hummus - You don't just have to use chickpeas to make hummus, as any white beans work. This butter bean hummus is our favourite though.
- Adaptable - The great thing about hummus is that you can adapt it with different flavours. You can blend roasted red peppers or sun-dried tomatoes in to. Or why not use butter beans in our Roasted Carrot Hummus.
- Stores well - We love making a big batch of this and keeping it in the fridge for easy snacks throughout the week.
How to make butter bean hummus - Step by step
One: Put all of the ingredients into a blender.
Two: Blend until smooth.
Health benefits of butter beans
Butter beans, also known as lima beans, are native to South America and they have been cultivated for at least 9,000 years. Larger than most other beans, butter beans have a creamy and buttery texture when cooked which is where they get their name from.
Butter beans are super nutritious too. They contain both soluble and insoluble fibre, which will help keep you fuller for longer. This is a hearty and filling soup, thanks to the beans. Butter beans are also a great source of vegan fibre, vitamin B9 (folate), iron, potassium, magnesium, calcium and zinc.
What to serve with butter bean hummus
Hummus is the best dip! You can't go wrong with some warm pita bread and crunchy sticks of cucumber, bell pepper and carrots. Why not try our Homemade Flatbread Recipe that is perfect for tearing up and dipping in this. You can also dip our Baked Tortilla Chips into it.
Butter bean hummus is far more than just a dip though. We like spreading it on a sandwich instead of mayo and you can even stir it into warm pasta for a creamy sauce.
Store: This will keep in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Freeze: If you are wondering if you can freeze hummus, then the answer is yes! Plain hummus tends to freeze better than flavoured hummus, but it will still freeze well. You can either put it in a little air tight container and put it in the freezer, or you can put spoonfuls on to baking paper on a tray and then put that in the freezer (flash freeze). Once that is frozen, then you can peel them off the paper and put them in a freezer bag in the freezer. This is great for individual portions.
Defrost: You can defrost it in the fridge overnight. You will need to give it a really good stir before serving.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, this is a vegan recipe.
We used a can, to make it much easier, but you can use dried butter beans that have been soaked and cooked.
Yes, this is gluten free, you just need to make sure that there is no any cross contamination and that whatever you are serving it with is gluten free too.
Yes, you can leave the oil out. Just add a little bit of water to thin it out.
• We added some ras-el-hanout on top of the hummus before serving but sumac or even just a pinch of chilli or paprika will work.
• For a different flavour, stir some pesto into the hummus.
• Make sure you are using a high powered food processor to get the hummus super smooth.
• To make the hummus even lighter, add a couple of tablespoons of the water drained from the beans.
• For a spicy version, add a drizzle of your favourite hot sauce before serving.
More dip recipes
If you’ve tried this butter bean hummus recipe, let us know how you got on in the comments below.
Tag us in your creations on Instagram @hungryhealthyhappy - Use the hashtag #hungryhealthyhappy too.
Butter Bean Hummus
- 235 g (1.25 cups) Butter beans - canned; drained weight
- 2 tablespoon Tahini
- 4 tablespoon oil
- 1 Lemon - juice only
- 1 Garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 pinch Sea salt and black pepper
- Put all of the ingredients into a blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- We added some ras-el-hanout on top of the hummus before serving but sumac or even just a pinch of chilli or paprika will work.
- For a different flavour, stir some pesto into the hummus.
- Make sure you are using a high powered food processor to get the hummus super smooth.
- To make the hummus even lighter, add a couple of tablespoons of the water drained from the beans.
- For a spicy version, add a drizzle of your favourite hot sauce before serving.
I always love having a bowl of hummus in the fridge. My go-to snack with veggies and crackers. This sounds so delicous.
Such a fun twist using butter beans! The flavors in this hummus sound amazing. Definitely a delicious appetizer.
This butter bean hummus version is a genius. I can imagine how creamy the texture must be. I am going to try this recipe soon.
This is such a great twist on hummus! Yum.
Hummus with butter beans sounds delicious. We make pilaf or add butter beans in any vegetable based recipe. Will try this hummus next time, when I am making hummus.
This was my first time making butter bean hummus but it won't be my last! This was so good!
This seems an interesting recipe, something different from the traditional hummus with chickpeas. Thank you! Will give a try soon since I have all ingredients at home :)
Love the idea of using butterbeans for a different flavour and the garnish ideas are great too.
I LOVE hummus. I use it so often that I am always on a hunt for a new recipe. Love it!
This recipe turned out amazing! My partner loved it and asked me to only stick to this recipe from now on! Thank you always for all the wonderful and easy to follow recipes!
I love finding different ways to make our homemade hummus. I haven't seen butter beans before though. I can't wait to try it - and that single-serve freezer idea is SO SMART!! Thank you.
Butter beans give the hummus a unique and delicious flavor. Perfect hummus for snacking.
I have yet to meet a hummus I don't enjoy. Looking forward to trying this new to me version!
I had not thought to make hummus out of butter beans before. I can't wait to give this a try!
I just love making my own homemade hummus! :) I have never tried using butter beans before though.
What if u don't have a blender?
You could mash it with a fork, but hummus really needs to be blended to be smooth.