Egg and Chips is such a British Classic and it is always our go-to for an easy comforting meal. It's all cooked in the oven in one pan for a protein packed lazy dinner. Just 4 ingredients and ready in just 45 minutes, but that's mostly hands off time.
This is a meal that we grew up eating, but we have lightened it up by cooking it in the oven so there is no need to fry anything in extra oil. Crispy chips with perfectly cooked egg with a runny yolk. Perfect for dipping the chips in to. It's a filling and protein packed meal, and really comforting.
If you are looking for some more egg recipes to try, then why not try our Air Fryer Boiled Eggs, Breakfast Egg Muffins, Eggs Baked in Portobello Mushrooms, Shakshuka or Healthy Egg Fried Rice.
Why you will love it
- Easy - This recipe couldn't be easier, as it is all done in one pan. You cook the chips first, and then you crack the eggs around them and put the tray back in the oven until the eggs are cooked.
- Cheap - Eggs and potatoes are two of the most budget friendly ingredients out there. We always think it is worth paying for high welfare eggs, but even they are budget friendly. This is a cheap meal to make.
- Protein packed - Not only is this a cheap meal, but it is filling. Eggs are a great source of protein and it they will help you keep fuller for longer.
- Adaptable - This is a simple meal, but there are a few ways to adapt it with different seasonings and added vegetables. More on that below!
- Potatoes - Any potatoes will work, but some definitely work better than others. We try to use a floury potato like a King Edward or Maris Piper, as they have produced the best results for us.
- Oil - We used olive oil, as we love the flavour. However, you could use sunflower or vegetable oil.
- Eggs - Use the best quality and high welfare eggs you can. We like to use ones with a golden yolk, as they look much nicer.
- Seasoning - We kept it simple with some sea salt and black pepper, but we have given some flavour options below.
A full ingredients list with measurements is in the recipe card below.
Step by step
One: Preheat your oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas 6. Wash the potatoes and pat dry. Cut them in to chips and put them on a large baking tray. Add the oil and seasoning. Mix well and put them in the oven for 35-40 minutes (shaking half way through) until the chips are starting to get crispy.
Two: Make 4 spaces in the chips and then crack the eggs in to the space. Put them back in the oven for 4-5 minutes, depending on how you liked your eggs cooked. For really runny eggs, cook them for 3 minutes.
Eggs are delicious and nutritious, not to mention a great budget friendly ingredient for making versatile meals. They are a great source of protein, Omega-3s and "good" cholesterol. They are a good source of vitamin B12, B6, vitamin D, selenium, and other important minerals!
Potatoes get a bad reputation, but when cooked the right way, they are healthy. They are low in fat, sodium and cholesterol, they have nearly half of your daily vitamin C and they are a great source of potassium - even more than a banana. They are full of fibre and magnesium, and they are filling too. On top of this, they are also suitable for almost any diet, from vegan to gluten free. I am not sure what more you could want?
This is a deliciously simple recipe, and that is what we love about it. However, there are a few ways that you can adapt it:
Potatoes - We used white potatoes, as we think they make the best crispy chips. However, you could use sweet potatoes instead. They won't get as crispy, and they won't need as long to cook, but they have lots of flavour and nutritional benefits.
Whilst we love homemade chips, because they get perfectly crispy, we are also a big fan of frozen chips! There are so many great quality ones out there
Seasoning - We kept it simple with salt and pepper, but there are lots of options when it comes to seasoning. You could add a pinch of paprika for some smokiness or some cayenne for spice. You could also add some curry powder, or even a Cajun or Mexican seasoning mixture.
Vegetables - We love anything that you can give a vegetable boost to and you can easily do that with this. Dice some bell peppers, onion and courgette and roast it at the same time as the potatoes. You could also add some tomatoes on the vine at the same time as the egg to roast them.
Meat - This recipe isn't missing any meat, however if you wanted to then you could cook some sausages at the same time as the chips. Or you could serve it with some cooked ham.
What to serve with Egg and Chips
This isn't a fancy meal, so there is no need to get fancy with the side dishes either. We like to keep it simple with some bread and butter, which is what I grew up eating it with. Why not try making our Easy White Loaf and serving it with egg and chips. If you want to get a little fancy, then make some of our Cheesy Garlic Bread to go with this.
Baked beans are always a delicious addition to egg and chips. If you want to make your own, then why not try making our Slow Cooker Baked Beans. If you want something a bit fresher, then serve it with our Little Gem Salad.
You have got to have sauce with your chips too, right? Try our Healthy Tomato Ketchup, Homemade BBQ Sauce, Kebab Shop Chilli Sauce or Easy Garlic Sauce. We love a good amount of chilli sauce drizzled on it too.
Frequently Asked Questions
Any potatoes will work, but some definitely work better than others. We try to use a floury potato like a King Edward or Maris Piper, as they have produced the best results for us.
You can make the chips in advance and then put them in the oven when you are cooking the eggs to reheat them.
This is best eaten straight after cooking. However, if you have leftovers then you can store them in an air tight container in the fridge for 2 days. You could need to eat it cold though, as it shouldn't be reheated.
No, we wouldn't recommend freezing it.
Yes, this is a delicious gluten free meal.
No, there is no need to peel the potatoes and there is lots of goodness in the skin.
• Make sure you are using a baking tray large enough for the chips. If they are crowded, then the chips will steam rather than bake and get crispy. You also need room for the eggs to go in too.
• Add some extra flavour by using a chilli oil or garlic oil for the chips.
• You could add some fresh flavour with some fresh herbs like rosemary or thyme.
• If you want the recipe to look really nice, then use golden yolk eggs.
More egg recipes
If you’ve tried this egg and chips recipe, then let us know how you got on in the comments below.
Tag us in your creations on Instagram @hungryhealthyhappy - Use the hashtag #hungryhealthyhappy too.
Oven Egg and Chips
- 600 g (1.33 lb) Potato
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 4 Eggs
- 1 pinch Sea salt and black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 200°C/180°C(fan)/400°F/Gas 6.
- Wash 600 g Potato and pat dry. Cut them into chips and put them on a large baking tray. Add 1 tablespoon Olive oil and 1 pinch Sea salt and black pepper. Mix well and put them in the oven for 35-40 minutes (shaking half way through) until the chips are starting to get crispy.
- Make spaces in the chips and then crack 4 Eggs into the space. Put them back in the oven for 4-5 minutes, depending on how you liked your eggs cooked. For really runny eggs, cook them for 3 minutes.
- Make sure you are using a baking tray large enough for the chips. If they are crowded, then the chips will steam rather than bake and get crispy. You also need room for the eggs to go in too.
- Add some extra flavour by using a chilli oil or garlic oil for the chips.
- You could add some fresh flavour with some fresh herbs like rosemary or thyme.
- If you want the recipe to look really nice, then use golden yolk eggs.
Love simple meals like this. This dish is perfect any time of the day.
Oh wow, can i just say how gorgeous it looks, such a pretty looking dish that is easy to put together! Love the pairing suggestions. and i like that cheesy garlic bread!!
Shashi at Savory Spin
Why have I never thought to do this! This is EPIC! I love this easy way to enjoy chips and eggs! Brilliant!
The family really enjoyed how this worked all together. We will make it often!
This is so cozy! The Brits sure know their comfort food. This is absolutely perfect for a chilly day when you want breakfast for dinner. Can't wait to make this again!
This sounds like a great breakfast. Can't wait to try it.
Only 4 ingredients?! Yes, please! This is perfect for my busy weeknights of driving kids around.
I love this method for making breakfast - thank you!
What a great easy recipe and time saver we loved this ones a keep for sure!
What a great idea! Sounds like a great breakfast. I love that it's baked in the oven too for less oil.
This was soooo easy to make! Thank you so much for sharing this! It gave me so much time back from making breakfast and the eggs turned out perfect!
Not only was this good, it was just soooo easy!
I eat eggs almost every day, so I was really excited to have a new way to prepare them -- so good! I just loved dipping the fries in that runny yolk.
I've done plenty of sheet pan dinners but never for breakfast! This is such a great idea! We added some sausage to it and it was the best easy breakfast!