A flavour packed Mexican breakfast recipe that will keep you full right up to lunch. This Huevos Rancheros recipe is an easy and healthy vegetarian breakfast dish that is ready in just 5 minutes.
This isn't necessarily an authentic huevos rancheros recipe, so we have included some non-traditional accompaniments too, including cheese, sour cream and lettuce. This is a protein packed breakfast with a whole lots of flavour.
What is Huevos Rancheros?
Huevos Rancheros translates to "Rancher's Eggs" and is a traditional Mexican breakfast. The basic dish consists of fried eggs served on lightly fried or charred tortillas, topped with a tomato salsa. Common accompaniments are refried beans, rice, guacamole or sliced avocado.
Why you will love it
- Quick - These Mexican eggs are ready in 5 minutes.
- Something different for breakfast - If you are bored of having eggs the same way all the time, then this is something a bit different.
- Low in calories - Less than 300 calories per serving, and really filling.
- Easy to adapt - There are lots of ways to adapt this with different toppings.
- Eggs - Use fresh eggs for best results. We always choose high welfare eggs.
- Tortilla wraps - We use flour tortillas, as they are more flexible. But corn tortillas would still work.
- Refried beans - You could make your own, but we used a really good quality can. You can also use whole cooked black beans instead.
- Salsa - We have provided the recipe for our homemade salsa, however you could save yourself some time and use a good quality store bought one.
- Avocado - Make sure your avocado is ripe (but not too ripe) for the best flavour.
- Cheese - We used mature cheddar, as it has a strong flavour. But you could use Monterey jack instead.
A full ingredients list with measurements is in the recipe card below.
How to make Huevos Rancheros - Step by step
One: Add the oil to a pan and then crack in 2 eggs. Cook for 3 minutes, or until cooked to your liking.
Two: Heat a separate dry pan and heat each tortilla on both sides.
Three: Spread a tablespoon of refried beans on to each tortilla.
Four: Add the egg and then top with salsa.
Five: Add and extra toppings you like.
Here are some suggestions for traditional (and non-traditional), ways to make huevos rancheros:
- Base: Use corn or flour tortillas and warm each one on both sides in a dry frying pan or skillet. You could use our Wholewheat Tortilla Wrap recipe, or even our Easy Flatbreads.
- Beans: Refried beans are the way to go, because they spread easily. You can use store bought or see below for instructions of how to make them.
- Salsa: The choice of salsa varies depending on how spicy you want to start your day. Again, you can use store bought, or use either our Pico de Gallo (mild), Restaurant Style Salsa (medium) or Salsa Picante (hot).
- Eggs: The fresher, the better. Fresh eggs hold together better and they also taste better. With eggs, you do get what you pay for, so make sure you use a good quality, free-range egg. They should be cooked so that the yolk is still runny. You could try our Microwave Fried Eggs too.
- Extras: Add some grated cheddar or crumbled feta. Slices of avocado or some Guacamole always go well. Or maybe even some Spanish Rice.
How to make refried beans
- Cook a finely chopped onion until it has softened.
- Add garlic powder, chilli powder and cumin. Mix well. Add a can of drained pinto beans and 120ml (0.5 cup) of water. Stir and cover. Leave for 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low and remove the lid. Using a potato masher, mash the beans, until you are happy with the consistency. Continue to cook the beans, uncovered for another 3 minutes. Stir regularly.
- Remove from the heat and stir in chopped coriander (cilantro) and juice of a lime.
What to serve this with
This is a nice filling start to your day, so nothing else is really needed. You could of course eat this for lunch (or dinner), so if you want to make it into a larger meal, try some of the following with it:
Huervos Rancheros is such a quick meal to rustle up (providing you have the salsa and beans already made), that you won't need to store it. Once made, it really should be enjoyed immediately.
Huevos rancheros is a healthy meal and a great start to your day. Each portion is less than 300 calories, there is protein from the egg and cheese and healthy fats from the avocado. Using store bought salsa and refried beans will make this less healthy, but by making your own you can keep the calories lower.
The only thing not gluten free in this recipe is the flour tortilla. Simply swap for a corn tortilla and you will have yourself gluten free huevos rancheros.
Traditionally, huevos rancheros is a vegetarian breakfast, but there is nothing to stop you from adding meat if you wanted. Add some chopped bacon, chopped chorizo, shredded chicken or pulled pork to make this into a more filling meal. Not a meat eater? Add some mushrooms, grilled halloumi, tofu or extra beans.
More Mexican recipes
If you’ve tried this huevos rancheros recipe, hen let us know how you got on in the comments below.
Tag us in your creations on Instagram @hungryhealthyhappy - You can use the hashtag #hungryhealthyhappy too.
- Heat 0.5 tablespoon Olive oil in a pan and then crack in 2 Eggs. Cook for 3 minutes, or until cooked to your liking.
- Heat a separate dry pan and heat 2 Tortilla wraps on both sides.
- Spread a tablespoon of 2 tablespoon Refried beans on to each tortilla.
- Add the egg and then top with 4 tablespoon Salsa.
- Add 0.5 Avocado, 20 g Cheese and any extra toppings you like.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and is calculated using online tools. Information can vary depending on various factors, but we have endeavoured to be as accurate as possible.