Got more leftover turkey than you know what to do with? Try something different this year and instead of turkey sandwiches, make this Leftover Turkey Quesadilla recipe. Shredded turkey, an easy homemade BBQ sauce, leftover veggies and some cheese. A really easy snack or lunch, and easy to feed a crowd.
About this turkey quesadilla recipe
A quesadilla is always our go-to quick and easy lunch that can be made with whatever we have in the fridge. An added bonus is that kids love eating and making them.
This is our festive twist on a quesadilla and it's a fun way to use up leftovers. There are lots of ways to adapt these turkey quesadillas, so everyone gets a quesadilla they like.
Ready in just 5 minutes this is a new way to enjoy leftovers and ensures that nothing goes to waste.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Turkey - We used leftover turkey from our Christmas dinner to make this, however you could use up leftover roast chicken or even grill some chicken fresh to put in this. You could use meat from our Roast Turkey Breast or Slow Cooker Turkey Crown.
- BBQ Sauce - This is what makes these turkey quesadillas really special I think. Our Homemade BBQ has a really tangy flavour that goes perfectly. You could use a store bought BBQ sauce if you prefer.
- Tortilla - We used large soft wholemeal tortillas for this. You could make mini ones for kids by using small soft tacos.
- Vegetables - Make the most of those Christmas or Thanksgiving leftovers by chopping up leftover roast vegetables and adding it in.
- Cheese - We used a mature cheddar as it has a strong flavour so you can get away with using less of it.
A full ingredients list with measurements is in the recipe card below.
How to make turkey quesadilla - Step by step
One: Mix the turkey and BBQ sauce together.
Two: Spread on half of each of the tortillas.
Three: Top with chopped vegetables.
Four: Sprinkle with cheese.
Five: Repeat with the second. Fold them over and then put them in a dry pan.
Six: Gently cook for 2 minutes each side and carefully flip.
There are so many options when it comes to these leftovers turkey quesadillas. Keep it simple with the sauce, turkey and cheese, or you can add leftover vegetables like roasted carrot and parsnips and some broccoli too. You can give them a green boost by adding some shredded spinach.
When it comes to cheese, a cheddar is always a good idea, but you could use a mixture of cheeses and then it makes it a good recipe to use the leftovers from a cheese board.
Leftover turkey can sometimes be a little dry, so you need some kind of sauce with it. You have a few options here - you could go for a traditional salsa, or use BBQ sauce like we have. We have used our Healthier Homemade BBQ Sauce too. You could also use a Pizza Sauce.
If you have loads of hummus leftover from Christmas, spread that on the tortillas instead - it gives it a bit of a protein boost too.
Want to make it even MORE festive? Use some cranberry sauce or chutney and put some brie in there too. This is a favourite variation of ours.
We love these turkey quesadillas as a quick and simple lunch, so there is no need to serve them with anything if you want something light. However, if you are making these for a few people, the you might want to serve up some sides. Here are some that so really well:
- Roasted Tenderstem Broccoli
- Hasselback Potatoes
- Celeriac Chips
- Oven Chips
- Garlic Smashed Potatoes
- Grilled Little Gem Salad
- Baked Parsnip Fries
- Parmesan Truffle Fries
- Oven Baked Onion Rings
Frequently asked questions
Because this recipe uses leftover turkey, these should be eaten straight after making and not stored.
You want to use a cheese that melts really well, so we go for a strong cheddar. Using a mature cheddar means that you can use less as it has such a strong flour. You basically want a hard cheese that melts well.
Whilst we love using corn tortilla in Mexican dishes, mainly tacos, they just won't work for quesadillas. You need to use flour tortillas, as they are much more pliable, they won't crack when cooked and they hold the cheese and filling together really well. You can also find flour tortillas in a range of sizes which is a bonus.
Yes, if you use gluten free tortillas and gluten free BBQ sauce, then this recipe can be gluten free.
More leftover turkey recipes
Leftover BBQ Turkey Quesadillas
- 2 Soft flour tortillas
- 100 g (0.5 cups) Shredded turkey
- 4 tablespoon Homemade BBQ sauce
- 40 g (0.33 cups) Cheddar cheese - grated
- 150 g (1 cups) Leftover vegetables - chopped
- Mix 100 g Shredded turkey and 4 tablespoon Homemade BBQ sauce together.
- Spread on half of each of 2 Soft flour tortillas.
- Top with 150 g Leftover vegetables.
- Sprinkle with 40 g Cheddar cheese.
- Fold them over and then put them in a dry pan.
- Gently cook for 2 minutes each side and carefully flip.
- Swap the BBQ sauce for some salsa or cranberry sauce for even more of a festive twist.
- You can use cheddar, or add some other cheeses leftover from the cheeseboard.
- Give these a green veggie boost by adding some shredded spinach.
- Don't have turkey? You can use leftover shredded chicken instead.
- You can also make quesadillas in the air fryer. It will take about 5-6 minutes at 180°C, flipping halfway.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and is calculated using online tools. Information can vary depending on various factors, but we have endeavoured to be as accurate as possible.