A super quick and easy Christmas activity with kids, these Oreo Reindeers are not only a great way to keep kids entertained, but they make delicious budget friendly gifts too.
About these Oreo reindeer
Not only kids do our kids LOVE getting messy making these Oreo reindeer, but they loved wrapping them up and gifting them to friends too. A fun addition to a homemade Christmas hamper or perfect for a Christmas party.
No baking needed here. It's as simple as dipping Oreos into melted chocolate and decorating like a reindeer. You can be as traditional or as wacky as you like here.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Oreos - We recommend using double stuffed Oreos for these reindeer Oreos. This is so you can get the pretzels into them.
- Chocolate - We used a good quality dark chocolate. But milk would work too.
- Decorations - To make them actually look like a reindeer, you need some pretzels, edible eyes and some red noses (we used Smarties).
A full ingredients list with measurements is in the recipe card below.
How to make Oreo Reindeers - Step by step
One: Put the chocolate into a bowl and melt, either in the microwave or on a bain marie.
Two: Carefully push a lollipop stick into an Oreo.
Three: Coat the Oreos in the melted chocolate.
Four: Carefully insert two pretzels into the Oreo.
Five: Add a red Smartie and two edible eyes to each Oreo. Refrigerate for 10-15 minutes.
These reindeer Oreos are so simple to make that there aren't really many ways that you can adapt them.
However, instead of a wooden lolly stick as the holder, you could use a candy cane. You could definitely need to use double stuffed Oreos to fit them in though. You could also use chocolate sticks.
Instead of plain pretzels, you could use chocolate covered ones. You can get chocolate salted caramel ones that are really good.
Store: These will keep in the fridge in an air tight container for a couple of weeks. However, they are best eaten within a few days, as the pretzels will start to go soft.
Gift: These Oreo reindeers make such a lovely and simple homemade gift. Once they are made and set, you can put them in cellophane bags and tie them up with festive ribbon. Add them to a homemade food hamper.
More festive chocolate recipes
- 100 g (3.5 oz) Chocolate
- 6 Oreo cookies
- 12 Pretzels
- 6 Smarties - red
- 12 Edible eyes
- 6 Lollipop sticks
- Put 100 g Chocolate into a bowl and melt, either in the microwave or on a bain marie.
- Carefully push 6 Lollipop sticks into 6 Oreo cookies.
- Coat the Oreos in the melted chocolate.
- Carefully insert 12 Pretzels into the Oreos (two per Oreo).
- Add 6 Smarties and 12 Edible eyes to the Oreos. Refrigerate for 10-15 minutes.
- When melting the chocolate, do it for 30 seconds at a time in the microwave to avoid it seizing.
- Instead of edible eyes, you could use white chocolate chips and put little dots of melted dark chocolate on them to look like eyes.
- You don't have to keep this traditional. You could use white Oreos and dip them in white chocolate and use super colourful decorations.
- For anyone in the US, the Smarties used in this recipe are coloured, sugar coated chocolate beans (similar to M&Ms), not the tablet type candy.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and is calculated using online tools. Information can vary depending on various factors, but we have endeavoured to be as accurate as possible.