Use this Easy Oven Baked Eggs post to learn all the tips and tricks you need to bake eggs in the oven, with minimal effort. An easy to make, and protein packed breakfast or snack that can be made in bulk. All of the same uses as a hard boiled egg, but no need to peel the shell. So simple!
These are so easy to make and they can be eaten hot or cold too. We like to make up a big tray (they are done in a muffin tray) and then use them in meals over the next couple of days, or eat them as snacks. Say goodbye to hard boiled eggs, as this method will change the way you cook eggs.
We hate peeling boiled eggs, and these oven baked eggs takes all the effort out of cooking eggs. Just crack eggs into an oiled muffin tray for a mess free method that is great for feeding a crowd. Brunch, dinner or snacks - there are so many ways to use these eggs baked in the oven.
If you are looking for some other recipes that are baked in the oven, then why not try our Baked Salmon in Foil, Oven Baked Onion Rings, Oven Baked Falafel, or Tomato Baked Risotto.
Why you will love them
- Easy way to cook eggs - Just crack and egg in to a greased muffin tray and put them in the oven. It is that easy!
- Versatile - There are so many different ways to use these oven baked eggs. Perfect for a grab and go snack, or mash it up with some mayo for a sandwich. We have given lots of ideas of ways to use them below.
- Quick - These take less than 15 minutes to make. So although it is longer than a hard boiled eggs, it's all hands off time.
- Delicious - You have all that delicious texture of a hard boiled egg, but no need to cook it in a pan.
- Eggs - These are the star of the dish, so try to make sure that they are the best quality possible. We like to use ones with a golden yolk to make them look great.
- Oil - We used a little bit of olive oil to grease the muffin tin. You could use a spray bottle of oil too.
- Seasoning - We kept it simple with some sea salt and black pepper, however you could add some chilli flakes.
A full ingredients list with measurements is in the recipe card below.
Step by step
One: Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C(fan)/350°F/Gas 4. Spray/grease the muffin tin with oil.
Two: Crack the eggs into the tin and season.
Three: Bake for 12 minutes (or less if you want runny eggs).
Four: Use a knife carefully round the edges of the eggs to pop them out.
What are baked eggs?
Well, they are basically eggs that are baked. They have a similar texture as hard boiled eggs, but it's totally hands off cooking and there is no need to spend ages peeling shells and having half the egg peeled off. They are kind similar to our Egg Muffins, but without any fillings added.
The cooking time in the oven depends on how you like your eggs - runny or hard yolk. We cooked ours for 12 minutes, so the whites are set and the yolks are a little jammy, but not runny. If you want runny yolks, then cook them for 10 minutes - just make sure the whites are cooked. For eggs more like hard boiled, then cook them for around 14 minutes. Basically, the longer you cook them the harder the yolks will be.
Health benefits of eggs
Eggs are delicious and nutritious, not to mention a great budget friendly ingredient for making versatile meals. They are a great source of protein, Omega-3s and "good" cholesterol. They are a good source of vitamin B12, B6, vitamin D, selenium, and other important minerals!
This is a really simple recipe, so there is not much that you can change. You can however change the seasoning that is used, or add some fresh herbs. Here are some of our favourite additions:
- Red chilli flakes
- Fresh chives
- Crispy chilli in oil (seriously - this stuff goes SO well with eggs)
- Fresh parsley
- A pinch of smoked paprika
- Sriracha (I mean, is there anything it doesn't go on?)
- Garam masala
- Sun-dried tomato paste
- Prosciutto (chop it up and put it in the bottom of the muffin tin)
What to serve with oven baked eggs
There is so much that you can do with these oven baked eggs. Basically, anything that you would do with hard boiled eggs. Mash it up with some mayonnaise and it in a sandwich or wrap, or just snack on them. We also love them on Avocado Toast. Here are our favourite side dishes to serve these with:
- Cheesy Garlic Bread
- Garlic Spring Greens
- Easy White Bread
- Hasselback Potatoes
- Celeriac Chips
- Crispy Garlic Smashed Potatoes
- Grilled Little Gem Salad
- Parmesan Truffle Fries
Frequently Asked Questions
We used a 6 hole muffin tin. Use as many eggs as you have muffin holes in your tin.
The cooking times are given as a guide, depending on how you like your eggs cooked. However, it will also depend on the size of the eggs you are using, and also your oven. Some ovens cook hotter and some colder - you will know your oven best. Check the eggs after 10 minutes and then cook them until they are done to your liking. They do change very quickly though, so check through the oven window every 30-60 seconds after the 10 minutes.
Once the eggs are cooled, you can transfer them to an air tight container where they will store for 5 days.
Yes, although you will find eggs with other dairy products, they are actually dairy free.
Yes, eggs are great for creating keto friendly meals and these oven baked eggs are suitable for people on keto diets.
• Make sure you season these eggs really well - it really will make a difference to the flavour. Seeing as this is such a simple recipe, a generous pinch of sea salt and black pepper will be needed.
• Adding fresh herbs will add lots of flavour to the eggs.
• Every oven cooks differently, so keep an eye on the eggs from 10 minutes, until the yolk is cooked to your liking. The eggs will be cooked when the white is set.
More egg recipes
If you’ve tried this oven baked eggs recipe, then let us know how you got on in the comments below.
Tag us in your creations on Instagram @hungryhealthyhappy - Use the hashtag #hungryhealthyhappy too.
Easy Oven Baked Eggs
- 6 Eggs
- 6 sprays Spray oil
- Sea salt and black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C(fan)/350°F/Gas 4. Spray/grease the muffin tin with oil.
- Crack the eggs into the tin and season.
- Bake for 12 minutes (or less if you want runny eggs).
- Use a knife carefully round the edges of the eggs to pop them out.
- Make sure you season these eggs really well - it really will make a difference to the flavour. Seeing as this is such a simple recipe, a generous pinch of sea salt and black pepper will be needed.
- Adding fresh herbs will add lots of flavour to the eggs.
- Every oven cooks differently, so keep an eye on the eggs from 10 minutes, until the yolk is cooked to your liking. The eggs will be cooked when the white is set.
I have never made oven baked eggs before and am intrigued. I can't wait to try this!
Such a perfect family breakfast. Lovely idea to use the oven. I'm going to make these eggs tomorrow.
Shashi at Savory Spin
Danii - these look so good! I cannot wait to give this recipe a try! Perfect for breakfast around the busy holiday season!
The recipe was super yummy. I will make it again, it instantly became a family favorite! Thank you!
Super easy to make and come out perfect every time. Great on a good piece of brioche toast.
I made these for breakfast and they turned out great. So much easier than fried eggs!
Made these and enjoyed on top of some toast with smashed avocado - what a great breakfast!
I had a brunch last week and made these. Everyone loved them. First thing off the table they were so delicious
What a great idea! Love how neat and easy this is. My new favorite way to make eggs. Thanks so much for sharing!