Hummus is one of those delicious things in life that you can do so much with. Dip carrot sticks in it, put it on a burger, eat it with a spoon, or use it as the main ingredient in a sandwich. It adds such a creamy texture to a sandwich, with plenty of healthy fats. Add lots of veg and this is the Ultimate Hummus Sandwich.
Posting a recipe for a sandwich kind of feels like posting a recipe for toast. It is pretty self explanatory - you make a sandwich by putting all the filling in between two pieces of bread. But, I think sometimes we can all get in a bit of a sandwich rut and run out of ideas of what to use as filling.
When we have a pot of hummus that needs using up (that isn't usually an issue), we make an epic hummus sandwich. Stacked up high and bursting with vegetables. It's a real pick-me-up and nice and quick to make too.
The great thing about hummus, apart from how good it tastes, is that there are so many different flavours out there. Keep it plain, or get adventurous. If you are short on time, use a good quality store bought hummus, or you could make your own. Have you tried our Roasted Carrot Hummus?
Why you will love it
- Under 500 calories per sandwich
- Packed full of vegetables
- Easily adaptable
- Great as a take to work lunch
- Sourdough bread
- Rocket lettuce (arugula)
A full ingredients list with measurements is in the recipe card below.
How to make it
One: Spread the hummus on to one slice of bread and the chutney on to the other.
Two: Pile all of the rest of the ingredients on to the hummus slice of bread and then top with the other slice and serve.
Hummus is the ultimate vegan sandwich filling. I mean, who just wants a lettuce sandwich? You could make this even more filling by adding some falafel to it, and still keeping it vegan.
Is it healthy?
Why is it the ultimate hummus sandwich? Look at it! It is overflowing with goodness and deliciousness. A sandwich doesn't need cheese and mayo to be tasty, which is why we left it out of this one. It makes it healthier too.
Instead, we added as much salad and vegetables as we could and it made for some messy eating, but totally worth it. Maybe wear a bib when eating it though.
We then took this sandwich to the next level by spreading a thin layer of chutney on the bread. We used a local Yorkshire chutney, but you could use any of your favourites. It adds some nice extra texture.
Other filling to add
Actually, what would make this sandwich even more of the ultimate hummus sandwich would be to add some avocado. Doesn't avocado make everything better? But I had run out. Which almost NEVER happens. That just means that I have to make this again very soon. Maybe some sun-dried tomatoes too. So many options.
• Take this sandwich to the next level by adding a spoonful of your favourite chutney.
• Want to make this even more epic? Add some slices of avocado and sun-dried tomato.
• Try making your own hummus and making different flavours like roasted red pepper or roasted butternut squash.
• Feel free to add any shredded vegetables or salad that you have that needs using up.
More sandwich recipes
Ultimate Hummus Sandwich
- 2 slices Sourdough bread
- 2 tablespoon Hummus
- 1 tablespoon Chutney
- 4 Olives - chopped
- 1 Tomato - sliced
- 0.25 Cucumber - sliced
- 0.5 Carrot - grated
- 20 g (1 cups) Rocket (arugula)
- Spread the hummus on to one slice of bread and the chutney on to the other.
- Pile all of the rest of the ingredients on to the hummus slice of bread and then top with the other slice and serve.
- Take this sandwich to the next level by adding a spoonful of your favourite chutney.
- Want to make this even more epic? Add some slices of avocado and sun-dried tomato.
- Try making your own hummus and making different flavours like roasted red pepper or roasted butternut squash.
- Feel free to add any shredded vegetables or salad that you have that needs using up.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and is calculated using online tools. Information can vary depending on various factors, but we have endeavoured to be as accurate as possible.