An Indian takeaway classic, but cooked in the air fryer to make it quicker and lighter. This Air Fryer Chicken Tikka is perfectly cooked chunks of chicken seasoned in tikka spice and served with dips and naan bread for an easy dinner that is ready in under 15 minutes. A great starter for an Indian themed dinner party too.
One of our goals for this year was to order less takeaway in a bid to save money, and be a little bit healthier. It's so much easier to stick to that goal when we make our own healthier alternatives to our favourite takeaways and this Chicken Tikka is made a couple of times a month.
Mouth watering juicy chicken in a mild tikka seasoning with some peppers and onions. It's a really easy dish to put together and there are lots of different ways you can serve it too.
If you are looking for more air fryer chicken recipes, why not try our Air Fryer Stuffed Chicken, Air Fryer Popcorn Chicken, Air Fryer Whole Chicken, Air Fryer Chicken Breast or Air Fryer Chicken Nuggets.
Why you will love it
- Quick - Ready in under 15 minutes, which is quicker than ordering takeaway.
- Cheaper than takeaway - If you want to save some money, then cutting back on takeaway is a good place to start. This is a delicious homemade alternative.
- Low in calorie - Less than 300 calories per portion.
- Low carb and gluten free - A lighter alternative.
- Chicken breast - You can use chicken breasts or boneless and skinless chicken thighs for this popcorn chicken. We used chicken breast to keep it leaner. Make sure to cut them into even pieces so they cook at the same rate.
- Onion - We used a brown onion, but you could use a red onion too.
- Bell peppers - Any colour goes here, but we like adding red pepper because it is sweet.
- Oil - A good quality olive oil.
- Tikka seasoning - To save time, use a good quality store bought one. However, you could make your own and then you can adjust the spice levels.
A full ingredients list with measurements is in the recipe card below.
How to make Air Fryer Chicken Tikka - Step by step
One: Add the peppers, onion, chicken, tikka seasoning and olive oil to the air fryer.
Two: Cook at 200°C for 12 minutes. It will be cooked to a gorgeous golden brown.
Three: Serve with dipping sauce and naan bread.
This is a really simple recipe, which is what we love about it, so there isn't too much that you can change. However, if you wanted to adjust the spice level of this air fryer chicken tikka, then feel free to add in some chilli powder to your tikka seasoning.
You can also add extra vegetables if you wanted. They will need to be quick cooking vegetables like courgette, aubergine and mushrooms.
For extra flavour, you could marinate the chicken in some yoghurt with the seasoning blend too. This helps to make the chicken really tender.
For a vegetarian version of this, you can swap the chicken for paneer. Try our Paneer Tikka recipe.
What to serve with Air Fryer Chicken Tikka
We think this makes a great starter, side dish or light lunch as it's so quick and easy. We served it with some naan bread, an easy homemade cucumber raita (mint yogurt) some cucumber tomato salad and a small bowl of mango chutney.
You could use our Easy Homemade Flatbreads or Peshwari Naan too. If you don't want to serve it with bread, then try our Oven Baked Rice, Turmeric Rice or Microwave Rice.
Any leftovers can be stored in an air tight container in the fridge for up to 2 days.
You can freeze this chicken, however it will be a little dry once defrosted and reheated. It's so simple to cook in the air fryer, that it's best to just eat it from fresh.
As long as you use a gluten free seasoning mix and make sure there is no cross contamination, then this ca be gluten free.
This dish cooks in the air fryer for around 12 minutes, but the exact cooking time will depend on your air fryer. The best way to ensure that it is cooked through is to use a meat thermometer. Chicken is cooked when it has an internal temperature of 75°C/167°F at the thickest part of the meat.
This was cooked in our old air fryer, which was a Actifry and has a paddle attachment to it. However, we have also cook it in our new air fryer which has a basket and it works just as well.
• Not a fan of Indian spices? You could use Mexican, or even a mild Italian season blend instead.
• Make this in to a more filling meal by serving it with some rice as well as naan, dip and salad.
• Like things on the spicier side? Add an extra teaspoon of chilli powder to the tikka seasoning.
• You can make air fryer chicken tikka in advance by marinating the chicken and then keeping it in the fridge until you are ready to serve.
• Don't overcrowd the air fryer and try to keep everything in a single layer to allow the air to circulate and the chicken to get nice and crispy. If you have a small air fryer, then you can cook it in batches.
• Make sure the chicken is cut to the same size to ensure that it all cooks evenly.
More Indian recipes
If you’ve tried this air fryer chicken tikka, let us know how you got on in the comments below.
Tag us in your creations on Instagram @hungryhealthyhappy - Use the hashtag #hungryhealthyhappy too.
Air Fryer Chicken Tikka
- 300 g (10 oz) Chicken breast - cut into chunks
- 2 Bell peppers - red and green; diced
- 1 Onion - sliced
- 3 tablespoon Tikka seasoning
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- Add the peppers, onion, chicken, tikka seasoning and olive oil to the air fryer.
- Cook at 200°C for 12 minutes. It will be cooked to a gorgeous golden brown.
- Not a fan of Indian spices? You could use Mexican, or even a mild Italian season blend instead.
- Make this in to a more filling meal by serving it with some rice as well as naan, dip and salad.
- Like things on the spicier side? Add an extra teaspoon of chilli powder to the tikka seasoning.
- You can make air fryer chicken tikka in advance by marinating the chicken and then keeping it in the fridge until you are ready to serve.
- Don't overcrowd the air fryer and try to keep everything in a single layer to allow the air to circulate and the chicken to get nice and crispy. If you have a small air fryer, then you can cook it in batches.
- Make sure the chicken is cut to the same size to ensure that it all cooks evenly.
Incomplete recipe! What’s the tikka seasoning made of. It’s comical the recipe ratings when no one knows the seasoning!
Hello! We use Schwartz tikka curry powder seasoning (found with the herbs and spices in the supermarket). That's why there is no recipe for the seasoning, because it's a standard store bought seasoning mix. It is made up of ginger, cardamom, ground coriander, cinnamon, cumin, turmeric, cayenne and cloves. We use a ready made one to save time, however you can always make your own.
This looks great
Great recipes. Can you please tell me if I can still cook this in my actifry as I don't have a setting 6 on mine.( TEFAL ActiFry Express XL AH950840 Air Fryer - Black / 1.7kg)
Yes, you can still cook it in your ActiFry. Refer to your user manual, and find the setting for chicken breast and use that. It will need to cook for about 20 minutes.
It looks very yummy.
Thanks for sharing such a delicious recipe with us.
What a great idea to make chicken tikka in the air fryer. It looks delicious!
This is super flavorful and I love that it's made in the air fryer! Great recipe that I'll be making again and again!
wow, you have convinced me that I need an airfryer! I love how you don't have to use much oil and that chicken looks perfectly cooked!
Wow this chicken tikka looks so delicious and so simple to make with the Tefal Actifry, I really need to get me one, dinner sounds much easier to make and no more silly overload of washing pots and pans!
And I meant to rate the recipe too, well done!
Yum, what a great recipe. I love that this is done in the air fryer and it is a bit of a healthier version. I look forward to giving it a go!
Wow that looks amazing!. I have often wondered what to make in the air fryer other than fries and this looks so tasty and doable. I can do this :) This recipe looks like a winner.
A dinner ready in 30 minutes is the perfect dinner to me! :) Will be trying soon.
I love that you can make this at home! No reason to miss out anymore while staying on budget. It looks amazing.
what an awesome recipe. i haven't gotten an air fryer yet, but def need to. i love the flavors of tikka masala, and really want to make this!
Annie @ Annie's Noms
I love how easy this is! It looks so delicious and I love my air fryer so much, it barely goes away these days! Chicken always turns out so great in it, I need to try your version :)
This dish looks so full of flavor and delicious! Love that you used an air fryer for this!
Lauren @ A Nerd Cooks
This chicken looks delicious! I absolutely love Indian spices. And I just got an air fryer for Christmas, too! I'm still in the honeymoon phase with it, for sure. Thank you for for sharing this.
YESSS! I love finding new ways to use my air fryer! I usually use it for side dishes so it's nice to find a main dish idea!