Burrito bowls are all your favourite burrito fillings, loaded in to a bowl for minimal mess. This Beef Burrito bowl is bursting with slow cooked pulled beef (spicy and smoky), zesty and herby rice and a fresh tomato and avocado salsa. Easy to adapt and great for an exciting work lunch when you get bored of sandwiches.
The great thing about beef burrito bowls, is that there is something for everyone. An easy family meals, as everyone can build their own and go heavy on their favourite ingredients and lighter on the ones they don't love. A great way to introduce kids to new flavours. If you already have the slow cooker beef made, then these can be on the table in under 30 minutes.
Why you will love it
- Great for feeding a crowd
- Easy to adapt
- A simple slow cooker meal
- Tender, melt in your mouth beef
- Beef freezes really well
What is a burrito bowl?
A burrito bowl is exactly what it sounds like - all of your favourite burrito fillings served in a bowl, rather than a tortilla. Burrito bowls are typically served over rice, and eaten with a fork.
I don't know about you, but I make a total mess when trying to eat a burrito. This beef burrito bowl takes out the mess and makes it much easier to manage. I just love a bowl loaded up with fresh ingredients too.
- Slow cooker pulled beef - this is where all the flavour comes from. You could use pulled pork instead, or just some slices of steak.
- Cilantro Lime Rice - rice is a good way to bulk out the beef burrito bowl, but it doesn't have to be plain. This flavoured rice is so easy to make, but lovely and fresh and zesty.
- Iceberg lettuce - this adds plenty of crunch to the bowl. You could swap it for another lettuce, or use spinach or kale instead for an iron boost.
- Tomato and avocado salsa - a deliciously fresh addition. Feel free to add your favourite homemade salsa or store bought if you want to save some time.
- Tortilla chips - perfect for scooping everything up. Try our Easy Homemade Baked Tortilla Chips.
A full ingredients list with measurements is in the recipe card below.
Step by Step
One: Cook the slow cooker pulled beef according to the recipe instructions. This will take 4 hours if cooking on high, or 8 hours if cooking on low.
Two: Follow the recipe for our Cilantro Lime Rice.
Three: In a bowl, mix together the tomatoes, avocado, lime, coriander and salt and pepper.
Four: Start building your burrito bowl. Add the rice, shredded beef, lettuce, tomato and avocado salsa and then top with some radish, tortilla chips and extra cilantro.
How to build a burrito bowl
You can fill a burrito bowl with pretty much anything you like! Here are some suggestions to get you started:
- Protein (chicken, steak, shredded beef, fish, tofu, grilled halloumi) - for this recipe, we used slow cooker shredded beef.
- Rice or quinoa - for this recipe, we used our Cilantro (coriander) rice, but if you want to low carb option, you could use cauliflower rice.
- Shredded lettuce - We like using Romaine or little gem as it is a nice, crunchy lettuce, but you could use any lettuce.
- Beans - add some extra protein with some black beans, pinto beans or chickpeas.
- Corn - We didn't use corn here, but simple canned corn works really well. Drain fully first.
- Tomatoes - some kind of salsa is a must in a burrito bowl. We did a simple chopped tomatoes and avocado with coriander and lime juice, but you could make a Pico De Gallo or Restaurant Style Salsa. Fancy something different? Try our Pineapple Salsa.
- Avocado - We used avocado in the salsa, but you could use our amazing Guacamole Recipe.
- Cheese - If you can source some traditional Mexican Queso Fresco, that will work perfectly. Outside of Mexico and parts of the US, however, Queso Fresco is hard to come by, so a good substitute would be a mild feta or even ricotta.
- Sauce - If you like your meals really spicy, then make some of our tongue tingling Jalapeno Sauce to drizzle over it. It's got a serious kick!
- Sour Cream - If you wanted something lighter than sour cream, then a nice thick 0% Greek yogurt or reduce fat creme fraiche would work well.
The shredded beef really is the star of these tacos. Chunks of braising steak in a simple smoky and spicy chipotle sauce, slow cooked to perfection. This dump and leave slow cooker recipe makes tender, melt in your mouth beef that is perfect on tacos.
If you have any of the beef left over, then it is great in a burrito, in a roll with slaw or just served on top of Cilantro and Lime Rice for a simple meal.
Can it be made in advance?
It's best to plate these tacos up fresh and eat them straight away. However, there are some things you can do in advance. As the beef if slow cooked, that can be done 8 hours in advance. The shredded beef is a really forgiving recipe too, so once the 8 hours (or 4 if cooking on high) is up, it doesn't matter if you leave it in the for 30 minutes to an hour longer, as you really can't ruin it.
You could also make up the slaw and tomato and avocado salsa in advance and then keep them in the fridge. Then when you are ready to eat, you can make the tacos up fresh.
If you already have the shredded beef cooked, then these burrito bowls can be on the table in just 10 minutes.
It definitely is. It includes a good mix of protein, carbs and healthy fats. You could make it lower in carbs by swapping the rice for Cauliflower Rice, or just serving it on top of shredded lettuce.
These bowls will keep well in the fridge for up to 4 days.
To store, it is recommend putting the lettuce and avocado in a separate container than the rest of the ingredients. That way, the beef can be reheated (if desired) in the microwave, and then you can make up the full bowl afterwards.
• Any leftovers of the beef are delicious in a burrito or tacos, or just in a big bread roll with some slaw.
• These beef burrito bowls are a great pack up and go lunch to take to work.
• You could swap the white rice for brown rice in these beef burrito bowls.
• There are no real rules - think of a burrito filling and just put it all in a bowl!
More beef recipes
If you’ve tried this burrito bowl recipe, let us know how you got on in the comments below.
Tag us in your creations on Instagram @hungryhealthyhappy - Use the hashtag #hungryhealthyhappy too.
Beef Burrito Bowl
- 2 portion Slow Cooker Pulled Beef
- 2 portion Cilantro Lime Rice
- 150 g Iceberg lettuce - shredded
- 4 plum tomatoes - diced
- 1 Avocado - diced
- 10 g Fresh coriander (cilantro) - finely chopped
- 1 Lime - juice only
- 2 Radishes - sliced
- Tortilla chips - (optional)
- Cook the slow cooker pulled beef according to the recipe instructions. This will take 4 hours if cooking on high, or 8 hours if cooking on low.
- Follow the recipe for our Cilantro Lime Rice.
- In a bowl, mix together the tomatoes, avocado, lime, coriander and salt and pepper.
- Start building your burrito bowl. Add the rice, shredded beef, lettuce, tomato and avocado salsa and then top with some radish, tortilla chips and extra cilantro.
- Any leftovers of the beef are delicious in a burrito or tacos, or just in a big bread roll with some slaw.
- These burrito bowls are a great pack up and go lunch to take to work.
- If you are not a fan of beef, why not try our Chicken Burrito Bowl recipe.
- You could swap the white rice for brown rice.
- There are no real rules - think of a burrito filling and just put it all in a bowl!
I love a bowl, and your post was so inspiring! Thanks for sharing and for solving my dinner conundrum!
This burrito bowl looks so tasty and I can hear the crunch of the corn chips through my screen, yum!! Can't wait to try this.
Delicious, the whole family enjoyed this!
I love how easy and delicious these are! Perfect for the whole family :)
This makes for such a delicious meal - full of flavour, and so attractive to the eye as well. We love colourful dishes!
A huge hit the the whole family. Tasty and so easy to make!
My family really loved it! Such a huge hit at my house!
Bintu | Recipes From A Pantry
I love a burrito bowl and this one looks so good and packed full of flavour.
I love burrito bowls. This looks so fresh and healthy too!
So many great flavors in one bowl! I love this recipe.
My family loves this kind of meal. Everyone can make it the way they want it. A total hit at my house!
Love burrito bowl and looks so delicious can't wait to make my own at home
Made this last night and it was a huge hit! will definitely make again!
All the flavors I love in a healthy easy-to make and easy-to-eat dish. SO good!
I love that I can get all the flavors of a beef burrito without all the mess! We love these!
This Beef Burrito bowl is bursting with flavours, served along with herby rice and a fresh tomato and avocado salsa is an easy to make and great option for lunch.
Sounds so interesting.
This looks so delicious and tasty! My husband is going to love this recipe! Can't wait to make this!