Delicious tender bites of chicken and chorizo that are loaded with all the flavours of the Mediterranean. This Slow Cooker Spanish Chicken has a slightly salty and smoky tomato sauce, and it makes delicious comfort food.
We are firm believers that slow cooker food can be fresh and vibrant and it doesn't have to be all heavy stews. This slow cooker chicken and chorizo is loaded with veggies, light and fresh, but still really comforting, making it the perfect slow cooker dish for summer.
Minimal prep time too - just a little bit of prep to brown the chorizo and chicken (totally worth this step, but not essential) and you have a delicious protein packed meal.
Full of all your favourite Mediterranean flavours like chorizo, olives, paprika and peppers, this Spanish chicken really is a taste sensation. Easy enough for a weeknight meal, but also impressive enough to serve up at a dinner party.
If you are looking for more slow cooker chicken recipes, why not try our comforting Slow Cooker Chicken Casserole, creamy Slow Cooker Chicken Korma, delicious Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala or our spicy Slow Cooker Chicken Fajitas.
- Chorizo - You want to buy the long ring type chorizo and cut it into chunks, as the slices of sandwich type chorizo wouldn't work in this recipe.
- Chicken breast - We used chunks of chicken breasts, however you could use chicken thighs or legs instead which would make it juicier. Just be aware that cooking times could vary.
- Onion - We used red onion, however you could use a regular white onion or even some chopped shallots to make it a little sweeter.
- Peppers - You could roast your own peppers, but we used a jar to save some time. You could use chopped red bell pepper instead, but it wouldn't have the same intense flavour.
- Garlic - Freshly crushed is best, but you could used ready crushed garlic to save some time.
- Olives - Make sure to use pitted olives to make it easier to eat. We used a mixture of green, black and kalamata, however any would work.
- Vegetable stock - If you are making this for younger kids, then use a reduced salt stock.
- Plum tomatoes - This makes up most of the sauce, so try to use the best quality canned tomatoes you can, as the cheaper ones tend to be really thin.
- Cannellini beans - An easy way to give a protein boost to this. You could swap them for chickpeas or another canned white bean.
- Paprika - The ultimate Spanish flavour. Use smoked paprika for the best flavour.
- Thyme - Dried, not fresh.
- Tomato puree - This helps to give a more intense tomato flavour, and also thicken the sauce.
- White wine (optional) - This adds a lovely richness to the Spanish chicken in the slow cooker, but is optional. Just add some extra stock if you are not using wine. You could use red wine too.
- Olive oil - A good quality extra virgin olive oil.
A full ingredients list with measurements is in the recipe card below.
How to make slow cooker Spanish chicken - Step by step
One: Heat the oil in a pan over a medium heat. Add the chicken and chorizo and cook until browned.
Two: Add the cooked chicken and chorizo to your slow cooker.
Three: Put all of the chopped vegetables to the slow cooker.
Four: Add the rest of the ingredients.
Five: Mix well and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6 hours.
Six: Serve with rice or mashed potatoes.
We added some celery, onion, bell pepper and roasted red pepper to keep it nice and simple, however you could add many different vegetables.
Sometimes we stir in some frozen peas and jarred artichokes about 20 minutes before serving and that adds a pop of colour and green beans work well too. Adding spinach 30 minutes before it's finished is an easy way to give a green veggie boost too.
For some extra Mediterranean flavour in this slow cooker Spanish chicken, add some diced sun-dried tomatoes or a little sun-dried tomato pesto.
What to serve with slow cooker Spanish chicken
You can serve this chicken and chorizo stew with any kind of grain, like rice or cous cous, or with mashed potato. We have also used leftovers on nachos before, and I would definitely recommend that. But what really gives this an extra Spanish vibe is serving it with some roasted paprika potatoes.
You could always add a few chopped up new potatoes to the slow cooker at the same time as everything else and just eat it like that, rather than having to serve it with anything.
Sometimes we just have a big bowl and then use some chunks of crusty baguette to scoop everything up. It all gets a bit messy, but it's total comfort food.
Leftover of this Spanish chicken go really well on top of an Air Fryer Jacket Potato.
If you don't have a slow cooker, then you could bake this in the oven instead. Simply swap the tinned tomatoes for some cherry tomatoes and cook at 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6 for 50 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
This is a great meal to batch cook and freeze. Once cooled and portioned out, you can keep it in the freezer for 2-3 months. Make sure it is fully defrosted and then add it to a pan with a little oil and gently heat until warmed through.
Cooled and stored in an air tight container, leftovers will keep for up to 3 days.
Yes, if you skip the browning stage. Mix all the ingredients together in the slow cooker the night before and put the lid on the slow cooker bowl and put it in the fridge until the morning.
More slow cooker chicken recipes
Slow Cooker Spanish Chicken
- 100 g (3.5 oz) Chorizo - sliced
- 800 g (1.75 lb) Chicken breast - chopped into chunks
- 1 (1) Onion - diced
- 1 Red bell pepper - diced
- 1 (1) Yellow bell pepper - diced
- 3 Garlic clove - crushed
- 70 g (0.5 cups) Olives - halved
- 100 ml (0.5 cups) Vegetable stock
- 400 g (14 oz) Peeled plum tomatoes - canned
- 240 g (1.33 cups) Cannellini beans - (drained weight)
- 2 teaspoon (2 teaspoon) Paprika
- 2 teaspoon Thyme
- 2 tablespoon (2 tablespoon) Tomato puree
- 100 ml (0.5 cups) White wine - (optional; if not using, add more stock)
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- Heat 1 tablespoon Olive oil in a pan over a medium heat. Add 800 g Chicken breast and 100 g Chorizo and cook until browned.100 g Chorizo, 1 tablespoon Olive oil, 800 g Chicken breast
- Add the cooked chicken and chorizo to your slow cooker.
- Put 1 Onion, 1 Red bell pepper, 1 Yellow bell pepper, 3 Garlic clove and 70 g Olives into the slow cooker.1 Onion, 1 Red bell pepper, 1 Yellow bell pepper, 70 g Olives
- Add 100 ml Vegetable stock, 400 g Peeled plum tomatoes, 240 g Cannellini beans, 2 teaspoon Paprika, 2 teaspoon Thyme, 2 tablespoon Tomato puree and 100 ml White wine (if using).3 Garlic clove, 100 ml Vegetable stock, 400 g Peeled plum tomatoes, 240 g Cannellini beans, 2 teaspoon Paprika, 2 teaspoon Thyme, 2 tablespoon Tomato puree, 100 ml White wine
- Mix well and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6 hours.
- You don't have to brown the chicken and chorizo, but we like the extra crispiness that it gives. You can just dump all the ingredients in the slow cooker and cook though.
- Add some extra protein to this dish with a can of drained chickpeas.
- A little bit of feta is great on top of this, as it adds some extra saltiness.
- Serve with any kind of grain or some mashed potato. The leftovers are delicious on a crispy baked potato too.
- This should be finished cooked after 4 hours on high or 6 hours on low, however always use a meat thermometer to check that the internal temperature of the meat is 74°C/165°F or higher. The dish is ready to serve when the chicken is done.
The nutritional information provided is approximate and is calculated using online tools. Information can vary depending on various factors, but we have endeavoured to be as accurate as possible.