This is a really simple, but flavour packed slow cooker recipe. Delicious tender bites of chicken that are loaded with all the flavours of the Mediterranean. This Slow Cooker Spanish Chicken has a slightly salty and smoky tomato sauce, and it makes delicious comfort food.
We are firm believers that slow cooker food can be fresh and vibrant and it doesn't have to be all heavy stews. This dish is loaded with veggies, light and fresh, but still really comforting.
Full of all your favourite Mediterranean flavours like chorizo, olives, paprika and peppers, this dish really is a taste sensation. Easy enough for a weeknight meal, but also impressive enough to serve up at a dinner party.
Why you will love it
- Just 450 calories a portion
- A new way to cook with chicken
- Very little prep required
- Lots of different ways to serve it
- Freezes well
Think of those delicious chicken and chorizo dishes that you love at tapas restaurants, well this is all of those flavours but in a simple slow cooker dish. Just a little bit of prep to brown the chorizo and chicken (totally worth this step, but not essential) and you have a delicious protein packed meal.
Step by step
One: Heat the oil in a pan over a medium heat. Add the chicken and chorizo and cook until browned.
Two: Prepare the vegetables.
Three: Add the cooked chicken and chorizo to your slow cooker.
Four: Put all of the chopped vegetables to the slow cooker.
Five: Add the rest of the ingredients.
Six: Mix well and cook on low for 6 hours.
What vegetables can be added?
We added some celery, onion, bell pepper and roasted red pepper to keep it nice and simple, however you could add many different vegetables.
Sometimes we stir in some frozen peas and jarred artichokes about 20 minutes before serving and that adds a pot of colour.
What goes into this?
Chicken - We used chunks of chicken breasts, however you could use chicken thighs or legs instead. Just be aware that cooking times could vary.
Chorizo - You want to buy the long ring type chorizo and cut it in to chunks, as the slices of sandwich type chorizo wouldn't work in this recipe.
Onion - We used red onion, however you could use a regular white onion or even some chopped shallots to make it a little sweeter.
Olives - Make sure to use pitted olives to make it easier to eat. We used a mixture of green, black and kalamata, however any would work.
Roasted Red Peppers - You could roast your own, but we used a jar to save some time. You could use chopped red bell pepper instead, but it wouldn't have the same intense flavour.
Herbs and Spices - We made our own Spanish blend, however you could buy a packet mix to save some time.
What to serve with it
You can serve it with any kind of grain, like rice or cous cous, or with mashed potato. We have also used leftovers on nachos before, and I would definitely recommend that. But what really gives this an extra Spanish vibe is serving it with some roasted paprika potatoes.
You could always add a few chopped up new potatoes to the slow cooker at the same time as everything else and just eat it like that, rather than having to serve it with anything.
Sometimes we just have a big bowl and then use some chunks of crusty baguette to scoop everything up. It all gets a bit messy, but it's total comfort food.
If you don't have a slow cooker, then you could bake this in the oven instead. Simply swap the tinned tomatoes for some cherry tomatoes and cook at 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6 for 50 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
This is a great meal to batch cook and freeze. It will keep in the fridge for around 2 days, or you can portion it out and keep it in the freezer for 2-3 months. Make sure it is fully defrosted and then add it to a pan with a little oil and gently heat until warmed through.
• Add some extra protein to this dish with a can of drained chickpeas.
• A little bit of feta is great on top of this, as it adds some extra saltiness.
• Serve with any kind of grain or some mashed potato. The leftovers are delicious on a crispy baked potato too.
More chicken recipes
Slow Cooker Spanish Chicken
- 100 g Chorizo - sliced
- 800 g Chicken breast - chopped into chunks
- 1 Onion - diced
- 1 Red bell pepper - diced
- 1 Yellow bell pepper - diced
- 3 Garlic clove - crushed
- 70 g Olives - halved
- 100 ml Vegetable stock
- 400 g Peeled plum tomatoes - canned
- 240 g Cannellini beans - (drained weight)
- 2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoon thyme
- 2 tablespoon Tomato puree
- 100 ml white wine - (optional; if not using, add more stock)
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- Heat the oil in a pan over a medium heat. Add the chicken and chorizo and cook until browned.
- Prepare the vegetables.
- Add the cooked chicken and chorizo to your slow cooker.
- Put all of the chopped vegetables to the slow cooker.
- Add the rest of the ingredients.
- Mix well and cook on low for 6 hours.
- Add some extra protein to this dish with a can of drained chickpeas.
- A little bit of feta is great on top of this, as it adds some extra saltiness.
- Serve with any kind of grain or some mashed potato. The leftovers are delicious on a crispy baked potato too.