If you think that tofu is bland and boring, then you need to make this Teriyaki Tofu Stir-Fry ASAP, so it can change your mind! Crispy, sweet and sticky tofu mixed with delicious chunky vegetables - a quick and easy meal not to be missed. It's ready in under 15 minutes.
This Teriyaki Tofu is cooked in under 10 minutes (with just 5 min prep time), making it the perfect quick and easy week night meal. Save yourself some extra time by prepping all your veg in the morning, then you can just throw it all in the pan when you get home from work.
You can use pretty much any vegetables you want to in this. We usually make this meal when we are having a fridge raid and need to use stuff up, or when we get some reduced vegetables on a food shop. Tenderstem broccoli is non negotiable in my opinion though, as it gives a nice crunch to the dish.
If you like tofu, we've also used it in our 10 Minute Thai Noodle Soup.
Why you will love it
- Ready in just 10 minutes
- A delicious way to try tofu
- Veggie packed
- Easy to adapt
- Tofu pieces - We used pre-marinated tofu.
- Sesame oil - you can use sunflower oil, but sesame adds a really nice flavour.
- Vegetables - We used tenderstem broccoli, baby corn and spring onions (scallions).
- Honey - swap this to maple syrup if you want to keep it vegan.
- Low salt soy sauce - find a gluten free version to make the whole dish GF.
- Ginger, garlic and coriander (cilantro) - The base of the teriyaki sauce.
- Lime - for a nice touch of zestiness.
- Red chilli - Optional. Leave it out if you don't like spicy food or you are serving it to kids.
A full ingredients list with measurements is in the recipe card below.
Step by step
One: Add the oil to the pan and then add the broccoli, baby corn and spring onions and gently cook for 3 minutes.
Two: Add the tofu pieces to the pan and stir.
Three: Meanwhile, make the teriyaki by mixing together the honey, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, coriander and lime juice.
Four: Add the teriyaki sauce to the pan and gently cook for 4 minutes. Serve with rice or noodles and scatter the red chilli and spring onions on top.
Homemade teriyaki sauce
Sure, you can buy a packet of teriyaki sauce, but did you know it's so easy to make yourself and with ingredients you probably already have in your cupboards.
Just mix together some soy sauce (we like low salt), honey, ginger, garlic, lime and herbs and you have a delicious sticky sauce that can be used in any stir fry. It's also nice on salmon and then grilled.
You could make a big batch of this sauce and it would keep in the fridge for a few days. That way you could have teriyaki every day of the week. Teriyaki salmon, chicken, tofu, vegetables. You name it, you can put this sauce on it!
We also have a full post on how to make a healthy teriyaki sauce.
Not tried tofu before?
Many people are put off eating tofu as they think it's just for hippies and it's difficult to cook with, but that isn't the case at all. You can buy it ready prepared in strips which is what we did for this recipe, or you can buy a cube of it and chop it up yourself.
If you are buying a big block, then make sure you have a tofu press as well and squeeze all the excess liquid out and then the tofu can get nice and crispy.
You can get the tofu even crispier by coating it in cornflour before frying.
What vegetables to add
The great thing about a stir fry is that you can add pretty much any vegetables you like. It's such a great fridge raid meal, and it's really forgiving so you can use vegetables that might start to be a little past their best.
Try to use quicker cooking soft vegetables, as the best thing about this dish is how quick it is to make. We added broccoli and corn, however you could add bell peppers, mushrooms and courgettes. Some really thin cut carrot strips would well and add plenty of crunch.
This really comes down to preference, but I think noodles go really well with this tofu teriyaki because the sauce really clings to the noodles. Plus, noodles are so quick to cook, it keeps this an easy convenient meal.
Tofu is a great addition to a vegan diet, however we have used honey in this dish so it isn't vegan. You can swap the honey for maple syrup to make it vegan, however it won't be quite as sticky.
• We used tofu pieces, but you could buy a block of tofu and cut it up yourself. Just make sure you use a tofu press to squeeze as my liquid out as possible.
• You could use this same recipe with chicken or prawns instead. Cooking time would vary.
• Feel free to use up any vegetables that need using. Bell peppers and mushrooms go well in this too.
More Asian recipes
If you’ve tried this teriyaki tofu recipe, let us know how you got on in the comments below.
Tag us in your creations on Instagram @hungryhealthyhappy - Use the hashtag #hungryhealthyhappy too.
Teriyaki Tofu Stir-Fry
- 150 g (5 oz) Marinated Tofu Pieces
- 2 tablespoon Sesame oil
- 200 g (7 oz) Tenderstem broccoli
- 150 g (5 oz) Baby corn
- 6 Spring onion (Scallion) - sliced
- 2 tablespoon Honey
- 2 tablespoon Low salt soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Fresh ginger - finely grated
- 1 Garlic clove - crushed
- 2 tablespoon Fresh coriander (cilantro) - chopped
- 0.5 Lime - (juice only)
- 1 Red chilli - sliced for serving
- Heat 2 tablespoon Sesame oil in a large pan and then add 200 g Tenderstem broccoli, 150 g Baby corn and 6 Spring onion (Scallion) and gently cook for 3 minutes.
- Add 150 g Marinated Tofu Pieces to the pan and stir.
- Meanwhile, make the teriyaki sauce by mixing together 2 tablespoon Honey, 2 tablespoon Low salt soy sauce, 1 tablespoon Fresh ginger (grated), 1 Garlic clove (crushed), 2 tablespoon Fresh coriander (cilantro) and 0.5 Lime (juice only).
- Add the teriyaki sauce to the pan and gently cook for 4 minutes. Serve with rice or noodles and scatter 1 Red chilli and more spring onions on top.
- We used tofu pieces, but you could buy a block of tofu and cut it up yourself. Just make sure you use a tofu press to squeeze as my liquid out as possible.
- You could use this same recipe with chicken or prawns instead. Cooking time would vary.
- Feel free to use up any vegetables that need using. Bell peppers and mushrooms go well in this too.
Bintu | Recipes From A Pantry
This looks and sounds absolutely incredible! I definitely need to use tofu more - I love the sound of a teriyaki tofu stir fry!
I love to make tofu stir fry quite often! I'm so glad to see you're making your Teriyaki from scratch. It's so easy (even though sometimes I do cheat and use the bottle LOL). Great recipe...pinned!
I've never tried tofu but this looks really good. Love the sound of your homemade teriyaki sauce too!
YES please, this vegetarian is drooling over this! Can't wait to whip this up for my family!
I LOVE cooking with tofu. And I'm all about 10 minute recipes. Great flavors here!
I've got a pack of tofu in the cupboard that I need to use up so this is perfect timing! Thanks for the idea!
Such a colorful, delicious dish! I love that it's vegan and so easy to throw together!
Your process shots are spot on! Great recipe, I love the tofu and teriyaki combination. Delicious looking dish!
I'm always looking for more teriyaki recipes, and I love these ingredients! Can't wait to try it out!
This stir fry looks delicious! I love all of the fresh veggies and colors in this dish. I'll have to add this to our meal plan this week.
I don't usually eat much of tofu as you said because it is bland, but this teriyaki tofu stir fry is definitely a winner!
Next time I'm skipping the takeout and making this stir fry at home instead!
Teriyaki is my favourite sauce, but I have not made it myself before. I thought it would be much harder than this, so I will give it a go. With chicken though, as I'm not a fan of tofu.
Love teriyaki anything, and to have a meatless version is just great. Thanks for sharing the recipe
I just posted a really similar recipe! Love tofu teriyaki!!
Michelle | The Last Food Blog
I'm a new convert to crispy tofu, and like you I'm so glad I gave tofu another go. I love teriyaki so can't wait to try this!
Such a yummy bowl, teriyaki tofu must be awesome, must really give a try at your recipe!