If you're looking for a light and healthy side dish to accompany your meals - this Cucumber Dill Salad is it. A great way to use up lots of cucumbers if you are growing them and this will be a staple at BBQs and picnics this summer. Ready in just 2 minutes and only 70 calories a portion.
Cucumbers might not taste of much by themselves, but this cucumber based dish is full of flavour with the creamy sour cream and fresh dill dressing. An easy to put together side dish that tastes far more indulgent than it is. This cucumber salad will see you all through summer.
Looking for more cucumber recipes? Take a look at our simple Cucumber and Radish Salad, our delicious Asian Cucumber Salad or, for a great curry side dish, our Cucumber Raita.
Why you will love it
- Low in calories - Despite this being a creamy cucumber salad, it only has 70 calories per portion
- Quick - Ready in less than 5 minutes
- Versatile - There are SO many ways that you can serve this cucumber salad with dill, but we think it's great with grilled chicken.
- A good way to use up a glut of cucumbers - If you are growing cucumbers this year, then this is a great way to use them up.
- Cucumber - Try to choose thin cucumbers with small seeds (or even a seedless variety).
- Red onion - You can use white onion if you prefer, or even spring onions (scallions). The red onion adds a nice colour though.
- Fresh dill - Fresh is always best as dried dill just doesn't have the same taste.
- Sour cream - This is the traditional ingredient, but if you want to save some calories you can use a low fat or fat free Greek yogurt.
- Lemon juice - This adds a nice bit of acidity to the dish. You can leave it out if you like or use an apple cider vinegar for a more sour taste.
A full ingredients list with measurements is in the recipe card below.
How to make Cucumber Dill Salad - Step by step
One: Slice the cucumber thinly. Season with salt.
Two: Add the rest of the ingredients.
Three: Mix until it is completely coated with the sour cream. Refrigerate until serving.
Mizeria (Polish cucumber salad)
This dill cucumber salad recipe is based on Mizeria, a traditional Polish dish. Mizeria is normally made with sour cream, but you can use 0% Greek yogurt to keep it lower in calories.
Interesting fact: Mizeria is the Polish word for "misery". There is nothing miserable about this fresh, summery dish though, and Polish people do not associate the word with being miserable.
Traditionally, made with just cucumber, sour cream, lemon juice and dill, this is a lovely, simple side salad. You can, of course, add other ingredients to this cucumber dill salad recipe, if you wish. Thinly sliced spring onions (scallions) or radish are both a good addition, as well as chopped fresh tomatoes. Instead of the dill, use chopped chives, mint or parsley.
If you want to make this extra creamy, then some feta crumbled on top before serving is delicious. Stilton is also a great addition.
What to serve it with
In Poland, this is served with, among other things, pork schnitzel, but it makes a great side dish for many meals. Here are just a few ideas of what to serve Mizeria with:
You can make it in advance and keep it in the fridge, but for the crispest and freshest taste we recommend dressing it just before serving.
This will keep in the fridge, in an airtight container, for up to 2 days. It is not suitable to freezing, as the liquids will form ice crystals, causing the sour cream to split when defrosted.
Yes, if you want to make this a little lighter, then you can swap the sour cream for 0% Greek yoghurt.
• If you want a less sour taste, leave out the lemon juice.
• Replace the sour cream with yogurt to save some calories.
• Dress the cucumber just before serving to maintain its crispness.
• You can peel the cucumber if you prefer, but we love the peel.
• For a little extra flavour you can add some finely crushed garlic.
More salad recipes
If you’ve tried this Polish cucumber salad, then let us know how you got on in the comments below.
Tag us in your creations on Instagram @hungryhealthyhappy - Use the hashtag #hungryhealthyhappy too.
Cucumber Dill Salad (Mizeria)
- 1 Cucumber
- 4 tablespoon Sour cream
- 2 tablespoon Fresh dill - chopped
- 1 Garlic clove - crushed
- 2 tablespoon Apple cider vinegar
- 2 pinch Sea salt
- 1 pinch Black pepper
- Slice 1 Cucumber thinly. Season with 2 pinch Sea salt.
- Put into a bowl and add 4 tablespoon Sour cream, 2 tablespoon Fresh dill, 1 Garlic clove, 2 tablespoon Apple cider vinegar and 1 pinch Black pepper.
- Mix until the cucumber slices are completely coated with the sour cream mixture. Refrigerate until serving.
- If you want a less sour taste, leave out the lemon juice.
- Replace the sour cream with yogurt to save some calories.
- Dress the cucumber just before serving to maintain its crispness.
- You can peel the cucumber if you prefer, but we love the peel.
- For a little extra flavour you can add some finely crushed garlic.
This looks gorgeous. I've only recently discovered 'creamy' cucumber salads and they're delicious. Your recipe looks so easy and tasty - thanks!
This looks and sounds perfect for all the cucumber growning in my garden .. can't wait to try it
You had me at ready in 5 minutes. This salad is delicious with the fresh dill!
I love the combination of dill and cucumbers! This salad is super easy and big on flavor! The more dill the better!