Perfectly grilled Halloumi with a drizzle of honey piled on to soft, fluffy Greek Flatbreads and then scattered with our favourite Greek inspired toppings. This is our go-to quick and easy lunch at the moment. Why not give it a try next time you are looking for some lunch inspiration? It's easy to adapt too.
Some kind of sandwich is always a good option when it comes to an easy at home lunch, or something to wrap up and take to work. But don’t get stuck in a sandwich rut. There is so much that you can do with a flatbread. Try something different by grilled up some halloumi and swap those boring slices of bread for a flatbread instead and load it up!
If you are looking for some other easy lunch options, then why not try our Epic Cheese Sandwich, The BEST Prawn Sandwich, Easy Salad Jars or Greek Pasta Salad.
Why you will love it
- A delicious way to use halloumi - If you are not sure how to use halloumi, then this is a great place to start.
- Quick and easy lunch option - This is so quick and simple to make. Make the hummus and tzatziki in advance so this is even quicker to put together at lunch time.
- Adaptable - Use this recipe as a base and then adapt it with your favourite sandwich/wrap ingredients
- Halloumi - Try to use the best quality, authentic halloumi that you can, rather than a supermarket own grilling cheese. You will be able to taste the difference.
- Flatbread - You can use store bought flatbreads, or you can make our Homemade Flatbread Recipe.
- Hummus - Homemade is always best, however you can use a good quality store bought if you prefer. Change things up a bit by using different flavoured hummus, like roasted red pepper.
- Tzatziki - We use our Homemade Tzatziki Recipe. If you wanted to add extra vegetables to this, then swap half the cucumber for grated courgette.
- Lettuce - This bulks it out a bit and there is so many options. We used rocket because it is nice and peppery. However something like little gem will add a nice crunch.
- Bell pepper - An easy way to add some colour. For extra flavour you could use roasted red pepper.
- Onion - This adds some crunch. I know not everyone enjoyed raw onion though, so you can easily leave it out or soften it in some oil first.
- Olives - It's not a Greek dish without some olives. Use your favourites. Add more flavour with some stuffed olives. We love garlic stuffed.
- Pomegranate - This not only adds a pop of colour to the finished dish, but a real burst of fresh flavour too.
- Honey - This drizzled on halloumi is amazing. We love the combination of the sweet and the salty.
A full ingredients list with measurements is in the recipe card below.
How to make Greek flatbreads - Step by step
One: Slice the halloumi about 1cm thick.
Two: Add a little oil to a griddle pan and heat on low. Put the halloumi on to a griddle pan and cook for 3 minutes each side.
Three: Sprinkle the flatbreads with a little cold water and place under the grill until heated. Spread the flatbread with hummus or tzatziki then fill with chopped salad, sliced olives, the halloumi, honey and pomegranate jewels.
What is halloumi?
If you haven’t had halloumi before, you are seriously missing out. It is a semi-hard, unripened, brined goat and sheep’s milk cheese and because it has a high melting point, it makes it great for the grill pan.
Halloumi might just be the best cheese there is. It’s much more of a main event, rather than a last minute addition, due to keeping its shape when cooking and that unique salty flavour, and it’s a delicious addition to any kind of sandwich.
If you love halloumi, why not try our Halloumi Salad, Halloumi Fries, Halloumi Pasta or Halloumi Fajita recipe?
How to grill halloumi
There are many ways to cook halloumi, but we find doing it on a griddle pan or out on the BBQ the best way, as it cooks really quickly and you get those nice grill lines on the slices of cheese.
You want to cut the block of halloumi into about 1cm thick slices, so it doesn’t fall apart. Then simply oil the griddle pan or grill on the BBQ and then place the halloumi on. Cook for about 2 minutes each side. You don’t have to oil the pan, but we add a little so it doesn’t stick and burn.
Frequently asked question
You could cook the halloumi in advance, however it dries out so it is best served freshly cooked. You could make the tzatziki and hummus in advance and keep it in the fridge until you are ready to make up the flatbread.
As long as you are using gluten free flatbreads and making sure that there is no cross contamination, then these can be gluten free.
There are 465 calories in this recipe. It is super filling too.
If you want to bulk this out to even more of a filling meal, then why not serve it with our Greek Potatoes.
• These are best eaten fresh. However, you can wrap these up and keep them in the fridge until the next day.
• The best way to cook halloumi is either on a griddle pan or out on the BBQ, as it cooks really quickly and you get those nice grill lines on the slices of cheese.
• For a true Greek street food flatbread, add a handful of fries to the filling.
• Other filling ideas are chicken, lamb souvlaki or falafel.
• If you like some spice in your food, then you could add a sprinkle of red chilli flakes before serving.
More halloumi recipes
If you’ve tried this grilled halloumi cheese, let us know how you got on in the comments below.
Tag us in your creations on Instagram @hungryhealthyhappy - Use the hashtag #hungryhealthyhappy too.
Grilled Halloumi Greek Flatbreads
- 250 g (8.75 oz) Halloumi
- 1 teaspoon Olive oil
- 4 Flatbreads
- 4 tablespoon Hummus
- 4 tablespoon Tzatziki
- 20 g (1 cups) Rocket (arugula)
- 1 Red bell pepper - sliced
- 0.5 Red onion - sliced
- 4 Olives - sliced
- 4 teaspoon Pomegranate jewels
- 4 teaspoon Honey
- Slice 250 g Halloumi into blocks about 1cm thick.
- Add 1 teaspoon Olive oil in a griddle pan and heat on low. Put the halloumi onto the griddle pan and cook for 3 minutes each side.
- Sprinkle 4 Flatbreads with a little cold water and place under the grill until heated.
- Spread the flatbread with 4 tablespoon Hummus or 4 tablespoon Tzatziki then fill with 20 g Rocket (arugula), 4 Olives, 1 Red bell pepper, 0.5 Red onion, the halloumi, 4 teaspoon Honey and 4 teaspoon Pomegranate jewels.
- These are best eaten fresh. However, you can wrap these up and keep them in the fridge until the next day.
- The best way to cook halloumi is either on a griddle pan or out on the BBQ, as it cooks really quickly and you get those nice grill lines on the slices of cheese.
- For a true Greek street food flatbread, add a handful of fries to the filling.
- Other filling ideas are chicken, lamb souvlaki or falafel.
- If you like some spice in your food, then you could add a sprinkle of red chilli flakes before serving.
this looks like such an incredible recipe! I love how simple it is but the flavors sound so delicious!
Helen at Casa Costello
Oh i love the colours of your open sandwiches. A tiny bit addicted to flat breads at the moment due to overdosing on boring tortilla wraps over the year. Pillow like is the perfect adjective!
Annie @ Annie's Noms
I love how vibrant these are, they look so delicious! Halloumi is my favourite at the moment, can't seem to stop buying it and I love finding new ways to enjoy it. Making these ASAP!
This recipe looks nutritious and delicious. Keep up the good work
A Cypriot gyros - yummmm! I love halloumi, especially grilled or breaded.
I love the idea of these Flatbread sandwiches! They look so delicious!
Marlynn | Urban Bliss Life
I love flatbreads, and this recipe looks so vibrant and flavorful. Great for warm summer nights out on the deck!
I know what I will be having for dinner tonight! This looks easy and delicious!
This looks absolutely delicious! Will for sure be making it soon. Nothing beats halloumi!
Love the sound of this! Looks so delicious too. It's perfect easy dinner option for busy families. Will definitely give this a try.
This grilled flatbread looks and sounds amazing! I can't wait to fire up the grill and get this recipe going! Thanks for sharing!
This sandwich looks amazing. I often do get stuck in the sandwich rut. It's nice to see something different. This is a sandwich I see myself eating and enjoying.
I love these flatbreads from Deli kitchen! Halloumi wraps look amazing!
This is my kind of dinner. We eat halloumi a lot so always a fan of recipes like these!
Mmm, I love a flatbread sandwich for lunch. I haven't done much with halloumi, I need to try this!
I thoroughly enjoy such easy to make dinner recipes! Looks great too.
Yes to everything on this flatbread! I love grilled halloumi and your recipe sounds just perfect. Yum!
This recipe is new to me, and I am loving how well you have explained everything about it in your post. I will try it for sure.
Great recipe. I've never tried Deli Kitchen flatbread before, but now I'm very curious. Can I order it on Amazon?
Oh my gosh, Halloumi is so good and grilled sounds wonderful. Love how turned it into Greek flatbread sandwich.