When those ice cream cravings hit, but you want something a bit lighter, why not blend up a frozen banana and make yourself some Banana Nice Cream. A lower in calorie and fat alternative to ice cream, which kids love too. There are so many different ways to flavour nice cream and the topping choices are almost endless. This frozen dessert can be ready in just 2 minutes.
Nice cream just sounds so, well, nice, doesn't it? It implies that ice cream isn't nice, which is of course it is, but if you are looking for a lower in fat and calories alternative then this frozen treat is nicer. This nice cream recipe is also raw, vegan, gluten free, dairy free and with no added sugar.
It is basically a frozen banana that has been blended up to have an ice cream consistency. Yes, really! It's a great way to use up bananas that are going a bit brown, as super ripe bananas are best for this recipe.
Looking for other recipes the use up banana? Why not try our delicious Chocolate and Banana Pinwheels, two ingredient Banana Oat Cookies or our simple Banana Milk?
Why you will love it
- Low calories - There are just 133 calories for a big bowl of this banana ice cream.
- Lower in fat than ice cream - Ice cream is very high in fat, but because this version uses banana rather than cream it is very low in fat.
- Lots of different ways to flavour it - We have kept this banana nice cream recipe simple, but have given lots of different add-ins so you can have it a different way every time.
- Vegan - Looking for an easy vegan alternative to ice cream? This is it!
- Kids love it - I don't know a kid that doesn't love ice cream, but they love this nice cream too. Perfect for hot summer days when they have already had 236 ice creams.
- Bananas - You need frozen bananas for this recipe. We always keep bananas in the freezer to use in either this, smoothies or our 5 minute healthy frozen yogurt. Make sure the bananas you freeze are really ripe.
- Cocoa powder - This is optional, if you want to make chocolate nice cream.
A full ingredients list with measurements is in the recipe card below.
How to make nice cream - Step by step
One: You will need frozen bananas for this recipe. If you don't already have some in your freezer, you can break the bananas up and put into freezer bags. Place in the freezer for 2-3 hours.
Two: Put the frozen bananas into a food processor and blend for 2 minutes until an ice cream consistency forms. You will need to stop the food processor a couple of times to scrape the sides down and carry on blending. It will look like crumbs to begin with, but keep going as it will start to get creamy. If your blender is really having trouble with the frozen bananas, add a little milk to help it.
Health benefits of bananas
Bananas are a great source of potassium, vitamin B6, fibre and carbohydrate, and some vitamin C too. They do have a lower water content than most fruit, so bananas typically have more calories as well as a higher sugar content compared to other non-tropical fruits. But, this is still a lighter version of ice cream.
Bananas full of potassium, which is one of the most important electrolytes in the body, helping to regulate heart function as well as fluid balance. It is a key factor in regulating blood pressure.
First I blended just a banana, to keep it simple and then I took it one step further. Oh yes - I live on the edge! I added cocoa powder and made chocolate ice cream. SO GOOD! The list is almost endless of the things you can add to make different flavours.
Some of the other ingredients we like to add to banana nice cream instead of cocoa powder include frozen strawberries or cherries to make a berry ice cream, peanut butter to make a nutty ice cream or vanilla extract for something subtle. You could even add some orange zest to this chocolate version. We like stirring in some of our Homemade Healthy Nutella too.
Basically, think of all your favourite ice cream flavours and you can probably recreate them with nice cream. Love mint choc chip? Mix in some peppermint extract and chocolate chips. Cookies and cream your favourite? Crush up an Oreo or two and stir it in.
Banana Nice Cream Toppings
Ice cream is all about the toppings isn't it? We added some dark chocolate chips and coconut flakes, but you can go really crazy here. Kids love this recipe anyway (it is tried and tested on many, many kids), but what they will really love is adding the toppings themselves. Sprinkle, sauces, chopped nuts, chunks of fruit, anything goes here.
If you want to make this banana nice cream scoopable (rather than soft serve which is what it is like straight after blending), then put it in a container back in the freezer for 2 hours and then you can scoop it. Any longer than that and it will be too hard and you will need to let it soften for 10-15 minutes before scooping.
If you don't like banana, then this isn't really for you because it does still have a banana flavour. But the creaminess of banana lends itself really well to an ice cream alternative when it is frozen.
Yes, this is naturally vegan. Just be mindful of what you mix into it or what you add as toppings. If you want going to sweeten it, don't use honey if you want to keep this vegan.
If you don't want to have to blend up the bananas every time you want some of this, you could make a big batch and then keep it in the freezer like you would regular ice cream. You would need to let it soften a big before serving though.
Eating this straight from the blender it has a soft serve consistency. If you want a more solid ice cream, then put it in the freezer for about 30 minutes to an hour and it will be more scoop-able.
Make sure you peel and chop the banana before freezing. This will make it easier to blend.
• Really ripe bananas are best for this, so it's a great way to use bananas that are going a bit brown.
• You will be a high powered food processor to make this. You might also need to scrape down the sides a couple of times. If your blender is really struggling with this, add a little milk to make it easier to blend.
• To make this nice cream taste even more like ice cream a little more indulgent, it needs some fat blending into it like nut butter or coconut milk.
• You can make a big batch of this and then put it back in the freezer. It will need softening a little again before serving.
• Make sure you chop the bananas up before freezing them, as this will make it easier to blend them.
• If you eat the nice cream right away, it will be like soft serve. However, you can put it back in the freezer for 30 minutes to harden it a little and make it scoop-able.
More dessert recipes
If you’ve tried this banana nice cream recipe, let us know how you got on in the comments below.
Tag us in your creations on Instagram @hungryhealthyhappy - Use the hashtag #hungryhealthyhappy too.
Healthy Chocolate Nice Cream
- 2 Banana - peeled and cut into slices that have been frozen for at least 2 hours
- 2 tablespoon Cocoa powder - (unsweetened)
- Put the frozen banana pieces into a food processor with the cocoa powder.
- Blend until it forms a creamy ice cream consistency. (see notes below)
- Really ripe bananas are best for this, so it's a great way to use bananas that are going a bit brown.
- You will be a high powered food processor to make this. You might also need to scrape down the sides a couple of times. If your blender is really struggling with this, add a little milk to make it easier to blend.
- To make this nice cream taste even more like ice cream a little more indulgent, it needs some fat blending into it like nut butter or coconut milk.
- You can make a big batch of this and then put it back in the freezer. It will need softening a little again before serving.
- Make sure you chop the bananas up before freezing them, as this will make it easier to blend them.
- If you eat the nice cream right away, it will be like soft serve. However, you can put it back in the freezer for 30 minutes to harden it a little and make it scoop-able.
Banana nice cream is one of the very easiest desserts you can possibly make.
Thats such a simple and a healthy ice cream !
Healthy and icecream in one sentence- thats what I like ;)
Rach @ This Italian Family
I love making this sort of "ice cream"! So delicious!
And that really does sound like a lovely day! :)
I don't like chocolate ice cream but I'd be interested to try this in a different flavours, simple and effective is what I love when it comes to food. I have never been to Blackpool but it does look fun, glad you had a good time
helen @ Scrummy Lane
Here's to living on the edge, Dannii, if it leads to delicious and healthy treats like this!
This is something I've been wanting to try for AGES ... must do, now that you've reminded me again!
this is such a fun recipe, healthy and delicious!
This ice cream recipe looks fab I do like the sound of a healthy ice cream especially if its chocolate
Healthy chocolate ice cream? I'm listening! This looks great
What a great idea, the ice cream sounds so tasty. Looks like you had a lovely day at the beach. We are so lucky here, the coast is just a short drive away
We had this after our roast dinner last night and it was lovely. A little too banana tasting for my daughter, but the rest of us really enjoyed it and my sons asked for the same again tonight, but with peanut butter. Thank you for the recipe xx
What a brilliant idea. I have just put some bananas in the freezer ready for tonight. Fingers crossed.
Glad the weather warmed up there! Love ice cream and will definitely try this one :)
How delicious does this sound? Another one of your recipes to add to my list! x
Becca @ Amuse Your Bouche
You can't beat a day out to the seaside! Love the sound of this ice cream, definitely just the thing I've needed this week :)
Harriet from Toby & Roo
You had me at "healthy chocolate" and then you made me swoon with "ice cream" haha! Love this recipe! H x
Yummy, I love chocolate and banana so it's a thumbs up from me ;-)
Alida @My Little Italian Kitchen
Your ice cream screams for summer! You are always so creative!
YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!! You are amazing. Great recipe!
I need to remember to keep some bananas frozen in my freezer because this sounds just amazing x