Lasagna is probably the ULTIMATE comfort food and it doesn't get any easier than this Skillet Lasagna recipe. Layers of rich meat sauce, pasta and cheese all done in one pan on the hob in under 30 minutes. It freezes really well, so make a big batch for delicious leftovers.
We love lasagna. I mean, who doesn't? But it's a fairly labour intensive meal and then you have the wait when it goes in the oven. Not with this skillet lasagna recipe! This is a one pan lasagna, with minimal layering and still all the comforting flavours you know and love from a lasagna. Comfort food just got easy!
Ingredients and substitutions
- Oil - Use a good quality olive oil.
- Shallots - You can use any onion, but we think shallots makes it a little sweeter. You can use frozen onions to save time.
- Garlic - Freshly crushed is best, but to save time you can use garlic paste.
- Mushrooms - These are a great way to bulk out a lasagna, as they have a real meaty texture.
- Beef mince - We use lean less than 5% fat for our skillet lasagna. You can use a vegetarian meat alternative if you prefer.
- Pasta sauce - You could use a good quality store bought one to save time, or you could use our Passata Pasta Sauce.
- Lasagna sheets - Use fresh, as this is a quick cooking recipe.
- Cheese - Cheddar, parmesan and mozzarella all go well in a skillet lasagna recipe.
A full ingredients list with measurements is in the recipe card below.
How to make skillet lasagna - Step by step
One: Heat the oil in a pan and add the shallots, mushrooms and garlic. Gently cook for 3 minutes until softened.
Two: Add the mince and cook for 3 minutes until browned.
Three: Add half the tomato sauce (marinara), stir and gently simmer for 2 minutes.
Four: Put the lasagna noodles on top and add water.
Five: Add the rest of the marinara.
Six: Top with cheese.
Seven: Cover and cook on a low heat for 15 minutes until the cheese has melted.
This meal pretty much has it all, but we are definitely a fan of double carbs. So, that means a few slices of homemade garlic bread on the side. Slice up a French stick and then spread it with a mix of butter and crushed garlic. You can then sprinkle it with a little cheese and some dried herbs before putting it in the oven for around 7 minutes. You could also try our Cheesy Garlic Bread or Air Fryer Garlic Bread.
We love trying to get greens into any meal, even if they are on the side. So a big green salad like or Watercress Salad or Rocket Salad is a delicious addition to this. You could also serve it with our Roasted Garlic and Herb Mushrooms, Roasted Tenderstem Broccoli or Spanish Olives.
Lasagna is always a great batch cook meal for freezing, as it reheats well. After it has fully cooled, portion it out (do some mini portions for kids too, as this is a kid favourite) into freeze-able containers and it will store in the fridge for up to 3 months. Once it is defrosted you can reheat it the microwave for a couple of minutes or in the oven until it has heated through.
You can also store this lasagna in the fridge for up to 3 days. We always make extra just because the leftovers are SO good.
A skillet lasagna is really easy to make vegetarian. You can use your favourite meat free alternative and follow this recipe in the same way, or you could skip the meat/veggie alternative and use just all vegetables. Bulk it out with mushrooms, aubergines, courgettes and peppers.
This lasagna is a great opportunity to get some extra vegetables in your meal. We kept it fairly traditional with shallots and mushrooms, however you could add some finely chopped carrots and celery or some aubergine (eggplant) and courgette (zucchini). Corn goes well and our kids love that addition.
Once you have added the beef mince, you could wilt some spinach in for a green boost too.
More Italian recipes
Easy Skillet Lasagna
- 1 tablespoon Olive oil
- 3 Shallots - peeled and diced
- 3 Garlic clove - crushed
- 6 Mushrooms - diced
- 500 g (1.1 lb) Beef mince
- 500 ml (2 cups) Tomato pasta sauce
- 5 Fresh lasagna sheets
- 150 ml (0.66 cups) Water
- 60 g (0.5 cups) Cheddar cheese - grated
- Heat 1 tablespoon Olive oil in a pan and add 3 Shallots, 6 Mushrooms and 3 Garlic clove. Gently cook for 3 minutes until softened.
- Add 500 g Beef mince and cook for 3 minutes until browned.
- Add half the 500 ml Tomato pasta sauce, stir and gently simmer for 2 minutes.
- Put 5 Fresh lasagna sheets on top and add 150 ml Water.
- Add the rest of the pasta sauce.
- Top with 60 g Cheddar cheese.
- Cover and cook on a low heat for 15 minutes until the cheese has melted.
- Make this vegetarian by using a meat alternative, or just bulking it out with more veggies.
- If you don't want to make your own sauce, you can use your favourite pasta sauce instead.
- You can use cheddar, Parmesan or mozzarella on this recipe, or even a mixture of the three.
- This is a great batch cook meal, so make extra and then freeze it for easy week night meals.
- Give this recipe a green boost by wilting some spinach in at the same time as the beef.
- If you want to make the cheesy top nice and crispy, then pop it until the grill for a couple of minutes before serving. A good quality pan is recommended for this - we use the Circulon Ultimum Frying Pan(aff).
The nutritional information provided is approximate and is calculated using online tools. Information can vary depending on various factors, but we have endeavoured to be as accurate as possible.