Lasagna is probably the ULTIMATE comfort food and it doesn't get any easier than this Skillet Lasagna recipe. Layers of rich meat sauce, pasta and cheese all done in a pan on the hob in under 30 minutes. It freezes really well, so make a big batch for delicious leftovers.
We love lasagna. I mean, who doesn't? But it's a fairly labour intensive meal and then you have the wait when it goes in the oven. Not with this recipe! It's all done in one pan, with minimal layering and still all the comforting flavours you know and love from a lasagna. Comfort food just got easy!
Why you will love it
- Easy comfort food
- A family favourite
- Cooks in just 30 minutes
- Freezes well
- Easy to make vegetarian
How to make skillet lasagna - Step by step
One: Heat the oil in a pan and add the shallots, mushrooms and garlic. Gently cook for 3 minutes until softened.
Two: Add the mince and cook for 3 minutes until browned.
Three: Add half the tomato sauce (marinara), stir and gently simmer for 2 minutes.
Four: Put the lasagna noodles on top and add water.
Five: Add the rest of the marinara.
Six: Top with cheese.
Seven: Cover and cook on a low heat for 15 minutes until the cheese has melted.
What sauce to use
The sauce is such an important part of a lasagna, so you need to get it right. Which is why we think homemade is best and we use a double batch of our Easy Tomato Pasta Sauce. It's so simple and uses ingredients you probably already have in your cupboard now.
If you don't fancy making your own sauce, then you can just use a jar of your favourite pasta sauce.
What to serve with lasagna
This meal pretty much has it all, but we are definitely a fan of double carbs. So, that means a few slices of homemade garlic bread on the side. Slice up a French stick and then spread it with a mix of butter and crushed garlic. You can then sprinkle it with a little cheese and some dried herbs before putting it in the oven for around 7 minutes.
We love trying to get greens in to any meal, even if they are on the side. So a big green salad is a delicious addition to this. You could also serve it with our Roasted Garlic and Herb Mushrooms, or Spanish Olives.
Lasagna is always a great batch cook meal for freezing, as it reheats well. After it has fully cooled, portion it out (do some mini portions for kids too, as this is a kid favourite) in to freeze-able containers and it will store in the fridge for up to 3 months. Once it is defrosted you can reheat it the microwave for a couple of minutes or in the oven until it has heated through.
You can also store this lasagna in the fridge for up to 3 days. We always make extra just because the leftovers are SO good.
A skillet lasagna is really easy to make vegetarian. You can use your favourite meat free alternative and follow this recipe in the same way, or you could skip the meat/veggie alternative and use just all vegetables. Bulk it out with mushrooms, aubergines, courgettes and peppers.
This lasagna is a great opportunity to get some extra vegetables in your meal. We kept it fairly traditional with shallots and mushrooms, however you could add some finely chopped carrots and celery or some aubergine (eggplant) and courgette (zucchini).
Once you have added the beef mince, you could wilt some spinach in for a green boost too.
• Make this vegetarian by using a meat alternative, or just bulking it out with more veggies.
• If you don't want to make your own sauce, you can use your favourite pasta sauce instead.
• You can use cheddar, Parmesan or mozzarella on this recipe, or even a mixture of the three.
• This is a great batch cook meal, so make extra and then freeze it for easy week night meals.
• Give this recipe a green boost by wilting some spinach in at the same time as the beef.
• If you want to make the cheesy top nice and crispy, then pop it until the grill for a couple of minutes before serving. A good quality, oven-proof pan is recommended for this.
More Italian recipes
If you’ve tried this recipe, let us know how you got on in the comments below.
Tag us in your creations on Instagram @hungryhealthyhappy - Use the hashtag #hungryhealthyhappy too.
- 3 Shallots - peeled and diced
- 3 Garlic clove - crushed
- 6 Mushrooms - diced
- 500 g (1.1 lb) Beef mince
- 500 ml (2 cups) tomato pasta sauce
- 5 Fresh lasagna sheets
- 150 ml (0.66 cups) Water
- 60 g (0.5 cups) Cheddar cheese - grated
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the shallots, mushrooms and garlic. Gently cook for 3 minutes until softened.3 Shallots, 6 Mushrooms, 3 Garlic clove
- Add the mince and cook for 3 minutes until browned.500 g Beef mince
- Add half the tomato sauce, stir and gently simmer for 2 minutes.500 ml tomato pasta sauce
- Put the lasagna noodles on top and add water.5 Fresh lasagna sheets, 150 ml Water
- Add the rest of the marinara.
- Top with cheese.60 g Cheddar cheese
- Cover and cook on a low heat for 15 minutes until the cheese has melted.
- Make this vegetarian by using a meat alternative, or just bulking it out with more veggies.
- If you don't want to make your own sauce, you can use your favourite pasta sauce instead.
- You can use cheddar, Parmesan or mozzarella on this recipe, or even a mixture of the three.
- This is a great batch cook meal, so make extra and then freeze it for easy week night meals.
- Give this recipe a green boost by wilting some spinach in at the same time as the beef.
- If you want to make the cheesy top nice and crispy, then pop it until the grill for a couple of minutes before serving. A good quality pan is recommended for this - we use the Circulon Ultimum Frying Pan(aff).
Brilliant recipe and, as I only had dried lasagne, I used that with a little more water and an extra 10 minutes cooking. Perfect! I’ll be making this again.
So glad you enjoyed it.
I love an easy, tasty skillet lasagna! I paired it with a side salad and it was delicious! I can't wait to make this lasagna again.
I'm very excited by the concept of a skillet lasagna. Such a genius idea, why did I think of that. I'm so doing this!!
We love this lazy lasagna! It's super easy and you better double up because you'll always want more more more! LOL
This looks amazing! And thanks so much for the veggie tip, going to make this for dinner tonight. Lasagna in 30 minutes is my kind of lasagna!
Amazing combination and delicious dish.My family loves such amazing meals.
This is such a fabulous recipe! So easy and tasty! I'll definitely be making this again.
I love that it is really easy to make! Thanks for the recipe!
It's been a while since I made lasagna, and I have been meaning to make it for quite a while now. This recipe is so inspiring I need to make it this week!
That looks perfect for a busy evening and low in calories too!