Just 5 ingredients and you have a Garlic Prawn dish that you can use so many different ways. These Lemon, Garlic and Herb Prawns (Shrimp) are the perfect addition to any tapas spread, but can also go on a salad, stirred in to pasta or in tacos. There are lots of other healthy prawn recipes in this post too.
If you are looking to include more seafood in your diet, then prawns (shrimp) are a good place to start and this is one of our favourite healthy prawn recipes. They are really easy to cook with, very versatile and providing you don't overcook them so they become chewy, they are hard to get wrong.
We kept the flavours really simple here and loaded up the garlic and herbs, with a lemon sauce. You could add a little chilli too if you want a kick of spice.
If you are looking for some other garlic heavy recipes to try, then why not try our Easy Garlic Sauce, Cheesy Garlic Bread or Garlic Spring Greens.
Why you will love it
- Low in calories - There are just 127 calories a portion.
- Low in fats and carbs - These a filling, as they are protein packed, but they are low in carbs and fat. A great healthy prawn recipe.
- Just 5 ingredients - Just a few ingredients and you have a lovely light and fresh meal.
- Versatile - There are lots of different ways that you can serve this.
- Quick and Easy - Ready in just 5 minutes.
- Prawns - Try to use jumbo king prawns, as they will shrink once cooked, and then bigger ones look better when serving up.
- Oil - This make up a lot of the sauce, so use a really good quality olive oil.
- Lemon - This adds a lovely freshness to the dish and pairs really well with the prawns. To give it an extra lemon flavour, use lemon zest and juice.
- Garlic - Fresh garlic is best, although you could use frozen or in a jar if that is all you have. When crushing it yourself, make sure it is crushed in to almost a paste, so that there is an even distribution in the sauce.
- Parsley - This is scattered on before serving. You could swap it for basil or coriander if you prefer.
A full ingredients list with measurements is in the recipe card below.
How to make Garlic Prawns - Step by step
One: Put the olive oil in a frying pan and add the prawns, lemon juice, zest and garlic and cook for 3-4 minutes until the prawns turn pink.
Two: Pour in to a bowl and scatter with fresh parsley before serving.
We are a little bit tapas obsessed at the moment. Having recently returned back from Spain, where we ate tapas every other day, we are keen to carry on eating tapas as much as possible. One thing you will pretty much always find on a tapas menu is gambas (prawns). The Spanish like to keep them simple and they are usually served up with olive oil and a tonne of garlic, and we never complain about that.
We still wanted to keep ours simple, but add a little bit of extra flavour and freshness, so we added some Lemon and parsley.
Here are some of our favourite tapas recipes from around that would go really well with these Garlic Prawns. We have a wonderful Spanish Omelette, some tasty Paprika Chicken Skewers, some smokey Spanish Rice or some crispy and spicy Patatas Bravas. We also have some tips if you are having your own Tapas Dinner Party.
Healthy prawn recipes
Prawns are a low-in-fat protein source and they are so versatile. You can use them in pasta, salads, sandwiches and so much more. They are a good source of selenium, which is one of the most effective antioxidants at maintaining healthy cells. They also contain high levels of zinc, which is important to develop a healthy immune system.
What to serve with garlic prawns
Whilst the temptation to just eat them out of the bowl before serving up is strong, there is so much you can do with these. If you are putting together a tapas dinner party then these Lemon, Garlic and Herb Prawns (Shrimp) are a must on the table.
They are also delicious paired with a green salad and some avocado for a quick lunch. Have you tried our Prawn and Avocado Salad? Why not make them into a prawn cocktail with our Marie Rose Sauce.
Love tacos? These make some tasty and quick fish tacos - just throw in some slaw (have you tried our Mexican Coleslaw?) and avocado salsa and you are good to go.
Frequently asked questions
Interesting fact - whilst there is a lot of discussion between people in the UK and US over the difference between prawns and shrimp, and most people thinking they are the same thing just different sizes, they are actually totally different. They share similarities, but they are not the same. We have used both in the name of this recipe, as you can use either type.
Yes, as long as you make sure there is no cross contamination, then these can be gluten free.
Yes, you can do, but you will need to add on a minute or two to the cooking time.
• You can use any leafy herb selection you like - this recipe is a great way to use up leftover herbs.
• Like a kick of spice in your food? Add a sprinkle of red chilli flakes before serving.
• Eat these straight out of the bowl, or put them on a salad or in some tacos with some homemade coleslaw.
• If you are using fresh prawns, these will only take 1 minute to cook.
More prawn recipes
If you’ve tried this garlic prawn recipe, let us know how you got on in the comments below.
Tag us in your creations on Instagram @hungryhealthyhappy - Use the hashtag #hungryhealthyhappy too.
Lemon, Garlic and Herb Prawns (Shrimp)
- 350 g (12 oz) Raw king prawns
- 2 tablespoon Olive oil
- 1 Lemon - (Juice and zest)
- 4 Garlic clove - crushed
- 1 handful (1 handful) Fresh parsley - finely chopped
- Heat 2 tablespoon Olive oil in a frying pan and add 350 g Raw king prawns, juice and zest of 1 Lemon and 4 Garlic clove and cook for 3-4 minutes until the prawns turn pink.
- Pour in to a bowl and scatter with 1 handful Fresh parsley before serving.
- You can use any leafy herb selection you like - this recipe is a great way to use up leftover herbs.
- Like a kick of spice in your food? Add a sprinkle of red chilli flakes before serving.
- Eat these straight out of the bowl, or put them on a salad or in some tacos with some homemade Mexican Coleslaw.
- If you are using fresh prawns, these will only take 1 minute to cook.
This looks so good! I’m not a big seafood person, but when I’m in the mood for it shrimp can hit the spot! Ive never thought to season it with lemon before, but I’ll certainlt be giving this a try, thanks for sharing!
This looks incredible! Kind of reminds me of prawn ceviche. Will definitely try it out, thanks!
I absolutely like this easy-to-prepare recipe! With prawns you need to have a good way of adding taste to them, so,.. thanks for sharing your idea :)!
What Corinne Did
This is mouth watering! I love anything with garlic and I bet i must taste amazing with prawn! Oh my i am getting so hungry now!
We are having a family potluck, and these prawns sound fantastic. Just the right amount of flavor and easy to prep!
This looks super delish. I had no idea that shrimp and prawns were different. This is going in my recipe list to try out.
I love shrimp so much and this sounds delicious. My husband and I will often grill shrimp and have them with veggies. It's such a great dinner!
I would love more 5 ingredient recipes like this. I know Jamie Oliver has a book on it, but I love how your recipes use simple every day ingredients.
These in a taco is what I am going to have for my lunch tomorrow. With loads of guac. Thanks for the recipe.
Great photos! So simple and so delicious. Oh yes, great for a tapas dinner party.
My husband loves shrimp so I'm booking marking this recipe to make later! Also your photos are gorgeous!
Katie | Healthy Seasonal Recipes
This is making me want to go back to Spain! I love Tapas too! Totally worthy of being obsessed about IMO.
Bintu | Recipes From A Pantry
What a perfect combination of flavours for prawns, this sounds delicious and a real summery dish!
Annie @ Annie's Noms
I love lemon with seafood! These prawns look absolutely delicious and they would disappear so quickly in my house!
This looks really good! I love garlic in anything! Lovely pictures..
You got me at garlic and prawns! Perfect combination and fairly easy to make. This meal is fit for a king and queen wish I was invited to the feast.
That shrimp dish looks and sounds so good and simple. Always a great combo!
These look really garlicky, which is great for me. This would be a good way to use up leftover herbs too and have a mixture.
These look really easy. I like the idea of having them one a salad with some avocado.
I love tapas and gambas is something I always order. Will definitely be making this soon.